Induced Drag - Absolutely non fishing

irishfield

I've been asked a few hundred times or more why I fly with the boat "backwards" on my airplane. Came across this today.. and it pretty much tells the tale, as the boat is semi streamline going backwards.. it's not going pointy end first! 2.6 times more draggy going what many would think is the correct way. Your dynamics knowledge for today....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ftq8jTQ8ANE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember seeing a clip years ago were a model T was more aerodynamic going backwards than it was going forward.

it must be different for different styles of vehicles. i remember watching a mythbusters episode where they tested this myth and discovered that the car was in fact more aerodynamic going forwards.

it must be different for different styles of vehicles. i remember watching a mythbusters episode where they tested this myth and discovered that the car was in fact more aerodynamic going forwards.

I saw the mythbusters episode as well, can't remember the turd of a car they used for that one. And it was specific to that vehicle that some speculated that is was more areodynamic backwards.

The original one with the pre 1950's car showed how much smoothly the air traveled off the "back" of the car while it was going backward.