Need advice on what to look for when buying a used boat

Capt.Canuck

First time posting, so be gentle.

I've fished all my life on lakes within an hour or so of Ottawa, and up until recently have been quite happy with my 12' deep V aluminum boat with 9.9. I decided recently that I should get something larger, so that my son (age 6) my father (70s) and I can all fish out of the same boat in reasonable comfort - and then still be comfortable to tour around the lake adding in my wife and my mother (5 people total) or other guests that may visit.

I'm looking at models like the Crestliner Fish Hawk and Alumacraft Classic series. In terms of size, anywhere from 16-19 ft.

I confess I've had a bit of sticker shock (my most recent boat and motor purchased from a family friend for a princely $800) but I'm coming around to spending $15-$20K on the purchase.

-

I've looked around a bit online and it seems like my dollars would go a lot farther if I bought used (2005-2010) than if I bought new. But knowing very little about boats and motors, I'm understandably cautious about buying a boat with expensive hidden problems.

I'm looking for advice on what process I should follow in buying a used boat, and tips on things I should look for and do to ensure I have a positive outcome.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Welcome to the board CC. Ottawa...my home townclapping.gif I can prolly tell you where you been fishinwhistling.gif

Lots of deals out there, just remember, the person selling the boat, should let you take it out on the water for a test run just like a car.Have the motor verified, and make sure size wise, it is max or close to max hp for the boat.Alot of new boat dealers have great deals on used, or last years new models.

Good luck

edited to say

Check the classifieds in here. some sweet machines for sale by members

Edited by mercman

Welcome to the board CC. Ottawa...my home townclapping.gif I can prolly tell you where you been fishinwhistling.gif

Lots of deals out there, just remember, the person selling the boat, should let you take it out on the water for a test run just like a car.Have the motor verified, and make sure size wise, it is max or close to max hp for the boat.Alot of new boat dealers have great deals on used, or last years new models.

Good info, thanks everyone.

When you say "have the motor verified", what do you mean? Take it to a marina that sells that brand of motor and have them do the car equivalent of a "safety"?

On a related note, when someone says they have X number of hours on a motor, what would be considered a high mileage motor? In other words, are there any guidelines as to purchasing used motors, i.e. "I wouldn't touch a motor with more that XY hours on it."?

If you're not mechanically inclined arrange to take the boat into a marina/dealer etc. and have them do a complete inspection hull/systems/motor. You wnat to know stuff like 1/are there any soft spots in the floor or transom 2/does the motor have good compression etc.

Also take it for a test drive.

It's a big purchase just like a car and you wouldn't hand over $20K and hope for the best would you. :whistling:

If you're not mechanically inclined arrange to take the boat into a marina/dealer etc. and have them do a complete inspection hull/systems/motor. You wnat to know stuff like 1/are there any soft spots in the floor or transom 2/does the motor have good compression etc.

Also take it for a test drive.

It's a big purchase just like a car and you wouldn't hand over $20K and hope for the best would you. :whistling:

Nope, agreed.

Can anyone recommend some good reliable marinas in the Ottawa area that would be willing to do the complete inspection on a 3rd party sale? What does such an inspection cost generally?

Make sure you check the compression, if they are all the same ,you should be good, and you can just put ear muffs on the engine to run,, i am sure a water test would be nice ,but i know i wouldnt take someone out for one ,specially if i see them with rods and coolers in hand..

Nope, agreed.

Can anyone recommend some good reliable marinas in the Ottawa area that would be willing to do the complete inspection on a 3rd party sale? What does such an inspection cost generally?

I cant think of the name of the one my Brother uses, other than its in the far S.E. part of ottawa On Bank st, right on the Rideau river.

This inspection wont be free so you will have to make a deal with the seller. The seller may have bills indicateing past service. Ask to see them.

Or you could buy a used package from a local Marina.Then you can be sure that its been at least inspected and serviced properly.

PS

An outboard is not like a car. Oil and filter chages, lower unit oil changes and spark plug replacement on a regular basis, it will last 10 times longer than a car motor.

Edited by mercman

Take it to a certified marine mech. BEFORE you buy it. The $200 (Max it should cost) is worth it when spending that much.

Mech should:

1) Check compression on all cylinders

2) Perform a leak-down test

3) Check for spark on all cylinders

If all goes well, take it out for a test drive. Vary RPM's, check ALL on-board systems, livewell, pumps, switches, bow and stern lights. If you are buying an aluminum, ensure the bilge is dry before you go out, then see how much water it takes on while you are out. Ideally it should be dry - if it is not, loose rivets or a crack (if a welded hull), pain to fix and will get worse over time. Not easy to re-set rivets in a closed floor boat.

For eventhing that doesn't work - take money off the price - ot will cost you to get it fixed.

Don't be in a hurry to buy, but be ready to buy when the right boats comes along.

Check the trailer tires and bearings - deduct money for things that will need fixing. Checks the lights.

NEVER buy a boat you can't take on the water. RUNNING A BOAT ON MUFFS IN THE DRIVEWAY IS NOT THE SAME THING.

take the boat into a marina/dealer etc. and have them do a complete inspection hull/systems/motor.

Good idea, at least in theory, most places right now have a one or even two week wait to get a motor looked at. If you've hooked onto a deal it will be sold to the next buyer by then.

I was about to offer my 2 cents... :blink:

Congrats, Lunds are great boats. I assume its got a Merc on it? Did you get a Optimax? Verado? Regular 4-Stroke?

Thanks, I looked at a number of boats but the configuration of this one really seems perfect for my intended usage.

It's a Merc 125hp Optimax. Way more power than I feel I need at this stage, but it sure goes nice out on the water.

Let's see it!

Ha...well that's where it gets interesting. I don't have a vehicle that can tow the boat so I just went and bought my wife a new Acura MDX this evening so I can tow it. Pick that up Tuesday morning, get the hitch installed that day hopefully, then off to the marina (out of town) on Wednesday or Thursday next week to pick it up.

The only real modification/swap I made was I got a Lund Pro Seat for the drivers seat as I found the standard seat was too flexy for my liking.

Edited by Capt.Canuck