Algonquin Park - September for Brookies

mirogak

They're fantastic! I don't mind giving up this info...Ermine lake right at the border of the park near the west gate has very good splake fishing.

How you access the lake is an entirely different matter though LOL!

Hahahah ... in that case I am going to try the lake that is stocked with both.

I rarely troll for brookies. I find it much more productive to cast for them. They are often holding very tight to cover that is impossible to get a lure to while trolling. I wouldn't go onto a brookie or splake lake without;

1. a "5 of diamonds" pattern little cleo

2. a bucktail jig

No difference between splake and specks when they are in the pan....or on the end of your line.

Nah my friend, Tea Lake is closed for the season as of Labour Day. And yes I did fish those spots for bass and they were great. But I only have one thing in my mind - and that is Brookies.

Hmmmm didn't realize they closed in September, that seems early????

Its just the areas you identified have no camp sites, so I just assumed you were staying in the Tea lake camp ground but I guess thats why we don't assume :whistling:

All right folk,

After more due diligence I have new spots and it contains the stocked lakes. But still have some questions:

• Do the wild specks taste, fight or look different than their stocked counterparts?
  • If I were to hit a stocked lake, would it be better to hit the ones that were stocked in great numbers in previous years, rather than the ones that are stocked periodically and consistently in moderate numbers. I guess my uneducated guess would be to hit the lakes that were stocked in previous years, that way they are more "wilder" (for the lack of a better word) and would have grown in size.
  • Also, this time of the year (end of September), its best to troll or cast. If troll, then what depths (near shores?) and if cast, then what are good spots to cast (shoals, bays, around islands, river/creek mouths etc)
  • Lures - I have Williams wobbler (2" long) and mepps #1, #2. These work well? Should I also invest in a Rapala.

Thx,

Miro

I always have an assortment of mepps #0,1,2, panther martin #1,2, small williams wablers, small cleo spoons, and 1-3" rapala plugs with me when im fishing alonquin. If your trolling, try tying a 3 way swivel to the main line, attach a bell sinker on a dropper line to another eye of the swivel, then tie a flourocarbon leader from the 3rd eye of the swivel to the lure you are using. I mostly use this technique when trolling spinners and floating plugs, because the spoons already have some weight so they get you down deep when trolling. If you could buy a few lures I would reccomend you buy a tiny rapala original floater and a mepps XD or black fury #0.

I always have an assortment of mepps #0,1,2, panther martin #1,2, small williams wablers, small cleo spoons, and 1-3" rapala plugs with me when im fishing alonquin. If your trolling, try tying a 3 way swivel to the main line, attach a bell sinker on a dropper line to another eye of the swivel, then tie a flourocarbon leader from the 3rd eye of the swivel to the lure you are using. I mostly use this technique when trolling spinners and floating plugs, because the spoons already have some weight so they get you down deep when trolling. If you could buy a few lures I would reccomend you buy a tiny rapala original floater and a mepps XD or black fury #0.

What is a floating plug?

What is a floating plug?

most plugs float, so what happens is that when your not reeling in, the plug is buoyent so it floats to the surface. almost any plug rapala makes is buoyant/floats at a rest, but dosent really matter because youll be trolling it all the time so it wont get a chance to float to the surface

Hope you have better luck than we did! Went up this past weekend and tried a few corridor lakes for Splake from shore, but only managed some small perch and smallmouth bass. I think it was just too sunny out for fishing (it was a gorgeous weekend!) and perhaps the water hasn't cooled enough for them to be close to shore. I'll probably head back up in 2-3 weeks and try again.

Good luck!!

Edited by FishLogic

Hope you have better luck than we did! Went up this past weekend and tried a few corridor lakes for Splake from shore, but only managed some small perch and smallmouth bass. I think it was just too sunny out for fishing (it was a gorgeous weekend!) and perhaps the water hasn't cooled enough for them to be close to shore. I'll probably head back up in 2-3 weeks and try again.

Good luck!!

Trout Season in the park Closes on the 30th of this month So this weekend is the last weekend. That being said all kinds of opportunities outside the park with year round angling for splake/brook trout

Good luck!!

Ya, the season closes in about 11 days. Forget about going back and fishing out of season.

1,450 views, 38 replies.

....and people wonder why no one gives out any information on the Internet.

Most of the page views are probably repeat visits maybe 3 or 4 groups of anglers will visit a lake mentioned.

More than likely they will catch a few smallies and perch (like FishLogic), maybe a couple of splake.

No reason to alarm. Never seen an increase in fishing pressure from a post. Then again i don't fish tribs.

Hard work and time catches fish. Those that do well are usually good fishermen that are respectful.

No needless worries.

Okay the time is near and I think I am all set.

For lures I have:

- 2 inch Williams wobbler

- Little Cleos 1/4 oz and 2/5 oz (sliver/green and silver/blue)

- 5 diamonds yellow spoons (various sizes)

- Mepps #0, #1

- Blue fox #2

- don't have those minnow/perch type of plugs (cost was adding up fast) I have some top surface plugs and really deep diving ones for bass and walleye

For bait

- nightcrawlers,

- mini marshmallows marinated with garlic and salt (my recipe ;))

- my own dough bait (cheese, dough, cornmeal, garlic, and sugar) ... ;)))

- fresh salmon rowe I got from a Jack I (correction: someone) caught two days ago (no time to cure it)

Spots I'll be hitting (and I don't mean lake names)

For specks concentrate on shoreline structure like large fallen trees, beaver huts, inflows and outflows. Windswept shorelines are also good to key on as well as obvious neckdowns and narrows, especially if they contain shoreline structure.Find granite drops....very steep drops, shoals, and shoreline structure with adjacent deeper water

When that light starts to fade...cast and cast and cast.Work the shoreline and cast to any downed timber.

(these are accumulations of what I gathered from some of you on OFC)

Man, if I don't catch a speck or two, I'd be more heartbroken than I was in grade 10 ;)

I hope to provide a full report when I am back in office on Tuesday.

Ciao,

Miro signing off.

Edited by letsgofishing

I'd put some Rapala Countdowns size 3 (cd-3) as well as some small Canadian Wrigglers on my list. Look for agressive first with lures such as this, and then downsize and slow down your presentation if these don't produce. Leave the live bait at home.

good on you for pursuing a first speckled catch!

don't forget to prepare for some deeper fishing just in case... in one particular spring-fed lake in the park, my buddies and i had to use 2oz weights to get our panther martins to the right depth for the specks. once we did, it was some good action.

Splake are delicious and put for the purpose of taking. Try Ryan Lake for some good fun.

Cheers!