lake ontario wind speed

workwear

was wondering if someone could give some advice about wind speeds on lake ontario.....was thinking of trying my hand at some fishing the big lady....i have a pro v 1900....ive checked the wind forecast and they are calling for 4-8 km/h winds for this weekend....when isnt it safe to be out there...

thanks

well it depends in wind direction,and some other factors but in a nice big lund like you have you wont have too much problems,it also depends on experience and when you reach your comfort level...there is a website pretty good at showing current winds its called windguru.com and it also depends on where you are fishing out of ,example if you are fishing out of the north shore of lake o, well a south east is brutal,so can be a southwest wind,but a north wind can shelter you pretty good out a few miles or so...as you can see theres lots to know and fishing the big pond you must respect her big time...thers an old saying and its if you dont know dont go !!! and yes i have been on lake ontario for well over 25yrs,and ran a charter boat,as well so its always good to have someone who has experience on big water with you for a few times till you get used to how she is,theres also different types of waves,and you can even get cross-chop,waves comming from 2 different directions...so its not as simple as justguessing a wind speed which is safe....pay attention to marine warnings and if there is any,like a small craft warning dont go !!! as well a marine radio will help as its a continuous marine updated forecast ....hope this helps...and remember always safety first...do not second guess yourself....the day you do not respect her is the day you will die!!!! remember that ...cheers

I fish it in 25 to 30 its a little harry, on nice days not to bad you need to pay attention to the sky and the link that im sending you has information that will update constanly if you get in trouble VHF 16 or *16 on a cell will get you the coast gaurd. Play safe its all good to what you are comfortable with

http://towarf.com/

Cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Peter

This is my go to site for wind forecasting.

http://www.sailflow....wHomeSiteID=772

I set Ontario West Bouy as my home page. Check the 7 day forecast/history tabs for indicators.

As of current forecasts (subject to change of course), Saturday is looking good so far. Sunday is looking a little choppy but I am taking the outlaws out so for sure we will go fishing on Sunday as well.

If there is sustained easterlies for more than 18-24 hours, I stay home.

If you're referencing 'the weather network', you might as well cross your fingers, click you're heels 3 times and say..................

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer

was wondering if someone could give some advice about wind speeds on lake ontario.....was thinking of trying my hand at some fishing the big lady....i have a pro v 1900....ive checked the wind forecast and they are calling for 4-8 km/h winds for this weekend....when isnt it safe to be out there...

thanks

depending on where you launch wind can have a good or bad effect ie from pickering wind from the north and west is fishable even in 20 -25km winds because theose two points are coverd by land but wind from east or south even at 10-15 km can get abit rough out there your pro v can take the waves . ive been out in a 16ft with a 50merc in 6ft east rollers just find the direction of the wind and where you are then youll be fine