Lily pad growth this year

Cudz

I have fished several lakes this summer that I had fished in the recent past and have really noticed that the pads are a whole lot less dense and much more sparse in general. Being a gunk fisherman whenever I get the opportunity, this is a bit off-putting. I hae noticed this mostly on muskoka area lakes.

Anyone else notice this?

I have fished several lakes this summer that I had fished in the recent past and have really noticed that the pads are a whole lot less dense and much more sparse in general. Being a gunk fisherman whenever I get the opportunity, this is a bit off-putting. I hae noticed this mostly on muskoka area lakes.

Anyone else notice this?

Recently fished a few lakes up in the Parry Sound area and only one had any pad action on it. And they were nestled deep in a little creek off of the main lake in two feet of water.

Perhaps it has to do with the late onset of heat?

Yeah a few spots on LPB that are usually all pads are open water this year and even a couple of smaller lakes that I fish have less weed growth than normal and the pads don't come out as far from shore this year. I hadn't really thought to much about it till I read your post, I have some weed puffs on longpoint marked from last year and I pull up to the waypoint and can't find them :dunno: and they are big weed beds like 30-50' in diameter I have fished them for years without GPS just know the area there in it was prolly the weird spring we had

It's the same here in the Kawarthas. Seems to be a cyclical thing, when I first moved here 15 years ago, there were thick beds of pads everywhere. A few years later, they started to die off, you could see floating roots all over the place. After that the pads had a comeback, but short lived. Last year we saw lots of floating roots once again and the pads are far and few between.

I imagine in a few years they'll be back.