leadcore diameter?

mike rousseau

just wondering if anybody can tell me the aprox line diameter of of leadcore line...

lets say 18 or 27lb kerplunk

i tried finding this info online... but no luck

im looking for the mono size equivelent or actual diameter...

im looking for a ballpark here...

like is 18 or 27lb close to 10lb-20lb-30lb-40lb-50lb mono

thnx trollers

Just a guess here, but, my 27lb l/c is about the same size as 30lb mono....

HH

PS... I gotta do a pictorial of connecting l/c to a mono or floro leader... I've been using the super glue method for years and it works great... and no knotts and far easier to reel in throught the eyelets as well as the trolling reel.

Standard lead core, TUF-Line for example in 27lb test is equivalent to 25 lb test mono, has a break strength of 31lbs and diameter is .045" or 1.145mm.

edited: oops, that would be strength equivalent. Diameter on 25lb mono is approx. .020"

why do you need 840 feet of backing?

isnt that a bit much?

I use my leadcore set ups for multi species use Salmon in the spring and summer and Walleye a few times each spring and lots in the fall I just change the leaders out. I like using a larger real for Leadcore simply for the power that a larger real provides a 45 size real can crank in a 10 colour with little to no effort go any smaller and you must pump the core in and its a reel bugger with a big fish on

Dan

Its most likly closest to 50 or 60lbs mono a 45 size real hold 10 colours and 280 yards of 50lbs braid backing with a 30' 20lbs floro leader just about perfectly

Dan

according to my calculations a size 45 okuma wont even fit the 100 yards of lead core let alone the backing and leader....

the okuma 45 will only hold 85yds of core...

if core diameter is .045

according to my calculations a size 45 okuma wont even fit the 100 yards of lead core let alone the backing and leader....

the okuma 45 will only hold 85yds of core...

if core diameter is .045

I have 2 Okuma clairions with 10 colours of 27lbs sufix leadcore and 280yards of 50lbs sufix performance braid both reels work perfectly and I could probbly fit the extra 20 yards of backing if need be

Dan

i use okuma convector reels,most have 7 colors,i also have a large penn with 10 colors of 18lb,it depends how many colors you want on,that determins how much backing...i think my okuma reels are the 27 series???

Most likey 45's Shawn. The Okuma Convector and Clairon 45's are very popular lead core reels.

Edited by Harrison

I have the Okuma Convector reel (piece of junk that it is...) loaded with five colours of lead core, 50 ft of floro leader and close to 100 yds of 30lb mono backing. It gets pretty darn close to maxing out the reels capacity, but it works. I use this as by far, I'm trolling for Pickereyes and 5 colours is more than enough to get my baits down, but still keep me out of the kill zone.

You may find that 5 colours is not enough for salmon or trout, in which case I have added a snap weight where the core and the backing attach. Seemed to do the trick alright.

HH

I have the Okuma Convector reel (piece of junk that it is...) loaded with five colours of lead core, 50 ft of floro leader and close to 100 yds of 30lb mono backing. It gets pretty darn close to maxing out the reels capacity, but it works. I use this as by far, I'm trolling for Pickereyes and 5 colours is more than enough to get my baits down, but still keep me out of the kill zone.

You may find that 5 colours is not enough for salmon or trout, in which case I have added a snap weight where the core and the backing attach. Seemed to do the trick alright.

HH

how deep do you consider the kill zone.....?

i fish shallow water mostly.... so this kill zone is kinda new to me...