Movember Chrome

Aaron Shirley

I got out with Mike for a day last week. We had a good time and got into some nice fish. We started off drifting roe and got a bunch, then switched gears and cast hardware. Nothing like a good hit on hardware. Mike is really dialed into his hardware technique and lit them up well near the end of the day. I lost an absolute tank while I was posing for the camera when I should have been on top of the fish when it scraped it's face in the shallows to rid my lure :blush: Ooops! Still gave me a great fight though :)

We didn't take many pics, but thought I'd share this one. Ever wonder what you look like with a mo Mike? I was a little bored last night :lol:

Chromers_11-2011_05.jpg

I was able to get out for a couple of hours in the late afternoon before work today locally. I got into some nice fish drifting roe. Water was mint and there was some fresh fish in. I'm not sure who works anymore, as there were guys at every spot on a Monday. I pulled three hooks out of one fresh fish. Despite the fish getting pounded all day, they were still biting :D I'm sure the prime water conditions and fresh run fish helped to keep the bite steady all day. I really like being able to get out for a quick fish so close to home and do well, as it doesn't happen often with timing perfect conditions. I think the tribs will be shot for a couple of days now with the rain we're getting.

Chromers_11-2011_01.jpg

Chromers_11-2011_02.jpg

Chromers_11-2011_03.jpg

Chromers_11-2011_04.jpg

OK, I know some of you will see the rod in these photos and think "what the heck, I thought Aaron said he wasn't going to get the new RType float rod because he didn't like the handle?". Yes, I did state that here recently that I didn't like the handle on the new RType float rod because I don't like to fish my pin so far up on the handle. My post here actually was the reason Rapala wanted to send me one of the prototype rods they had for me to try out.

They informed me that the rod was extremely light and that I could place my centrepin further down the handle by the top of the split grip. They told me that it would surprise me, balance out well and have a lot of handle above the pin. Although skeptical, I told them I would try it out and tell them what I think.

Well they were right. I am quite shocked actually. I didn't think I would like it at all. I placed my pin just above the split grip and it balanced the rod nicely and feels good in my hand. After using it a few times now, I actually really like the design. The rod blank and guides are really light and the handle is comfortable. It feels natural to use it, and it's lighter than my North Coast float rod. It definitely feels and looks much nicer than the $150. price tag it has. They have obviously put a lot of thought into this float rod.

The light blank and guides are nice for me, as I have a bad shoulder injury from work and the long rods can be painful to use all day. So far, the RType float rod hasn't been painful to use with my bad shoulder. I hope they don't want me to give it back :lol:

The tribs will be rockin' in a few days :)

Good fishing!

Aaron

LMAO @ Mike.

Nice fish guys.

So whats the advantage of the bottom end of the rod not being covered with cork?

With the cost of cork these days it's cheaper for the manufacturer. That's about all I can come up with.

(Don't say it's a weight saver. Lord knows 4" of cork weighs an absolute ton LOL!)

Wah wah wee wah!!!!

What was that?

Are you drinking Billy? :lol:

LMAO @ Mike.

Nice fish guys.

So whats the advantage of the bottom end of the rod not being covered with cork?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no advantage to any split grip design rod for any technique in terms of rod performance. The rods still perform the same as if the handle was fully covered in cork IMO. They still catch the same amount of fish. There may be a small difference in overall weight that you would most likely not notice. I believe that all split grip design rods out now are just the 'modern look' of a new fishing rod. Most new rods out these days have a split grip design. It's simply the trend with an up-to-date rod.

Does the new RType float rod's split grip design look modern? Yes. Does it help the performance of the rod? No. Apart from the split grip look to the handle, I really like a few things about the design of the new handle. The handle is comfortable to use, has nice accents and is more 'gripy' than traditional cork. The angled butt of the handle is more comfortable when I lean the butt of the handle up against my body when the rod is at a 45 degree angle. The butt sits flat against my body in this position, where a traditional handle butt does not. The angled butt isn't a huge deal, but it is a nice touch to the overall handle design.

Overall, I am a lot more impressed with the handle design than I thought I would be. As I stated earlier, I didn't think I would like it at all. As it turns out, I really do like it. I actually don't use the area without cork like I thought I would. I'm still surprised by that.

Thanks for the reply once again Aaron. Like Mike said,I thought maybe it was to save on the cork,but like you said,seems to be the norm for the new look. I do like the fact they left a nice nub at the butt.Im a forearm guy and the butt cork would be nice for a rest. If that makes sence to you all.

I have to check them out when they reach the stores here.

Thanks for the reply once again Aaron. Like Mike said,I thought maybe it was to save on the cork,but like you said,seems to be the norm for the new look. I do like the fact they left a nice nub at the butt.Im a forearm guy and the butt cork would be nice for a rest. If that makes sence to you all.

I have to check them out when they reach the stores here.

It is to save on cork. Why do you think it's all the rage now with so many manufacturers?

The fact that people like it is a gigantic bonus.

Price out some fluoro grade cork just for fun. Or better yet try and find some period.

Rod manufacturers have adapted to the situation.

I wasnt doughting you Mike,just making a statement.

Me too! ;)

The use of burl cork on the entire handle is another huge cost cutting measure.

Because really fine natural cork is next to impossible to source, many manufacturers are utilizing the manmade stuff.

It's much cheaper and readily available.

It is much grippier than pure cork, but it's also substantially heavier.

Anyhow, that all said I had an opportunity to check out the Rapala float rod, and it's surprisingly light and not droopy in the tip at all.

Edited by solopaddler