Burner Baitcaster 7:1, Which one to get?

Minnow

Hey guys,

I need a lowprofile baitcaster for burning spinnerbaits, don't own any with a high retrieve ratio. Planning on fishing some tournaments and really need a good burner to fan cast areas and cover water quickly. Was wondering which ones you guys would recommend? As far as price goes am willing to pay quite a bit since I want a good one that I can hang onto for a while. Need a model that comes in left hand retrieve as well. So far looking at the daiwa zillion but not really sure. Any tips would really help! Thanks again!

i would highly suggest checking what ever reel you're going to buy whether its the diawa or the curado on ebay before you purchase it. In most cases it will be cheaper if you buy it online from an auction. review the feedback and buy wisely, the only downfall is waiting for it to come in the mail. it might be worth it to check out

I was debating over this decision as well, but I settled on Curado 201DHSV (lefty) and purchased it last week. The other reel I was thinking of was Abu Garcia's new low-profile reel, Revo STX, that's been getting great reviews. In the end I opted for Curado mostly because Revo is new and its durability remains an open questions. A couple of helpful reviews for these reels:

Curado 200DHSV

Revo STX

Curado is very popular and a good reel. but, You really have to feel the TD Zillion, and you'll notice the difference in quality and precision, the Zillion is by far a better reel, no comparison IMO. their Magforce Z cast control is amazing and adjustable without taking the side plate off. I looked at Curado, Quantum, Pflueger, and BPS Johny Morris Elite, it was an easy decision so finally bought the Zillion at BPS during their last sale/reel trade in event, regular price $299.99, was on sale for $249.88 less $40 for a reel trade in =$209.88 + tax =$239.27. can't wait to try it.

Yep, I gotta side with Daiwa.....I love Shimano too, have a beautie ChronarchB but I think Daiwa has them beat on braking and drag. I fell in love with the new Daiwa Zillion the first moment I held one in my hand. Guess I'm becoming a bit of a tackle junkie. I managed to pick up both a high speed retrieve and regular at the BPS sale too. At $210 each with a reel trade, the price was right! Couldn't get anyone talked down below $280 at the Sportsman's Show. Daiwa invented the first super free spool on baitcasters, and the Zillion is just a masterful reel for the price. At 8.6 ounces for the 6.3:1 model and 8.8 for the 7.1 high speed model, they're light enough to cast all day with little fatique and we're ready to throw whatever those bass are in the mood for. I've got some line on one, and couldn't help but make a few tosses out in the yard. The dog is a good test for the drag.....kidding! Tight lines, Paul

Edited by Weedman

I have $150 store credit at lebaron does anyone know if they carry the daiwa zillion? Want to go check it out. Thanks again for all the help guys, curado great reel and I have the regular retrieve model and love it. If not the zillion I am going to get a second curado

I jus bought a beautiful reel and i love it..... well actually haven't had the chance to work a fish on it yet but it spins like a dream and is silky smooth..... like you i also need a lefty which they have...

the reel is the New Quantum burner... 7:1 ratio......... got it on ebay for a great price but i think they normally retail for $250 or so....

Those Quantums are pretty sick. My buddy bought one at the fishing show. Almost got one myself, in fact was choosing between that and the Curado and ended up saving some cash and went with the Shimano Citica instead. Its a fantastic reel! 6.2:1 gear ratio, 5 Bearings, 9.9 oz, smooth casting, overall great reel. Don't have anything bad to say about it. It doesn't have the pricetag the Zillion and the Curado do.

I got a Quantum burner and got no complaints i actually picked it up the first year they came out and returned it because the blue color on it started to tarnish they replaced it with no questions

and it casts a mile a minute especially with some heavy lures on it.

Edited by PatrickG

I am a big fan of the Calais DC. It is digitally controlled, and really minimizes backlashes, and allows you to cast into the wind as well. It has 7:1 retreive, and is as smooth as silk, plus it is one of the prittiest lreels that Shimano (or anyone for that matter) makes. It maybe a little pricey, but as you said, you don't mind paying a little extra for something better, and this is the best in my opinion. A reel like this can help you win some tourneys, especially if you plan on fishing against guys like Dave, Wayne and Mick !!!!!!!!