trying to catch spooked steelhead

mike rousseau

tried float fishing...

well... after a unproductive morning... we went to a smaller stream to see if we could find a pool with a couple trout...

pool after pool there were already "anglers" there "aggressively" trying to catch the trout as they swam vigorously around the small pools...

finally we found a pool with some trout and no "anglers" to bother them...

we only had the pool to ourselves for about 10 minutes until some "anglers" with questionable "technique" arrived and dropped their floats inches from ours...

after 10-20 minutes of "fishing" these anglers left... but the trout seemed to be very agitated now...

my question is...

can these fish still be caught after this unfortunate situation... or are they spooked for the day...

i have very limited locations due to the fact that this is the first year im trying float fishing... so i was reluctant to leave these fish...

also... how shallow and clear is too shallow and clear?...keep in mind i have limited knowledge and limited tricks up my sleeve...

these fish were in maybe 2 feet of water and crystal clear...

should i still be using a float?

anyways...

thnx for any help

mike

Guest chase4chrome

If you're a centre-pinner I can't help you....float + lead + egg sack + steelhead in gin = zero on, zero landed. I did have some success under similar conditions last year on the Elk. Lots of activity by drifters in a gin-clear pool loaded with fish. I went to four pound tippet and a small, size twelve, blue minnow pattern--only fish from that pool.

Best of luck Mike

My advice to you frankly is find some new water to fish.

Just my opinion only, but catching fish is such a small creek isn't steelhead fishing.

If you're restricted to fishing such tiny creeks and have no other choice, fish the lake where it empties in.

Some of my most memorable days ever have been fishing the mouths of such tiny creeks.

Fish will hit hardware in the lake with a vengence. You can also float your bait out into the lake if winds are favourable.

Many times the best approach is simply still fishing with an egg sinker and a floating roe bag.

Fire it way out into the surf and wait.

Also considering where you live you're missing the boat if you don't cross the border and travel to Pulaski to fish the Salmon River.

It's an incredible fishery with tons of big fish.

Cheers

My advice to you frankly is find some new water to fish.

Just my opinion only, but catching fish is such a small creek isn't steelhead fishing.

If you're restricted to fishing such tiny creeks and have no other choice, fish the lake where it empties in.

Some of my most memorable days ever have been fishing the mouths of such tiny creeks.

Fish will hit hardware in the lake with a vengence. You can also float your bait out into the lake if winds are favourable.

Many times the best approach is simply still fishing with an egg sinker and a floating roe bag.

Fire it way out into the surf and wait.

Also considering where you live you're missing the boat if you don't cross the border and travel to Pulaski to fish the Salmon River.

It's an incredible fishery with tons of big fish.

Cheers

your not the first to tell me to go state side... the tribs are just as close and some are closer then ontario tribs.... and from what ive seen... the river in pulaski is massive...

maybe my next trip be be for american steel...

if you're determined to fish them sit down on a log and give them some time...take off the float, no split shot, no swivel, just your hook and bait...stand back from the bank or well upstream and cast your bait well above the fish and let it drift down naturally, when the line jumps or moves sideways (kinda like a bass bite on a jig) set the hook...used to work all the time for me fishing after the masses on a certain eastern lake O trib...downsize your bait and try to use something different and natural

The quick answer is yes, it can be done. Up until this season most of my fishing has been on highly pressured almost always gin clear creeks, if the fish are in they'll hit you just have to adjust.

Sometimes (as I've done the past 2 weekends) you just have to head out for first light and quit when the bite turns off. There is no fun (or sport) in sitting on a pool of 20 fish in a 6 foot creek trying to coax them into taking a roe bag.

Fish early, quit early. Stand back...nothing worse than standing on top of them. Small baits.

It can be done. But first thing's first you gotta keep your distance from the fish because if the fish feels it's in danger, it probably won't bite. I have my best success fishing small creeks early in the morning. Not only is there less light, the fish are also more active during that time. Small lures work really well. Especially if your in the right spot, but your presentation must be as mint as possible.

It can be done. But first thing's first you gotta keep your distance from the fish because if the fish feels it's in danger, it probably won't bite. I have my best success fishing small creeks early in the morning. Not only is there less light, the fish are also more active during that time. Small lures work really well. Especially if your in the right spot, but your presentation must be as mint as possible.

so it would be pretty tough for a beginer to steelhead fishing...

ok...

Once those fish turn off, you're pretty much wasting your time till they settle down, and that can take a couple of hours, depending how skittish they are and how badly they were mauled in the first place.

The bigger question is, why even bother?

Great comments already posted so no need to totally rehash stuff about being able to see the fish and all. You'll catch a LOT more fish if you just forget the popular spots everyone knows (and beat to death) and instead find your own gems that you have all to yourself. Every single creek flowing into the Great Lakes gets some type of steelhead run. Even rivers with very small runs of fish can provide excellent fishing if you have them all to yourself.

The US is an option, but understand that fishing pressure in many (most?) spots is worse than it is in Ontario. Ironically, mainly as a result of more Ontario guys fishing there.

One last thought - why fish in a creek to begin with? Beach fishing can be excellent, and boat fishing can be better still.

Yes it can be done. Patience is a virtue in your situation. It usually takes 20 minutes to an hour or more to let the fish settle if there isn't any activity around them. Float fishing in 3 feet or less of gin clear water is not the best approach. I would fly fish for them. I know this will sound funny and the hard core fly fishermen would cringe to hear this, but fly fishing with small roe bags can be deadly in your situation when the fish have time to settle down. Soft coloured single egg pattern can also be deadly. You can't go in front of them or to the side. You have to get into position downstream from them and quarter your cast up to them and mend a couple times. No strike indicator, long tapered leaders and light tippet helps to get more bites. I use very little weight, only a couple tiny shot 12" from the fly or roe bag.

Another method is casting size 2 or 3 spinners or small floating Rapalas. You have to position yourself far upstream and make precise casts to place the lure just ahead of them. If you mess up even one cast, your done for a while until they settle down again.

I have done well fishing low gin clear water for steelhead, but it can be painfully slow to catch each fish. The fish need time to settle after each fish is caught.

Regarding the comment of, 'If you can see them, they can see you." is so true. If you weren't already wearing clothes that blend into your background, that would be a start if you're fishing in small creeks with gin clear waters. Crouch if you have to. You standing up and moving about will not entice them to hit.

What has already been re-iterated above, if they're spooked, it's time to take a hike and look for newer waters, deeper pools.

Good luck out there.

I will have to disagree the "fish can see you" statements regarding spooking the fish. Yes, they can see us, and will be spooked, however, that doesn't mean they wont hit. As Kemper put it, floating a bag in front of them ususally doesn't work. And as Aaron stated, he would rather be fly fishing in stuations like these. See something here?

I was at a creek, its absolutely stacked, low and clear. Overall, people said its slow, loogans everyhwere, red and white bobber dropping and flopping all over the place, even a couple of people throwing spoons... most people would turn around and go home. Managed a fish within the first 15 minutes. Fish struck the fly in 8 niches of water, 5 feet in front of me.

Last week, rocking a flatfish, had two fish connect within 15 minutes while people around haven't caught a thing in the several hours they were there. Then I deorated a tree with my flatfish. These fsh also struck my bait, right at my feet.

Adapt to the situation. If you scare the fish and they shoot off, you can try fshing for them, but don't think you will have much luck.

Next time people come to your hole while you're fshing with a buddy, deter them somehow :whistling:

Absolutely... go small .. (single egg) ... go natural .. or go COMPLETELY different ... I have had fish rising within 2 feet of me taking small pieces of orange peel as my buddy flicked them into the river ... you would be shocked ...

The key is to be quiet, enjoy the scenery, let the yahoos move on ... and then fish ... observe, learn (some things spook them, some things interest them) ... the difference is very subtle. And remember .. its the fishing ... not the catching .. .that makes the day.

I will have to disagree the "fish can see you" statements regarding spooking the fish. Yes, they can see us, and will be spooked, however, that doesn't mean they wont hit. As Kemper put it, floating a bag in front of them ususally doesn't work. And as Aaron stated, he would rather be fly fishing in stuations like these. See something here?

x2

small flies, single eggs, beads -from what i've seen/experienced, when the fish are spooked, they will usually take smaller things presented to them