Lure gift ideas for Christmas

GBW

14 members have voted

1. 1. What one item would you want for Christmas?

• Powder Paint Air Brush?
    • Jig Mold?
    • Soft Plastic Jrub Mold?

Hey all.

So my folks and my in-laws keep bugging me about what to get for me for Christmas.

The three items above in the poll are all I could come up with fishing related.

Also, I can ask one family to get one and the other one to get one. However, my folks are still in Canada and my in-laws are in the USA right now. So I think I better ask them for the one that provides the best bang for the buck so to say... Thanks all.

Geoff

Powder paints for jigs, spoons and spinner blades are hard to beat. Best application as far as I'm concerned is dip and/or sprinkle. The powder airbrushes don't impress me at all, in fact I gave mine away. You can load up on the paints themselves though. As far as lead molds are concerned, I think your best bet for price, quality and an almost unlimited variety is luremaking.com (Hepworth, Ontario). I haven't gotten into plastics....I have enough to do. And besides...the stuff REEKS! :) Good luck to you. Take a look at or download their catalogue if you haven't already.

well, let me give a bit more info as to why I'm asking what I'm asking.

the paint is to use on jig's, blades and hard body lures (make my own patterns).

jig mold, well, if I run low on what I like I can make more.

soft plastics, same a jig heads but I buy right now in bulk but I don't like having to wait for my order (some times a month or longer) and that holds up friends that use the same ones off my bulk orders.

So back to square one I guess (haven't checked the votes yet tho)

ah dang, so I can't sand the ones I have to a rough feel then start over if it's not metal?

You certainly can but you can't use powder paints on wood or plastic. For plastic you could use water based colour(s)/patterns such as Createx then topcoat with a compatible finish such as Dick Nite products or Envirotex for example. For wood, you'd want to sand it SMOOTH not rough because the slightest marks in the wood will show through whatever you use. Then use a quality sealer, then good quality water based paints, Createx works well with wood...then topcoat.