Time Savers.

Moosebunk

And keep rod holders set up in your boat so you don't have to reel in when your friends get a fish... I've got a bunch of doubles and some triple headers because of this...

Mike you have some good tips here and your previous post.....but let me add...

I no longer pick up partners unless it really makes sense.....my boat, my truck, my time = meet me at my house...

I have 4 rod holders I made out of PVC pipes that are strategically place in my boat and are mounted 100% VERTICAL....when a fish is boated that rod goes in the vertical rod holder to prevent rod breakage AND give you 2 hands to handle the fish on the floor of the boat. You can't step on a rod while there in these holders... ;)

If ur going for a couple days (camping) I find it very helpful to have pre-cooked meals ready to go frozen in the freezer, especially helpful when hunting, just need to warm them up and ur ready, I like to eat well while camping and some meals take a long time to prepare and cook, which if u come in late and get up early I'm not in a real mood spend slot of time cooking, a wood stove or the Coleman ovens they have now are great,

Edited by walleyejigger

Mike you have some good tips here and your previous post.....but let me add...

I no longer pick up partners unless it really makes sense.....my boat, my truck, my time = meet me at my house...

I have 4 rod holders I made out of PVC pipes that are strategically place in my boat and are mounted 100% VERTICAL....when a fish is boated that rod goes in the vertical rod holder to prevent rod breakage AND give you 2 hands to handle the fish on the floor of the boat. You can't step on a rod while there in these holders... ;)

My girlfriend works at home and needs the driveway space... Otherwise yes... The least they could do is meet you at your house...

All some solid ideas... even the dynamite. lol. Much of it, we all do I bet... in our own ways. Preparing the night before is always key, and hooking up the boat with everything gas'd up and charged, for sure.

Used to have these long runs between spots when living up north. Sometimes in the colder months, I'd cook/heat pre-made meals that had been frozen in aluminum take-out containers... (ya know, the ones with the lids) If not cooking on the run, food could be cooking while jiggin' up eyes at a spot. A hot meal goes a long way when ice fishing for a day too. At home sometimes when bored, I'll just make it a day of cooking and get the beef stew into the slow cooker first, then whip up a big pot of chili then do a huge soup pot full of chowder, then finally a chicken stew. In a few hours, can usually get 24-30 big bowl fulls worth of hearty home-cooked meals done.

Here's whats waiting for the next trip, and smooth fall Quinte days.

Summer11-028.jpg

In a 72 liter cooler, you can place the bowls 3 across and 6 deep giving you 18 meals if going on a fishing/camping trip. Because they are all frozen, I've had them stay that way for up to 7-8 days in August. Packing in the cooler, it's best to go 2 deep (6 bowls) then lay a tight-fitted piece of cardboard wrapped with a towel, then do 6 more(2 more deep) with another towel and cardboard, then have 6 on top. Layered and protected, the lower dishes stay frozen when the cooler is opened only to retrieve a meal. Bungee cord across the top of the cooler too, handle to handle, just in case it opens a crack.

Just one way to maximize fishing time and get a solid tasty meal without having to take extra time out to prep food.

Other quick food ideas... precook spuds and freeze (they make great blocks of ice) for shorelunch type meals. Chop chicken, onions and peppers ahead of time, freeze the chicken until needing it, and this way the only thing for fajitas is the kit, and to just add everything into an oiled pan. Two ways of speeding up meal time with less mess.

Ohhhh, and saved to computer, a master food plan with meal ideas and for shopping helps quicken trip prep time.

Edited by Moosebunk

Tie your rigs in at your desk while on conference calls. Put the phone on speaker/mute and tie up a bunch of leaders, lindy leaders, spinners or slow death of various lengths, colours with some different twists. Having all the options ready makes experimenting quicker, easier, thus more likely to occur.

This is a good time to sharpen hooks, on everything in your box. Every lure should have hooks on, and sharp and ready to go.

The game plan is key, set up a few spots and then adapt.

For a net I use one of the thicker rubber ones for fun fishing, which tangles less, though does have a spatula type effect since its shallow.

When in the boat, have your release tools at hand and camera at hand.

As fishermen the best activity to save time on or become more efficent at, is the landing, handling and release of fish. This is something I see that can be done much better. There is a lot of literature on the best practices for C&R.

...also not every fish needs to be photographed, weighed or measured, but that is another can of worms.

have 27 rods ready to go -no tying or rerigging, always happens at the worst time anyway

like lew, never unpack yer boat, back up and go

if you want to go fishing you meet at my house!

pick yer spots and leave early, and fish weekdays if ya can!

Wow I didn`t realize fishing could be so organized your like a bunch of Felix Unger`s, if I sleep in and miss the morning bite who cares I`ll try again tomorrow,if I have one beer too many in the afternoon and miss the evening bite who cares I`ll try again the next day.

I don`t over think it!!! :Gonefishing:

Wow I didn`t realize fishing could be so organized your like a bunch of Felix Unger`s, if I sleep in and miss the morning bite who cares I`ll try again tomorrow,if I have one beer too many in the afternoon and miss the evening bite who cares I`ll try again the next day.

I don`t over think it!!! :Gonefishing:

Friend........no offense.......but your not fishing......you're cutting bait in my experiences....... :whistling:......however, if you're enjoying yourself then that's all that matters... :clapping:

Obviuosly your not a Real Fisherman :blink::blink::blink:

I take time to commune with nature. Watch the trees blow, the birds flying... Putter about from spot to spot, and leave areas slowly incase theres a potential honey hole on the way elsewhere. It may seem like im actually wasting my time but have found lots of unmarked spots and unmarked fish this way! Coffee ready for the morning and a siesta midday keeps me in a fresh form for the later bite. Pre-trip, i keep a close eye ont the weather for the area im fishing. Prevailing winds especially.Some great tips guys!

Edited by Jigger

I don't have much to add to this, but maybe this, almost seems like a no-brainer:

When shore-fishing where there's a lot of room, I clamp my locking forceps onto the neck of my shirt so I always know where they are. This really saves valuable time when I walk up and down the river bank, and especially handy if I get a pike on.

I don't have a holster or anything like that, and clamping on my shirt works a treat.