Float fishing report

icefisherman

Well,

after going with a friend watching him last week, then bugging Mike/Solopadler with never ending questions for advice....I went and bought new Islander Steelheader centerpin reel, 13' Streamside float rod, line, breathable waders, wader boots, etc....all from Josh in Woodstock...spent too much with the big question can I actually use all this stuff and can I learn this totally new to me type of fishing....I knew I'd like doing it...so today was the test day ha ha ha....after hours of watching on the web various casting methods....armed with just 4 roe bags I was given last week I landed on the river...I cut them split them in half and re-tight them again. This way I had more to work with...

Must have done 2000 casts today...my right arm is hurting me big time ....but I got fish...6 of them...all nice size bows./..landed 3 of them...average size 6-7 Lbs...I catch them all the time from the boat in the Blue Zone all summer long but with the downrigging rod/reel and strong braid line/hook they have no chance....here ...waoooo....what a show, acrobatics, trashing....runs....you name it...learning how to use the rod and reel on the go....loved the whole thing....and I am HOOKED big time now ha ha ha...need few more weeks and couple trips with some pros to correct some mistakes that I am sure I am making...and then....those bows better be watching for me :Gonefishing:

Anyhow....few shots from today with my cell phone....

WP_000081.gif

WP_000083.gif

WP_000079.gif

WP_000084.gif

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Yes Bill I did see the tail...not sure though....see if other experts can comment on it....didn't expect to catch a Coho today in the river for sure :rolleyes: Yes second and forth pictures are of the same fish...with the last one releasing it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Hey Mike,

Comments like that coming out of you the float fishing Pro you are ....well lets just say I just hope and pray to get lucky enough to go fishing together with you so I can learn more in person....thank you for the tremendous patience answering my questions....

I may not always get so lucky but I think I can manage this new type of fishing....pratcise and more practise....that is all :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Dude next time you out in the blue do what I do for good long time clients (speaking as one who were one of the first to go there , many 50 /75 fish days, have boated many high teens fish 17 / 18 pounds ), 15 foot rods sorry guys still useing lamiglass (sp), mouching reel ,10 pound line , boat out of gear , lots of fun and none of that river , creek nuttiness. You will never see me as long as I have a 40 foot boat standing in what to they say "FROG WATER" flossing fish . Just my ho , not to step on any ones redd , to many all ready have .... delete this Roy if you must but still I have many guys who love this because of the nonsence that they have found on the tribs . This post is not gonna get me any friends . But I know at least one guy on this board that with his family (dad , granddad etc. put fifty in the boat and lost as many , and never had to fight with some guy who hogged their spot ...

Emil I feel your excitment.I too ,am totally loving the NEW.

Bruce, I hear ya,(great times)but up here you look for your own spots and some you get pointed to by those that trust.(yah theres community spots still). Nothing like down in the southern tribs though. I have found spots(with lots of leg work) that you will not see a soul.

Again Emil,great job.

Many here have helpped me get into this new style,well from what I have seen,it,s an old style ,thats just gotten bigger.

Dude next time you out in the blue do what I do for good long time clients (speaking as one who were one of the first to go there , many 50 /75 fish days, have boated many high teens fish 17 / 18 pounds ), 15 foot rods sorry guys still useing lamiglass (sp), mouching reel ,10 pound line , boat out of gear , lots of fun and none of that river , creek nuttiness. You will never see me as long as I have a 40 foot boat standing in what to they say "FROG WATER" flossing fish . Just my ho , not to step on any ones redd , to many all ready have .... delete this Roy if you must but still I have many guys who love this because of the nonsence that they have found on the tribs . This post is not gonna get me any friends . But I know at least one guy on this board that with his family (dad , granddad etc. put fifty in the boat and lost as many , and never had to fight with some guy who hogged their spot ...

Each to their own Bruce. Sorry for my earlier reply.

Edited by solopaddler

Bruce, I too fish the blue zone and let me tell you that I'd rather catch three in the river than fifty out there. If your fishing light lines out there, the fish are dead when you release them. If you fish salmon gear, realing in a bow is about as sporty as realing in a wet sock. So again, icefisherman good job!

So a member posts about his incredible first time experience and you piss on his cornflakes by suggesting these fish are better angled in the blue zone?

Are you aware Emil fishes the blue zone all the time?

Exactly what nonsense are you referring to on the trib's?

I river fish all the time and am exposed to none of it, so please elaborate.

Everyone always has a choice as to where they fish. You can either fish in crowds or not fish in crowds.

Many people appreciate walking and wading a river in a beautiful wild environment.

You sound so sure that you're right, smug almost. It doesn't reflect very well on you, especially considering your supposed experience in the sport.

I've rigger fished out in the blue zone myself tons of times. You know what? I'm not a huge fan, although I enjoy it from time to time.

I prefer to be holding my rod and actively fishing as opposed to watching one in a holder waiting for it to pop.

But then different strokes for different folks. What it all boils down to is there is no right or wrong. Do whatever you get the most pleasure from.

In retrospect my earlier responce was uncalled for. Every one must be able to give their opinions without being bashed for it. I apologize.

As for Emil, hey man you did way better on my first time on the water.Cheers

Edited by spinnerdoc

He's ignorant Mike that's all it is. Everybody has their own cup of tea, this guy just chooses to piss on others.

Capt. Bruce= :asshat:

He may come accross as that to you,but like many here,it,s thier feeling on what the fishery is.

Im not defending Bruce here,as he can for himself,but to call him an a$$ well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You take it up with him.

Many comment thier thoughts here,but being called an a$$ is not called for.IMO

I am the member in which he spoke of,and can tell you,our family enjoyed our time out with bruce, he is one of the nicest guys you would meet.Just like me at times,I say things that make others say yer an ass. Do I care???????????NOPE.

He may come accross as that to you,but like many here,it,s thier feeling on what the fishery is.

Im not defending Bruce here,as he can for himself,but to call him an a$$ well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You take it up with him.

Many comment thier thoughts here,but being called an a$$ is not called for.IMO

I am the member in which he spoke of,and can tell you,our family enjoyed our time out with bruce, he is one of the nicest guys you would meet.Just like me at times,I say things that make others say yer an ass. Do I care???????????NOPE.

He's a big boy I'm sure he can handle himself. Perhaps calling him an ASS is uncalled for. To assume people fishing creeks and rivers, "flossers" is utterly ignorant...and that means your included in that as well...as I and a lots here. So he does not like to fish that style that's ok too. I know everybody has their opinion on the fisheries: river rishing, Charter fishing or anything that's related to it.

PS: I never did get a reply from you after getting a message from you out of the blue.

Edited by spinnerdoc

The scenery out in the Blue Zone must be outstanding, looking at blue water all around you for miles, see any deer or grouse out in 300 feet of water, id rather catch 3 fish in a beautiful creek than 50 off the rigger anyday, thats my preference only, might not make any friends from the boating committee, but im sure the river runners will know theres more to fishing then catching fish

You answered my question. :dunno:

Good fishing Emil.ENJOY :Gonefishing:

I did. Anyway it still stands, any time your in the Mississauga area your welcome to see it ;)

Emil that one fish with the bite mark, looks like a big lamprey got to it. Has any one actually got a fish in the rivers with them lampreys on?

Edited by spinnerdoc

Guest chase4chrome

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in before this one gets locked.

Thx for sharing your new experience with us Emil. I'm happy you gave something new a go and are enjoying it.

That's all I got.

Again Emil...great job :thumbsup_anim:

That's my concern--and generally without explanation.

Rather a good to-and-fro as it were and air things out as adults are wont to do every so often.whistling.gif