The luck of the Irish

lew

Awhile back my daughter bought a lottery ticket & won $500

Last month she won a trip to the Bahamas.

All expenses paid, all inclusive with airfare, transportation, hotel, food, drinks and even gratuities, for 2 people and she's going in February.

Yesterday she bought a lottery ticket & won $75

I think I'll give her some $$$$ to invest for me :lol:

My Mom is the same way. She's won trips, concerts, cd's, a bike and countless other things.

When I bought my first car after college, a Mercury Sable, she asked me to drop off a ballot at the dealership... Well that ticket won her and Dad a trip to Mexico!

Edited to add: she's Irish as well :D

Edited by Rod Caster

My sister in law is like that. Wins laptops, trips to Florida, caribbean and a bunch of other places. One time she won two trips at the same time and had to give one away. It really is quite remarkable.

I say take her to the race track and ask her what horse she likes. Slap the works on it. Worse thing that could happen is that you would just have to go back to fire fighting. From what I gather, you like fire fighting anyways. :-)

Worse thing that could happen is that you would just have to go back to fire fighting. From what I gather, you like fire fighting anyways. :-)

I did enjoy firefighting, very much, but I enjoy retirement MUCH more :lol:

Speaking of Irish.....

Waaaay back in 1953 some good friends of my folks won $56000 on the Irish Sweepstakes which was an absolute fortune back then.

I don't know what it would convert to in todays dollar but it would probably still be huge.

They were just newly married & it set them up really nice as they bought a new house, furniture, car and whatever else they needed.

Bad part though, was after they won the loot, they abandoned all their old "poor" friends.

Speaking of Irish.....

Waaaay back in 1953 some good friends of my folks won $56000 on the Irish Sweepstakes which was an absolute fortune back then.

I don't know what it would convert to in todays dollar but it would probably still be huge.

They were just newly married & it set them up really nice as they bought a new house, furniture, car and whatever else they needed.

Bad part though, was after they won the loot, they abandoned all their old "poor" friends.

That would be a huge payout for someone in Ireland back then. I've been reading Frank McCourt books, so if their living conditions were anything of the like, I can almost understand how they'd want to get out. Franks early years were in the 1930s so maybe things had gotten a bit better in the 50's... Still it doesn't seem the most honourable thing to do to leave your people in the dust. Did they move to Canada after winning or stay in Ireland?

BTW Lew, What's your daughter doing the first week of April....do you think she would like to meet us in Vegas.... :thumbsup_anim:

If you pay for her trip in full Bob, I'm sure she could suggest a few wagers for you, although I doubt she'd guarantee the results :lol:

Lew, Alot of the times they don't abandon their friends.What happens is you fall out of the social click.

NO morage.car payment,Education and retirement payed for(nose not being held to the grind stone).You loss the

common bonds between friends.