Ice Fishing is just around the corner.......

ckrb2007

Hey guy/gals. With ice fishing being just a few months away I'm starting to get my gear in order. I've always used rods that are 28" in length so there were never any problems loading them into my Fish Trap Guide or Frabill Commando. This year I purchased a few ice rods which are longer..... 32", 36", and 42". I know they wont fit in my Guide under the seat so I'm looking for some ideas/pics of how you carry them on your ATV's specifically. I was thinking about either building a box behind the 2-up seat or just attaching a few pvc pipes to the 2-up seat so the rods can stand sraight up and down. I don't think they make rod holders for 42" ice rods but I could be mistaken.

Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

Colin

I use short little rods. But one of my fishing budies has a few long rods he likes to use.

He just bungies them to his augar, along with his fold up chair on the front of the quad.

If he's on the sled, he has rod mounts similar to the ones shown in the bucket above, just made out of stainless, with a rubber bushing as not to scratch up the rods.

Hey Colin

I was asking the same ? last year

Some on the IceShanty Forum suggested an arrow case made by Plano. However not sure if it would fit a 42" Rod likely OK for up to 32"

I never did get to BPS to look for one! So I am still using the modified 'Bucket'

Rick

I went to Canadian Tire and looked at the Flambeau gun case that was on sale for $29.99 but it was to small height-wise. It would crush my reel if I tried to close it. So, I'm out in the garage tryin' to make something today. Will post some pics when done.

Colin

St. Croix ice rod cases come in two sizes 34 and a 44". There pretty nice. Reels on type. I also have four PVC tubes on the rear rack of my Skandic sled. These are handy when on the ice moving around. Built-in bungy straps keep the rods from flying out. On snowy days the reels can can iced.