Storing Minnows

Hooked

Well, got the hang of this umbrella minnow net I purchased. And thanks again to those who helped me out on chumming for minnows. I got out the other day and got aton of emeralds. For now, they are in a 5 gallon bucket, filled with lake water, but 90% of them died after a couple hours. :angry: Probably put too many in the bucket. I would like to keep them alive for awhile, perhaps even over the winter months. I have seen those enhanced buckets by Frabill and Rapala with airaters (sp?). But was wondering if anyone else has any other good tips on keeping minnows alive for months? I do recall a thread on this on the old old board. Btw, I would probably keep them in my shed outside, but there is no power to it.

Get a huge Rubbermaid bin and fill it with water (if you use tap water let it sit for 2 days for the chlorine to evaporate). Stick it in a cold place, like your basement and put an aquarium aerator in it. This will be your minnow tank for the winter. Just net the amount you need for the day and put them in your 5 gallon bucket and when you're done throw the live ones back in the tank. You'll have live minnows that should last all winter. The minnows will eat goldfish flakes, and lots of em.

Yeah, I thought that too. I heard they can last for months without eating?

Get a huge Rubbermaid bin and fill it with water (if you use tap water let it sit for 2 days for the chlorine to evaporate). Stick it in a cold place, like your basement and put an aquarium aerator in it. This will be your minnow tank for the winter. Just net the amount you need for the day and put them in your 5 gallon bucket and when you're done throw the live ones back in the tank. You'll have live minnows that should last all winter. The minnows will eat goldfish flakes, and lots of em.

Since I have no power to my shed, and my basement will be way too warm, I will have to look into a battery opoerated aerator. Perhaps just turn it on for a few hours each day? Hmm.

Chlorine in water will kill fish. You can go to any aquarium place to buy water conditioner that neutralizes the chlorine so you dont have to wait....or hope that the chlorine is gone. It's pretty cheap...only a tablespoon for every 10 gallons will do the trick.

Good luck!

The aeration is needed full time. It not only adds O2 but it helps break down the ammonia that the fish waste and food decaying makes. At best the battery will need to be a car battery and charged frequently. If you let it run low on the pump it will sulfur the battery plates and then you get to replace it. I vote for an extention cord if possible and a small aquarium heater to keep it from icing over.

Art

Yeah, Like FinS said, I picked up an old school deep freeze for like 25 bucks that had a dial that allowed me to keep the water cold enough that the minnows were barely active but at the same time wouldn't freeze the water. On top of this I bought a good Fluval Filter from the pet store, along with some water conditioner. My minnows lasted months at a time!!!

This is a pretty instense set up for somebody without electricity in thier shed, but it works like a charm!

Cheers,

UF

Just curious, did you find your umbrella net more effective compared to a conventional minnow trap?

This time of year I can't think of using anything better? If you are in the right area, you can get 100+ minnows in one scoop.

Alot of good ideas here, thanks alot everyone. Think what I might do is store them in my dads garage opposed to my shed. It has electricity and should be cold enough, but not too cold, to store the minnows. I'll probably buy one of those rubbermaid bins Rich suggested, along with an aerator and some water conditioner.

And brifishrgy, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into that limit deal for minnows.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Edited by Hooked

I have a wild idea. See if you can find something called a fish tank :-)

They are usually pretty easy to find and not too expensive. Buy and Sell will have some bargoons and any pet store can probably get you fixed up for pretty cheap.

cheap is the operative word. ;)

Page 5 of the 2005/2006 regs reads "Resident anglers may have no more than 120 bait-fish caught under the authority of a valid fishing license in their possession at any time" (I believe this includes salted monnows also)...

Can't find where it reads this but you can have as many bait-fish you want if they were purchased from a licensed bait dealer...Make sure you keep the receipt in case you are checked...

BTW...I keep my left-over minnows in a minnow pail with the styrofoam insert in the fridge in the garage...they last for a few weeks or get salted down and kept in the freezer...

Edited by Beans