Still a good time to fish Pike???

hungryforpike

I recently started fishing pike and understand that as the water got hotter the pike retreat to deeper water during the summer..now that we are seeing cooler temperatures will the pike become more active again? Shallows? Deep water? I normally fish up north, any place "durham-ish" that offers good pike fishing?? Thanks all...

In my experience (which isn't much), they'll move into shallow structures throughout the day. The key is timing. The fall feedbag is just starting, so you'l have to experiment. Shallow bass baits are a good idea, lol. Try to make pattern if you have enough time on the water. Look for weeds, and drop offs, mud to rock structures or other similar variables.

excellent info guys..thanks. Part 2 of that questions is where do you all recommend nearest to durham to find pike??

I've heard Frenchman Bay is good. Even though I've lived within a stone's throw of it for years I only started to fish it after bass season opened this year, by that time the pike had moved well off shore (no boat). I might try it again soon.

Fall pike fishing is great! I think spinnerbaits are key this time of year. If the water is dingy, use something with bright colours.

I agree. I've been doing well with two baits, a chartuesse/red spinner bait, and a texas rigged Berkley chigger craw, black red flake (they've been killing this bait in shallow weeds)

I agree. I've been doing well with two baits, a chartuesse/red spinner bait, and a texas rigged Berkley chigger craw, black red flake (they've been killing this bait in shallow weeds)

Its funny you mentioned that. Last weekend while pike fishing, I would flip the odd lilly pad with a Texas Rigged chigger craw in attemps to catch some buckets. Ended up catching more pike then bass...lol

Its funny you mentioned that. Last weekend while pike fishing, I would flip the odd lilly pad with a Texas Rigged chigger craw in attemps to catch some buckets. Ended up catching more pike then bass...lol

Thats awesome! I started using the chigger craw last year for smallies and did really well. Same this year. But I started pike fishing this year and found this bait to just get smashed time and time again by pike in lots of different situations. 3-5 biggest pike this year came on this bait. One other was on a berkley 5" ripple shad on a jig head, and the other came on a shadalicious 6" swim bait. I've been trying the chigger craw on a 3/8oz jig for walleye, but haven't faired so well, a few small ones and thats about it.

I like using other creature baits like beavers and such, but what I really like about the chigger craw is that it also has a great swimming action. The claws move no nicely in the water, I believe this is what drive the pike crazy.