Craigslist reply

shadowfly

Hey guys i posted my re-curve bow on sale on Craigslist. and this interested buyer seemed very interested

first email

Hello seller, do you still have the item for sale if yes kindly let me know when i can come check it out and include the description to your place and when you will be avilable to come check it out thanks.

at this point didn't know it was a scam so i gave him the cell number to call and make an appointment to see it.

the reply email.

Thanks for writing back...but I'm sorry I won't be able to come see it anymore,Am embarking on a 2 month urgent business trip to alberta tomorrow morning,I was gonna be coming to your town that got changed but I still want it anyway, If you could sell it to me when I get to alberta, I will mail you a bank official check in excess to cover the cost of the shipping to where it will be needed and will also offer you $40 more so you know am serious in getting the item from you.Note : My shipper/mover would handle the pick up and delivery so it doesn't stress you after you've cashed the payment deduct and send the remaining funds to the movers accountant. I really need this, Its quite important and urgent. I will be more than glad

if it can be sold to me and take it off craiglist. Email me back with a name, address and your phone number as it should be written on the check,

Hope to read back from you soon.

Thank

has this happened to any of you guys trying to sell stuff with Kijiji or Craigslist.? is there a way to report them?

I have bought and sold a few things on kijiji and shipped through the mail and have had no problems. This does sound a bit shady, but it may be legit. I would personally talk to him or email and make sure that the payment sent is a canadian money order, and the bow will be sent via tracked canadian mail. Make sure you receive the money and it clears before you send the bow.

What kind of bow is it btw? Right handed take down recurve 50-55#? lol

Write him back and ask him if he minds that the item is in a size 16.

edited to add: Redskullz, you wouldn't happen to have a really nice boat for sale would you? I have to be away on a business trip but I'm sure we can work something out.

Write him back and ask him if he minds that the item is in a size 16.

edited to add: Redskullz, you wouldn't happen to have a really nice boat for sale would you? I have to be away on a business trip but I'm sure we can work something out.

LOL...yeah after reading it again more closely, yeah sounds like a farce. I do have a 15' flatback canoe with a yamaha 2hp i can sell you...say $14,500? Can you send payment via western union? I can ship the boat via canada post lettermail.

Hey guys i posted my re-curve bow on sale on Craigslist. and this interested buyer seemed very interested

first email

Hello seller, do you still have the item for sale if yes kindly let me know when i can come check it out and include the description to your place and when you will be avilable to come check it out thanks.

at this point didn't know it was a scam so i gave him the cell number to call and make an appointment to see it.

the reply email.

Thanks for writing back...but I'm sorry I won't be able to come see it anymore,Am embarking on a 2 month urgent business trip to alberta tomorrow morning,I was gonna be coming to your town that got changed but I still want it anyway, If you could sell it to me when I get to alberta, I will mail you a bank official check in excess to cover the cost of the shipping to where it will be needed and will also offer you $40 more so you know am serious in getting the item from you.Note : My shipper/mover would handle the pick up and delivery so it doesn't stress you after you've cashed the payment deduct and send the remaining funds to the movers accountant. I really need this, Its quite important and urgent. I will be more than glad

if it can be sold to me and take it off craiglist. Email me back with a name, address and your phone number as it should be written on the check,

Hope to read back from you soon.

Thank

has this happened to any of you guys trying to sell stuff with Kijiji or Craigslist.? is there a way to report them?

I had it happen when selling a used car on Autotrader. The guy wanted the car really bad, but unfortunately being an Oceanographer, was currently out at sea for 2 months. But not too worry...he had an agent ready to buy the car, sight unseen. (It was strange however to see an email from someone who I would expect to be highly educated...filled with so many spelling errors...guess they didn't know how to use spell check... :wallbash: )

If I understand correctly the scheme works this way:

1)The "agent" comes to buy the vehicle, but has a money order (or some other form of cheque that looks real) for more than the asking price.

2)Asks you to cash it, which the bank will do in most cases, as the money order is often legit.

3)They take car and the "extra" cash. Bank contacts you later to advise the account the order was drawn on is either in overdraft/closed/or the order was reported stolen. Of course..guess who is on the hook.

They can do the same thing with Paypal. The Variation there -> they use a Credit Card to make the payment via Paypal. Once everything has transferred, the purchaser calls the credit card company, and advises their card has been stolen. Credit Card company won't transfer to Paypal. You end up having to register a dispute, which can take years to clear.

As far as reporting it...have not found any place. Best is what you have already done...word of mouth, so that sellers can be aware.

I had it happen when selling a used car on Autotrader. The guy wanted the car really bad, but unfortunately being an Oceanographer, was currently out at sea for 2 months. But not too worry...he had an agent ready to buy the car, sight unseen. (It was strange however to see an email from someone who I would expect to be highly educated...filled with so many spelling errors...guess they didn't know how to use spell check... :wallbash: )

If I understand correctly the scheme works this way:

1)The "agent" comes to buy the vehicle, but has a money order (or some other form of cheque that looks real) for more than the asking price.

2)Asks you to cash it, which the bank will do in most cases, as the money order is often legit.

3)They take car and the "extra" cash. Bank contacts you later to advise the account the order was drawn on is either in overdraft/closed/or the order was reported stolen. Of course..guess who is on the hook.

They can do the same thing with Paypal. The Variation there -> they use a Credit Card to make the payment via Paypal. Once everything has transferred, the purchaser calls the credit card company, and advises their card has been stolen. Credit Card company won't transfer to Paypal. You end up having to register a dispute, which can take years to clear.

As far as reporting it...have not found any place. Best is what you have already done...word of mouth, so that sellers can be aware.

Well then why not notify the person you'll accept the offer then call the cops explain the situation and set up a sting?