Curing Roe

cjgraham

Wow, theres some old school.And if I may add a trick to getting the air out. I did the same as Dave,Gerber jars. I would put a piece of wax paper in it and light it on fire and close the lid. A trick that was shown to me by an ole timer.

I HAVE HEARD OF THIS TRICK BUT WAS NOT SURE HOW TO DO IT, THE LADY WHO TOLD ME ABOUT THIS USED THIS METHOD IN HER MASON JARS FOR PICKLES. DO YOU LIGHT IT UP INSIDE THE JAR AND CLOSE IT, OR YOU CLOSE THE JAR AND LIGHT IT UP AND PUT IT ON TOP?

For some of those that might have tried this,did you?

Back in the early 80,s I read an artical about soaking small pieces of sponge, in ,cod liver oil and aness and wax.Spelt wrong I know.I did this and it worked for me. I would clip away and make it look like a roe bag. Just asking.

in

Sounds interesting. Have you used that 'trick' lately? How do you apply the wax?

I HAVE HEARD OF THIS TRICK BUT WAS NOT SURE HOW TO DO IT, THE LADY WHO TOLD ME ABOUT THIS USED THIS METHOD IN HER MASON JARS FOR PICKLES. DO YOU LIGHT IT UP INSIDE THE JAR AND CLOSE IT, OR YOU CLOSE THE JAR AND LIGHT IT UP AND PUT IT ON TOP?

You light it and drop it in the jar while still lit quickly put the lid on while still burning, it will burn until the oxygen is all used up and go out. If done correctly when the air inside the jar cools the lid will snap and seal with an audible snap and seal . No oxygen = no spoilage :thumbsup_anim:

You light it and drop it in the jar while still lit quickly put the lid on while still burning, it will burn until the oxygen is all used up and go out. If done correctly when the air inside the jar cools the lid will snap and seal with an audible snap and seal . No oxygen = no spoilage :thumbsup_anim:

So thats how you do it....Thanks guys

Edited by spinnerdoc

This guy was a prolific writer on steelheading back in the 70's and the first place I heard of sponge vaseline balls many years ago, haven't touched sponge since yarn became popular with all the pretty colours in the 80's, lot less hassle :thumbsup_anim: FWIW here is a link for making sponge balls straight from the original horses mouth.

http://record-eagle.com/daverichey/x75049104/Dave-Richey-Vaseline-balls-for-steelhead

Another version -

In a baby food jar partly filled with roe, take a wooden or paper match and place it in the roe so it stands up by itself (head up of course). Light the head of the match and screw the lid on before it goes out. When done correctly, you'll hear a pop the next time it's opened. ;)

This guy was a prolific writer on steelheading back in the 70's and the first place I heard of sponge vaseline balls many years ago, haven't touched sponge since yarn became popular with all the pretty colours in the 80's, lot less hassle :thumbsup_anim: FWIW here is a link for making sponge balls straight from the original horses mouth.

http://record-eagle.com/daverichey/x75049104/Dave-Richey-Vaseline-balls-for-steelhead

Lots of good reading there Dave,Thanks for the link.

http://record-eagle....s-for-steelhead

Interesting read. But I think he meant open cell foam rather than closed cell: closed cell won't soak up anything.

Interesting read. But I think he meant open cell foam rather than closed cell: closed cell won't soak up anything.

Correct Bill, we used open cell and it took a lot of searching in the housewares depts.to get the right stuff, a shiny translucent foam worked way better than the more dull opaque stuff. Never went to the extreme of vaseline impregnating it, just ran balls of foam maybe some sent and like I said when yarn came out it was abandoned.

The key to it keeping is no air, and as little moisture as possible. Period.

I use the same method as Bill.

Another tip is to freeze them in the ziplocks in a single layer of eggs. This way they stack nice in a tupperware container, and when you take them out, they thaw a little quicker for those days your in a rush.

No cure for me, just straight fresh roe.

I scrape skien, and leave it in a strainer, with a sheet of paper towel on top, in the fridge over night. Most of the juice will fall thru the strainer into a bowl. Dry eggs keep for a long time. The moisture causes frost in the bags, and thats what kills the eggs.

BTW, I haven't drifted a trib for many, many years, but this is how we did it in the late 80's-90's, when there were more fish than fisherman!!

S.