Computer Protection Suites NF

musky_man

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am looking for a new suite to keep the computer protected. I have been using Norton for the last several years but I find their renewal process such an annoying grind that I refuse to use them any more. So -- anyone got any suggestions. According to Consumer Reports, Bit Defender is supposed to be pretty good.

Feedback welcome -- thanks ahead of time.

Mark

I to have been using nortons for virus protection and am not happy.It includes spy and adware that does absolutely nothing.I also use PCtools spyware doctor for spy and ad ware which picks up everything and is very good.As a suite they have antivirus as well but as yet I have not used it but I am going to switch this year.The renewal is so easy I usually wonder if I actually did it. Virus protection is not the main concern it use to be it is the spyware that is a major headache now.

vance

I have used AVG antivirus for the past 3 years and no issues with it. It also happens to be free. Avg also has an antispyware that seems to work but after a month or so you need to update it manually. I operate behind a router and use Windows Defender-(also free..hmmm,maybe I am a cheap dude) I bought System Mechanic to do the clean ups and so far no complaints with it at all. It also has a system guard that does not seem to interfere with anything like Norton used to do to me. I HATED NORTON-slowed me down,always popping something or another up..And its a PITA to get rid of it after you dont want it anymore.

For those non-computer savvy, go to http://free.grisoft.com and download the free AVG antivirus, and the free antispyware product called ewido.

These 2, combined with the popup blocker in the Google toolbar, along with IE's popup blocker should keep you relatively safe. If you have high speed internet, you should buy a router for the built in firewall. They are about $30 for one at any of the big box stores. I prefer Dlink or Linksys, although they all work pretty much the same these days.

cd.

I used the big M it worked ok I would never use Nortons. Right now I do have Bit defender and it is great!! really fast, does not hold up my system and has the full package including Antispyware.

Bit defender the best thing you will ever do for your PC.

I have Norton, only because it came with my Rogers Internet package. Anyway I can remove or disable? I remember in the past, it was a memory hog, and very difficult to remove.