Portable Ice Hut Question

danbouck

I'm looking at THIS pop up portable ice hut for this winter. I like this one because it is tall and a good overall size. My biggest problem is my budget, this one looks like the best bang for the buck and is at the very top of my budget.

I'm curious as to how bad the pop up ones really are to set up. I plan on anchoring it down before I pop it up to avoid it being across the lake. Is there a chance of the wind ripping the material around the anchors? I don't plan on being out on really windy days anyway but I know it can kick up fast.

Mine on simcoe was a pain with 30 km winds +. Mind u I have a bigger hut, the 6 man. Even with it anchored and snow mounds along it. The hubs wanted to pop in. Check out the eskimo ones from costco if they still have em. I was looking @ the frabills before, the costco ones are thicker and the quality seemed better. I did have a small problem with the zipper at the end up the season, they sent me a brand new hut.

Dan, did you check out the one's at Cost-Co too?

The pop-up ones are okay as long as you anchor the windy side to the ground before you set them up. most of them offer a different zipper and or amount of stitches per sq cm or something like it. My Clam 2000 is at least 5 years old and I can see the sun shine through it in spots but it's still warm inside. I spray mine down with a water sealer that you would put on your boots from time to time and it helps it last longer too.

Oh and if the one at Gagnon's is still on sale tomorrow and you want me to get it for you let me know. I've got the day off and I'll be in the area (the store) at some time tomorrow.

Geoff

Dan, did you check out the one's at Cost-Co too?

The pop-up ones are okay as long as you anchor the windy side to the ground before you set them up. most of them offer a different zipper and or amount of stitches per sq cm or something like it. My Clam 2000 is at least 5 years old and I can see the sun shine through it in spots but it's still warm inside. I spray mine down with a water sealer that you would put on your boots from time to time and it helps it last longer too.

Oh and if the one at Gagnon's is still on sale tomorrow and you want me to get it for you let me know. I've got the day off and I'll be in the area (the store) at some time tomorrow.

Geoff

Thanks for the offer Geoff, it's going to be my gift from Santa so I won't be picking one up for a few weeks. I drove by there today and was going to pop in to see it but never did.

Reality is that it will only get used 5 to 10 times a year and will be well taken care of so it should last me a long time.

Thanks for the offer Geoff, it's going to be my gift from Santa so I won't be picking one up for a few weeks. I drove by there today and was going to pop in to see it but never did.

Reality is that it will only get used 5 to 10 times a year and will be well taken care of so it should last me a long time.

No problem Dan, I can hide it for you... :whistling: It will last a long time as long as you take care of it (and I know you will) and the wind doesn't cause damage on set-up.

sorry, its not an eskimo at costco, its called the fish inn

they are both good brands. in fact the "fish inn" brand is a primo brand in some peoples mind. heck, I'm looking at it to replace my Clam 2000. But I need other toys and tools first... :wallbash:

*edit to add* Just noticed danbob's comment about the brand change. Cost-co has the best warranty out there so even if you got a 'joe-shmoe' hut before and paid $2xx for it and now they only have the 'jane-shmoe' at the same price but it's better. say hi to Jane...

Edited by GBW

pre drilling the holes make it way easier and quicker then trying to start the anchors into solid ice...

-batteries in your cordless drill don't last long in the freezing cold...

other then that, drying the hut out after a day of fishing... it takes a lot of space to open it up, otherwise there is the possibility of mold growing...

I was looking at that one too, what makes it so much better?

Dan I bought the Gagnon's hut Monday. It doesn't say it anywhere in the ad but I just checked the box downstairs..it is 600 denier fabric. The model you are looking at is 300 denier fabric. So the fabric is twice as heavy. Right there should be enough to convince you to get the one from Gagnons. The fact that it is on for $179 makes it an absolute steal.

I see GBW has already offered to grab one for you...it is a sale so you might wanna commit before the price goes up.

pre drilling the holes make it way easier and quicker then trying to start the anchors into solid ice...

-batteries in your cordless drill don't last long in the freezing cold...

other then that, drying the hut out after a day of fishing... it takes a lot of space to open it up, otherwise there is the possibility of mold growing...

I've got a very good cordless impact and drill so there's no worries there. The impact puts in about 50 5" lags outside in the cold before the battery is dead.

Dan I bought the Gagnon's hut Monday. It doesn't say it anywhere in the ad but I just checked the box downstairs..it is 600 denier fabric. The model you are looking at is 300 denier fabric. So the fabric is twice as heavy. Right there should be enough to convince you to get the one from Gagnons. The fact that it is on for $179 makes it an absolute steal.

I see GBW has already offered to grab one for you...it is a sale so you might wanna commit before the price goes up.

If its 600 fabric id grab either or. Thats the main reason i didnt buy a frabil, their only 300. Yes costcos warranty is amazing. I got a new hut after the season was over lol

Unfortunately it's not in the budget this month so hopefully it's still on sale when I can grab it.

Love my Clam 2000 Dan, like Bill said easy set up, and it won't blow away in the wind. The only drawback is two guys our size would be a bit cramped in it. Although Juli's dad and I shared it on Simcoe last winter, and, we were okay.

Good luck, we'll have to get together (maybe invite that Ryan character too) for an ice fish buddy!

Edited by FRANKIE65

Frank, I have the Nanok which is a bit cramped for two big dudes, but they do make a bigger model (I forget the name).. You can't beat it for the portability and ease of setup. I also got the insulated model, you don't even need a heater!

Dan, think about a Clam... Up and done in seconds compared to that one you posted. Nothing to bolt down...

Love my Clam 2000 Dan, like Bill said easy set up, and it won't blow away in the wind. The only drawback is two guys our size would be a bit cramped in it. Although Juli's dad and I shared it on Simcoe last winter, and, we were okay.

Good luck, we'll have to get together (maybe invite that Ryan character too) for an ice fish buddy!

I really like that clam but I need to consider the space. I would like to have both kids out with me or 2 of my buddies

We'll get together a few times this winter.

Dan, if it's the one you really want let me know and I'll go get it for you and hold on to it.

Thanks for the offer :good:

No prob Dann, let me know.

As much as I love my Clam 2000, you and 2 kids in it just ain't going to happen. even more so considering your kids are older than mine. I'm a massive 180LBs + float gear and I can't have my kids and me in it all fishing, just no room and room for a 3rd hole to fish out of that would be safe when the huts down.

I don't know much about those huts buddy but i can tell u the clam 2000 will be to small for you and the boys in a year or so... ours is going to be tight this year with Averie and Luke... I'm going to make it stretch a couple more years until Claira is big enough to come with us then I'll upgrade to something bigger... I like having a floor big time, but I did fish in Rich's hut one time and having no floor was still ten times better than fishing out in the elements... I'm also crazy and can't stay in one spot very long so I like the fact that I can drag the Clam a round a little...

anwyays, really all I can say is size wise what you're looking at should be good... here's a picture of Averie in our Clam 2000, taking up half the hut by herself...

a524cf4a.png

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

seriously look at the fishinn from costco. it's the same size and twice the fabric for $204 tax included delivered to your door with a great warrenty

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10352729&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|111|22211&N=4010198&Mo=29&No=28&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22211&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

i guess it depends on what you are after.

i own a trap for when i am fishing alone. i wanted a roomy 3 person hut for when i am fishing with family. i bought it figuring if it's crap i will take it back to costco for refund but i like it and am going to keep it even though my budget was 200 higher.

comparing like priced huts it's a nice hut with some down sides. the vents are not covered over from the out side like most huts and it comes with 4 anchors and tie down rope but i am going to upgrade the tie down ropes.

the zippers seem good and i tried reasonably hard to break them. the shell looks good and is much heavier then the other cheap hub huts. it has 2 doors, removable windows that also cover over and it's a canadian company in manitoba even if the hut is made i china

it you want a top of the line hut buy the eskimo quick fish 4

I had one from the Costco and used half of last hardwater season. I can't say anything bad about it, in matter of fact it's really well made with quality fabric and zippers. I bought one from gagnon this week and I like it more. It's made from 600 denier fabric, zippers are good. It's a little bit bigger, pockets for stuff on each sidewall. I liked much more, I had a chance to see this year ice inn from Costco 3 person model, it's not as good as used to be last year. They left only 2 really small windows, used to be 4. Fabric doesn't feel strong enough as old one too.