center pin line

mike rousseau

10-12lb Raven mono

For backing I've got dacron on my Islander and fly line backing on my AngSpecs.

why raven...?

i have to problem getting raven gear... i know the owner of the company... just wondering why...

limp?

memory?

strength?

i thought 10-12lb would be pretty heavy... thats what i use for salmon that get over 30lbs...

You'll need backing for your CP reel. I was reading up that with mono, it can tighten and cause stress on the arbour, which would result in a wobbly reel. The idea with backing is to absorb the tension between the mono & arbour.

A friend bought a spool of hi-vis Sufix 10lb mono and has been very happy with it.

Moss green Stren is also good. A lot of people swear by Gamma mono, if you can find it.

well... im gunna get a center pin this year...

im gunna get a starter reel.... the okuma aventa...

now i need to know how to spool up and with what line..

backing?

mainline...?

im leaning towards 8lb test mainline but what brand do you prefer?

thnx

Im not a fan of using 8lb main on my CP, i know alot of guys do it but there are a few reasons i would stay away from 8lb...all IMO of course

The aventa is a started reel, it will certainly get the job done, but the tolerances aren't so hot and line can easily get caught up behind the back plate....going with 12 lbs will probably eliminate this problem entirely....

Another reason is the size of fish your going to be targetting, 8lb main and a 4-6 lead line will handle the majority of the steelhead you'll encounter in ontario....but what about the big girls?

I dont know about you but i dont feel i can successfully land and release a 10+ bow with a 4 lbs lead very consistently...

I usually run 12-14 lbs line, floats are expensive compared to most of your terminal tackle....so breaking the mainline is never a worry for me....the majority of the time im running 8lbs leader line, im always using the highlest leader i can get away with, and i only go down to 4lbs if the water im fishing is extremly clear and the fish are spooked....

Otherwise i never go below 6lbs. Ive lost to many trophy steelhead by following the masses and going as light as possible.

Not any more, go big or go home! lol

As for brands i like good ole' Trilene XT, in red....Ive also used raven mainline and dont mind that stuff as well...

Weather you take the beefed up approach or not, i can assure you fishing with the CP will defiantly become an addiction!

Goodluck

why raven...?

i have to problem getting raven gear... i know the owner of the company... just wondering why...

limp?

memory?

strength?

i thought 10-12lb would be pretty heavy... thats what i use for salmon that get over 30lbs...

Why Raven?

- I’ve only broken off once above the float in the 9yrs I’ve been using it – Even then it was my fault for casting in a tree...Can’t say the same for other brands of lines

- It floats OK

- It’s inexpensive at $12 for 820 yards

- Also comes in low-vis...Don't like hi-vis

Why 10-12lb or higher?

- Why not? Why handicap yourself with something more prone to stretch, abrasion resistance and strength by going lighter?

- 10-12lb Raven doesn’t stretch and dig into itself compared to 6-8lb Raven...After getting a big fish or pulling out of a snag on 6-8lb Raven, getting line to come off the spool naturally is an exercise in futility - It just digs in.

- I don’t like super limp lines...I prefer stiffer lines for pull casting

* With that said, 8lbs Maxima doesn’t break at 8lbs...I’ve tried

Edited by MJL

why raven...?

limp?

memory?

strength?

I also run Raven 12lb on my pins. I've tried tons of other lines and keep going back to Raven. Their 10 and 12 pound lines have a pretty thin diameter for that breaking strength. It's a moderately limp line with low memory so it doesn't get coily on you, especially good for those that side cast. In addition, it floats readily which allows one to easily mend the line once you are drifting.

Edited by wallacio

It's funny how an idea catches on, rumours are spread, people accept it as fact and pretty soon everyone's doing it without really questioning why.

This is certainly the case with using backing on modern float reels.

It's absolutely unneccesary.

It may only be required on older aerial style reels where the spool is constructed with pins.

Straight mono on a reel of that style "may' end up warping the pins.

It is not needed on todays reels that have proper machined spools.

The only reason backing may be needed is because many of todays reels are built with ridiculously deep spools. If you were to fill them right up with mono you'd use 5 miles of line.

I have been fishing with a center pin reel now for well over 30 years. In all that time I have never once had a steelhead take me into my backing.

So for quite a while now instead of backing on my deep spooled reels I've been constructing an arbor for the spool.

For a long time I simply used a level 4wt fly line (weighs nothing) then spooled a coyple hundred yards of mainline on top of that.

Recently I've been buying adhesive backed cork at auto supply stores. Cut a strip to size and stick it around your spool. Bingo, instant lightweight arbor.

I DESPISE using dacron, or fly line backing as is the norm with most guys these days.

Simple reason being it adds a tremendous amount of weight to the reel especially once it gets wet and absorbs water, which it obviously does 5 minutes into your day of fishing.

The added weight in the spool is an annoyance as it will impede startup in slow water.

As far as which mainline to use I'm a big fan of 12lb Raven. (or any other high end mono with a similar diameter)

It's supple enough even at 12lb's and handles and casts well.

It also has the abrasion resistance I require as I quite often slide split shots and floats around either stretching them or condensing them depending on the water I'm fishing.

Bear in mind it's your tippet that the fish will see, not your mainline. The heavier mainline is used simply because it handles and wears better.

It also allows you to bump your tippet up to 8 or 10lb if you're fishing heavy water in big flows...

Another vote for 12lb Raven. I've not had an issue with it. Been very disappointed in the performance of some other lines I tried.

I find the Raven, to be mix of floating, low memory and inexpensive. This way it is easy for me to keep fresh line on my reels. I use the grey colour, a preference, I personally have no use for hi visibility lines while float fishing.

does color matter?

i think hi vis would be nice to see your line but would it spook fish?

ill be running a floro leader... i think... :dunno:

I'm not a fan of hi vis myself.

Many guys who run hi vis will also run a shot tippet of low vis line directly under their float so there's no hi vis below the float, then another micro swivel, then their tippet of choice.

To me this is dumb as it means more knots and potential weak points.

I prefer to keep things simple and will only run a low vis green mainline. Float and shot are all on my mainline, then a tiny black ant swivel and whatever tippet I'm using.

Many guys will say they like the hi vis 'cause it allows them to see where they're drifting.

I personally don't get that as I'm always watching my float intently. Maybe one day when my eyes grow dim and I can't follow my float as easily, maybe then I'll see the merit.

I think hi vis is JUST another fad in the floatfishing world. Seems to be the "in" thing to use 'cause it looks so cool on your reel LOL!

Edited by solopaddler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

personally i like siglon tournament but raven is totally decent (and cheap). i do find that the siglon tangles a little more if i'm cheating and bombing too many sidecasts but i find it's a little easier to keep off the water on longer drifts and doesn't bow in the wind as much as raven or maxima.

i'm not a fan of high vis myself but to each his own.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I'm sure fishing by yourself, you can see your own float. Using hi-vis line is to make sure the clowns fishing beside you can see your line and they don't cast over top of you. lol

Good point made about the adhesive backed cork.

Another point I read about having backing, is to prevent mono slippage around your arbour. I think mono slippage would happen if you don't have your mono snug with your arbour. Some Spahr reels don't require any backing.

I'm sure there's a lot of things that you can setup your line to your own personal preference.

Either way, I felt I wouldn't have used my CP reel much, but after palming the reel when fighting a fish, it's just too fun. I've used my CP reel as much as I possibly could.

One thing I do regret is not getting the better reel right from the get go. You end up spending more money buying a cheap one to test the waters out and when you get hooked onto CP'ing, you end up shelling the money for the more expensive models.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Some Spahr reels don't require any backing.

Anyone have a report on these reels? I know they are local and see the advert on a truck.

I'm sure fishing by yourself, you can see your own float. Using hi-vis line is to make sure the clowns fishing beside you can see your line and they don't cast over top of you. lol

I can see the float fine,I dont see where my line is.Bad peeps,like I said.

Edited by Misfish

I can see the float fine,I dont see where my line is.Bad peeps,like I said.

Brian, on the river you must be like a Jedi...FEEL what the line is doing between the rod tip and the float...You must use your mind not your eyes :D

Brian, on the river you must be like a Jedi...FEEL what the line is doing between the rod tip and the float...You must use your mind not your eyes :D

Wax on, wax off grasshopper.....

Use ancient stealth technique known as crouching tiger-leaping steelhead.

And most important, you must become one with the fish.

:D