Interesting night

Nipfisher

Got a late start tonight with family obligations; but at 5:45 we were heading out of the driveway with the boat loaded. We got to the Nosbonsing launch near Astorville at 6:15. There was a big Lund getting ready to land. As we readied the boat we wondered what was taking so long so, we went to see. The driver of the truck had backed off the side of the ramp and into a deep hole. He now had the boat on (I said it was a big HEAVY Lund) and could not pull it up out of the hole. He tried pulling and backing up. It would not move. We tried pushing the boat off the trailer but is was up out of the water too far. As he hammered it in reverse to back it up, to launch the boat again the trailer collapsed like and aluminum can. Never seen anything like it. We eventually got the boat off the now wrecked trailer and he drove the boat home? He lived on the lake. While his buddy pulled his messed up trailer out.

We launched my boat at 6:45 and for some reason could not start my Yam 90hp? My 2 year old was playing around in the boat this afternoon and must have done something. It had lots of juice but would not turn over. WE waited, in case it was flooded and still no go.

So we took off with the Wireles 55 trolling motor. Just a little ways down the lake we found a nice drop off close to some weeds. Action was good for the next 2 hours. It poured rain, drizzeled and was o.k. at times. We were prepared for the rain so no biggy. I was first up and put a perch and 2 sunfish in the boat before Rod Caster knew what was happening. Then he showed me up with a hammer-handle pike. Then I got a 14.5" large mouth. After that, he put on a walleye clinic with a cat fish and a rock bass mixed in for fun.

In 2 hours, in the rain, with only a trolling motor, we landed about 10 fish with some lost ones too. When we landed the boat at dark we were sure to avoid the black hole. A quick beer at my place after parking the boat and we called it a night.

R.C. took some pictures of the trailer and my bass maybe he will post them.

***** I checked over the motor today after charging the battery. My boat does not have electronic choke (not hooked up) so I rely on the manual choke. Well, the lever was disconected from the cable inside so the motor was never choked. wallbash.gif It started on the second tun of the key today. **********

Edited by Nipfisher

Definitly an interesting start at the launch. I can't believe that 1) that huge dodge couldn't pull the boat past the hole and 2) that the trailer collapsed right in front of us! I'm sure you'll get your motor up and running in no time. 2 year olds... The ultimate excuse haha. I'll post the pics from work tomorrow. Thanks again for taking me out! You are welcome in my leaky sportspal anytime!! Hehe. <BR><BR>Edit for photos.<BR><BR>Blair with his big angry bass<BR><BR>IMG00068-20110810-1932.jpg<BR><BR>IMG00066-20110810-1823.jpg<BR><BR>IMG00067-20110810-1823.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

I was thinking of yous as I was driving down Nosbonsing Park Rd last night, glad to hear you managed to make it succesfull.

In regards to the launch. The problem is one of the cement slabs has been moved and has left a large hole. As long as you stay nice and tight to the dock, you can avoid it.

A trailer tongue is not designed to have any strength in reverse.... they know that now!

Good night out lads, despite the engine/battery issues. Did the 2 year old pull your kill switch tether?? .. or turn the master on?

I was thinking kill switch as well but my motor will turn over with it off, just will not start. Master switch maybe? :dunno:

Sucks about that guys trailer. Years ago Izumi did a tip of the week on checking the ramp before you launch. The purpose was so you didn't drive off the end or to check for other objects that might be a problem. Haven't done it in years myself but might have to start again.

Good evening of fishing despite everything else. Thanks for the report.

Edited by fishnsled

look at the trailer construction, light wall 2 x 4 at best, bolted, not welded together with some light gauge plate to hold it in place. that construction style doesn't really match the boat. it might be long enough but that doesn't make it the right trailer. probably fine in all but the worst conditions, but they always seem to come up!

an uneven boat ramp can be a nightmare - one with a hole is the worst!

glad to hear you solved your problem. :clapping:

i can relate to a problem launch....last year on rice a buddy of mine backed up the trailer and one side missed the concrete slab.....no boat on the trailer yet and we couldnt budge the trailer an inch....we had to get into the water and lift the one side back onto the ramp....that wasnt fun!!!....