Buying Rods for Presents

MCTFisher9120

Hey guys, well it's that time of year again and I am almost done my Christmas shopping. I still need to get something for my dad and uncle and I know just what they need.

I want to get my dad a new spinning setup and for the uncle just a rod. I am having trouble deciding what rods to get them. They will both get a 7'MH Spinning rod, they love to fish in the weeds with me but those 6'6M rods just don't cut it and I'm tired of the struggle with every fish they bring in lol. A step up in power will make a difference with some 20-30lb braid to boot.

Anyway, any sour or good reviews on the Convergence, Clarus, or Voltaeus spinning rods by Shimano? They have all there new rods out and I'm not sure what to get. For the few extra $$ I they might be better off with the Clarus or Voltaeus rods but for a few less if these Convergence are of good quality I'll settle up with them.

The reel for dad will be a Sedona, most likely a 2500 size.

Anyway just would like a little feedback on these three series of rods. I have delt with many broken Shimano rods and all come back replaced so I know warranty isn't a issue between either series.

Tightlines,

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Mike, the Voltaeus is actually a very good rod. the tip is very soft on the 7' Med rod so you can see and feel even the lightest bite and it has the backbone to horse a fish out. I bought the MRS a SELUS rod and it's a bit heavy but still feels ok. the newer better rod's are a great product and very nice to fish with so it's all about your budget in the end.

ive had all of those, and for the spinning setup id go with the convergence. its a nice pricepoint rod.. i have 4-5 of them now and im happy with them. i bought them off ebay auctions from gloomis.us, they would usually sell for 20-30$.

i think lebaron had some pretty good prices on them.

Bought my brother a 7'2" heavy action clarus last year for some frog fishing, and if the spinning rods are anything like this rod, I'd go for the clarus. And with the changes they've made this year, you're basically getting a compre from last year. Can't go wrong IMO there, plus the warranty is great. Most stores will replace them over the counter now for the cost of shipping, but I don't think you'll experience that hopefully.

Thank's for the reply's guys. I know this is now a "frog rod" but a 7'MH spinning is better than a 6'6m spinning. They are not getting 7'5h or 7'h casting rods from me this year lol...the rod for the job.

They just need some more power. It appears there are 7'2MH Clarus rods now, might just be the one I'm looking to get for the two...maybe the 6'10MH's...well see

Anyway thanks for some reinsurance in the low end Shimano products :)