Big Buck Down

LucG

This year's deer hunt started off with great optimism, since for several weeks prior to opener, I was getting on average 400 pics per day on my two trail cameras. There was countless numbers of does and fawns, several small bucks and 3 big bucks. And of course few non-target species showed their faces as well. With several tags to fill this year, I was fairly confident we could have a good year.

A few nuissance animals

mdgc0015a.jpg

mdgc0067.jpg

The bucks I'm after.

mdgc0143s.jpg

mdgc0199.jpg

mdgc0233.jpg

The season started off great with 2 deer taken on the first night. A doe and a small 4 point buck. Satisfied with having some great meat for the freezer, I decided that from that point on, I would hold off for the big bucks. This decision made this one of the most interesting and exciting hunts of my life.

Throughout the rest of the week, I passed on over a dozen deer, both does and bucks. I learned so much about how they react to each other, to the environment, and also how they react to my calls. Most of the time, I had deer within 10-20 yards all around me. To stay undetected felt amazing. I really made an effort to conceal my scent this year, and I think it really paid off.

Here is one of many deer that I passed on waiting for the big buck. I was surprised I could get the camera out and snap some pictures without alerting her at all.

dsc04104x.jpg

This is where I spent my week.

1448swg.jpg

Late in the week one morning, while checking our trail cams we cam upon big buck tracks and a massive scrape. The big one was back in the area!! With all the does around, I was surprised he had even left. I knew that seeing this buck during the day was going to be a tough task. So that afternoon I decided to try a new tactic. I had bought antler rattles in a bag last year, but never used them. It was time to put them to the test.

I got to the stand with the hope of luring in the big one, and after my first short rattle session, I though I scared everything within a 2 km radius away. lol But within minutes I hear sticks breaking and leaves crunching. Then, out comes this little 4 pointer. Trots right up to my stand with what looks like no worries in the world. He circles around the area for a while, eats a few apples then was on his way. I continued my rattling sessions for about 30 seconds at about every 30 minutes. I'd also throw in a few grunts mixed in. The rest of the afternoon was too quiet, I though that maybe the rattling wasn’t such a good idea. But with about half hour of daylight left, I gave it one last shot. Then once again, I hear a deer coming in, and coming in fast. I though for sure that it was that 4 pointer again, but raised my gun anyways. The next thing I saw were antlers coming through the brush. Without hesitation, the buck that I had waited for all week came straight for me. He must have got a whiff of me cause at about 30 yards he stopped dead, put his nose as high as we could. I didn’t hesitate and took him right there. The shot couldn’t have been place better; the only piece of wasted meat was the heart.

My father looks happier than me in this one.

dsc04095ls.jpg

All in all I had a great time. Hunting and fishing are one of the few things I do with my father, so it was great to be able to spend the week doing what we love.

2e190fp.jpg

I also though I'd share a bit of advice regarding safety. My cousin had setup a ground blind to hunt out of and this year we have a couple windy days. One morning when getting to his blind, this is what he found. A large tree nearly flattened his blind. Could have been closer, could have been in it... So always lookout for these hazards when setting up.

140ck1c.jpg

Good luck and stay safe!

Edited by LucG

Luc, first and foremost, Congratulations on your big buck :w00t:B):clapping: Big rack and real beauty :worthy::thumbsup_anim:

Reading through your report, found this quote and immediately got a chuckle

...So that afternoon I decided to try a new tactic. I had bought antler rattles in a bag last year, but never used them. It was time to put them to the test...

Since I have the same bag, never used it and like you, decided that this year I'd give it a shot.... your results were better than mine :lol:

Last weekend, deer was in full rot and rattling is an effective way, just before sun down, to lure a buck towards you B)

Again great job and congratulations!!!

Leechman

Luc, first and foremost, Congratulations on your big buck :w00t:B):clapping: Big rack and real beauty :worthy::thumbsup_anim:

Reading through your report, found this quote and immediately got a chuckle

Since I have the same bag, never used it and like you, decided that this year I'd give it a shot.... your results were better than mine :lol:

Last weekend, deer was in full rot and rattling is an effective way, just before sun down, to lure a buck towards you B)

Again great job and congratulations!!!

Leechman

Thanks Leechman! I can definitely say I will be utilizing them more often. I just don't want to over do it. How do you use them? Quiet or loud? Short sessions or long? I've read and watch plenty of video. I tried to picture two deer sparring and imitate what I though it would sounds like. Often starting with a loud impact sound, then grinding.

Great to see Luc! Sound like a great year of experience for you. Enjoy the meals and the pride!

oh...and... I just wanted to let you know... that.. I love deer meat.whistling.gif

Haha well maybe we can arrange a meal at the ice shack this year.

Thanks Leechman! I can definitely say I will be utilizing them more often. I just don't want to over do it. How do you use them? Quiet or loud? Short sessions or long? I've read and watch plenty of video. I tried to picture two deer sparring and imitate what I though it would sounds like. Often starting with a loud impact sound, then grinding.

I just squeeze the hell out of it to start causing some commotion and vary it for short time (5 min tops) pause, then let out a grunt or two... Then start again for a second round. I can't say what I'm doing is right since I didn't get any results but next year, in full rot, late in the afternoon (second week) will definitely use it to my advantage :)

Great read and nice harvests.

I love ratteling. I had a doe come to me on saturday.Maybe she was being ignored and thought she would get lucky,but no bucks.

I was able to cakl out a doe using the Can beat. The call that is a little can that you flip. It works well too.

I was able to cakl out a doe using the Can beat. The call that is a little can that you flip. It works well too.

I have very good luck with the bleep aswell. Called in a doe from 150 yards to 60,became to dark for a clean ethical shot with the bow.

Untill the neighbours came and screwed it up eh....

Ya,I really like that spot Nick.Have to get out again soon.

Edited by Misfish

All in all I had a great time. Hunting and fishing are one of the few things I do with my father, so it was great to be able to spend the week doing what we love.

2e190fp.jpg

LucG, congrats on the very nice clean buck!

This pictures speaks a thousand words for me. I lost my father this year. I was about your age when I shot a nice buck and have a picture very similair to this one with my Dad grinning ear to ear too. He was so proud of me as I am sure your Dad is.

This is the toughest time for me right now, as we'd normally be up at deer camp together. So thank you for this post. Cherish the time LucG.

Ok, enough of that.

Nice shoot'n tex.

Edited by Harrison

LucG, congrats on the very nice clean buck!

This pictures speaks a thousand words for me. I lost my father this year. I was about your age when I shot a nice buck and have a picture very similair to this one with my Dad grinning ear to ear too. He was so proud of me as I am sure your Dad is.

This is the toughest time for me right now, as we'd normally be up at deer camp together. So thank you for this post. Cherish the time LucG.

Ok, enough of that.

Nice shoot'n tex.

Thanks Harrison! Sorry to hear about your father, it must be tough. I will certainly be framing that one!