old truck advice

adolson

So, in the classifieds I saw someone selling a 92 and 94 Dodge Dakota within my budget. I don't know the kms on either, but I know they both need some body work and the 92 needs a new windshield. I believe both are on the road right now. They are both V8 4x4s.

I only want a truck for picking up large things from hardware stores if/when needed, and, primarily, fishing down backroads. So, I don't think there'd be TONS of use on it, that's why I was planning to get something cheap and older.

I've never bought a second-hand vehicle from anyone before, it's only been through a dealer. Is there anything I should ask the seller specifically, anything I should look for, anything I need to know? This is pretty much new ground for me.

Dana check to see if it ever had any trany work done to it , if it has'nt it will, also known to for bad racks ,thats the streering box , and MM is right about the gas thing , and timing chain , and front hubs , they all seem to need thease things when they hit 120000 to 150000 k's , engines are bullet proof other then that .

NO! BUT CHECK THE FRONT CAB MOUNTS AND THE INER FENDERS .......... AND IF ITS THREE IN THE TREE CHECK FOR SLOP IN THE SHIFTER , OTHER THEN THAT BUY IT ....LOL THE 71 WAS MY FIRST TRUCK ,

Wait 'wait 'wait .lol its not the orange one thats in town , no can't be .......

older dakotas were decent but gas guzzlers just remember near 20 years old bound to be issues, the 318 were prone to crank/thrust bearing issues , timing chains and oil leaks, the 4wd is if i remember correctly vacuum operated and the actuator were prone to failure, early o/d trannys had there fair share of issues but if there still on the road chances are these problems have been addressed, but if the price is right there are capable little trucks for off road fishing adventures and boat towing

My suggestion would be to take the truck(s) into any local repair facility and have them checked over.

If mechanically (engine/drivetrain) and structurally, the shop gives you a thumbs up; have the shop go through it/them for a safety inspection.

If you live in an emission testing area; go to www.driveclean.com and check out the truck’s test history; it’s free one of the few things from the government that is. You’ll need the VIN# and it will (or is supposed to) give you the last three test results. If they are fail or conditional passes; you know you’ll be spending money to get them to pass and they must pass for a transfer of ownership.

It’s about the only way (unless you can do this yourself?) that you’ll get a better understanding of what you’re purchasing.

Yes you’ll end up spending a few bucks at the garage; but its better then buying and then finding out that they are going to be money pits?

I run a garage and I beg my customers to bring any previously enjoyed vehicle in for a general inspection before buying. Most times for a regular customer, I don’t even charge them for the basic checks. Not trying to be a hero or anything; but the way I look at it is; if they buy a decent vehicle they won’t mind so much spending money to fix it up. But if it’s a create, nobodies happy; they’re spending good money for bad and I have to work on junk that belongs to a pissed-off owner.

Dan.

Dana, I have bought a few used vehicles. Before I even look at the truck I research the seller.

In this case, if I read your post right, this guy has two Dakota's? Is he a dealer or just a guy flipping them? If he has two for sale, there is a chance he has another one somewhere he stripped for parts.

I only buy used from a regular joe selling their ole daily driver. It has worked out for me.

I think you guys are over thinking this it`s a twenty year old 500 dollar vehicle and in all likelyhood it will have a problem or two!

Probally not worth the cost of a new windshield.

Hey, how did you know the asking price!?

Anyhow, I am starting to feel like it's a waste of time. Unfortunately, I've never spent more than $5K on any vehicle, and I won't be able to spend even half that on a truck for a while yet. I'll just wait it out, I guess, and stick to buying from a dealer - seems the safest. And yeah, I'd want to take it to my mechanic to get an idea of what I'll have to do on it. Thanks all.

Years ago we used to buy old cars for cheap and drive them the rest of the way into the ground and then go get another one.we never fixed them as it was cheaper to get a new one than fix the old one.fond memories of some neat, well used cars and trucks come immediately to mind especially my Renault 4cv :w00t::glare::wallbash:

vance

Personaly Dana this is what i like to use to get out and find the fish , dispite what others say they are cheap to run , started driving thease things in 2004 and know i own eight of them , i still drive the first one i bought in 04 , runs like a top and now going pass 300000 k

I just got a 96 gmc sierra for a thousand bucks. It was off a family friend but hell that things got plenty of life left in it. It isn't v8 or 4x4 but it's a decent truck and drives awesome. Just take your time and look around for private sales. Gotta find that guy that is getting rid of his truck that he's owned for 10+ years because he just replaced it with a brand new one.;)