Big bait

mike rousseau

Hey

I'm looking to stock up on big live bait for fall musky...

I'm looking for pretty much any minnow 8-12 inches... preferably creek chubs or suckers...

I live between Montreal and Ottawa...

And I'm looking for a store that can get me at least... 36 minnows... I would take more if they can get it...

Hey

I'm looking for pretty much any minnow 8-12 inches... preferably creek chubs or suckers...

And I'm looking for a store that can get me at least... 36 minnows... I would take more if they can get it...

Can't help you on where to buy, but curious -- how do you keep them from swallowing the bait? I use big minnows for pike fishing in the spring and as hard as we try still have mortality. Difference is we can eat the pike.

Hey

Man when I lived in Sudbury, where I grew up I could get those in a night or two in my minnow traps for free! I have to think that you could do the same in your area? Trapping minnows was a great bonding experience for me and my Dad - something I really should do with my own kids.

Cheers - and good luck finding your bait!

Ryan

Can't help you on where to buy, but curious -- how do you keep them from swallowing the bait? I use big minnows for pike fishing in the spring and as hard as we try still have mortality. Difference is we can eat the pike.

I've never gut hooked a musky... Never... I use a large single big gun catfish hook... You do miss enough fish but they will hit several times before getting spooked...

I know this guy used to have them in the fall. (Fran-Val in St-Zotique) This was a couple years ago though. It's a bit closer than Dorion for you also. I'd give him a ring first to make sure.

http://www.canpages....l#mapdirections

Also this guy in Cornwall always has minnows year round. Not sure about anything that big though.

http://www.yellowperchcompany.com/

Edited by Jigs

Why not just go angle them. Little bit of cheese on a hook in the creeks right in town here get us plenty for the fall. Keep them in an aerated bucket. Go catch them mid september.

Agreed..This is a great way to catch big chub in a hurry and its quite fun to be honest. We used to go down to the crick in one of the deeper runs and catch up a doz in no time with a small hook and piece of worm...