trailer wiring

ld17

Hi guys my male plug on the trailer is damaged. I need to replace it. I went to canadian tire to buy a new plug. Got home and I was going to cut the old plug off and solder the new one on. Only thing is the new plug has 4 wires and the old has 5. Is there a way to wire this or should I go back to the store and see if they have a 5 wire plug? Thanks and any help.

Hi guys my male plug on the trailer is damaged. I need to replace it. I went to canadian tire to buy a new plug. Got home and I was going to cut the old plug off and solder the new one on. Only thing is the new plug has 4 wires and the old has 5. Is there a way to wire this or should I go back to the store and see if they have a 5 wire plug? Thanks and any help.

Male and female spade connectors will get you out of a jam, or wire it directly. Most packages come with both plugs anyway.

Question for you, your 5th wire, is brown or black? If so dont fret, the 4 wire plug you purchased, just add an extra wire to it. Most likely its the running lights wire. One for the left side and the other for the right side. I just recalled telling another member to pick up the split harness before I rewired his trailer a little while back.

the fairly rare 5pin connector is usually used to provide a reverse lockout to the trailer brakes - if i try to back up without plugging in my 5 wire the trailer brakes lock up.

i changed over my 5 pin to a 7 pin to eliminate the expensive, bulky 5 pin to 7 pin adapter. if your trailer has electric brakes or surge brakes with a breakaway kit you'll need to wire the reverse lockout.

if not, as mentioned just connect the 'double brown wire set" to the brown of the flat four replcement.

if you do need to wire in the brakes id suggest you forego the 5 pin and go straight to a 7 pin. then your trailer can be pulled by other vehicles with a more common 7 pin.

pm me if you have any questions....