planer boards... church vs. offshore

mike rousseau

picked up my church tackle planer board pro pack with flag upgrades today...

very

very

impressed with these boards... they make the offshore one look like :asshat:

i havent put em in the water yet... but the line clips and flag system is far better than offshore... and the church tackle boards are cheeper by 5 bucks per pro pack... and mine were on sale for $75... offshore boards pro pack is $105...(cabelas)

and the church tackle line clips can hold light braid... and have a system that locks your line in the board...

offshore line clips cant hold light braid... and if the board pops off... there is nothing holding it on the line... wich means you have to clear your lines and drive back and get them...

Offshore can handle any line of any size if you use this

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR18.html

HH

and those add 15 dollars per board...

if they came standard then offshore would be better... or they could include them with tapple flags or something...

so to make that upgrade you suggest... $105 for pro pack + 30 for extra clips to make em comparable to church... 135 dollars...

or church board pro pack for 99 and they have an adjustable balist and a system to hold the board on your line if the clips release

Actually, I wasn't suggesting anything, but I did want to point out that there was an error in your original post.

We have had this diucussion many times on the board, some like Offshore, some like Church...

I have been using Offshore for almost 20 years. I got nothing but good to say about them.... and yes, I have a Church as well, but my personal preference is the Offshore... use what you like! :Gonefishing:

HH

Was just looking at the TX super planer boards at JB's. These are designed to haul a load up to 1 lbs for lead core and divers. I've noticed my offshores perfrom best when trolling a slower speeds and lighter lures. Might be giving these a try in the fall as I want to pick up a second set

i have 4 sets of boards 3 offshores and one set of church boards and each perform great,i dont have a preference other than yes the church set is a bit cheaper for sure,but i think for big rough water the offshores have an advantage they seem to handle it better,and i use them in the fall on quinte,and on lake ontario for salmon....many years of pulling both around and they are awesome !!!!

Been using Church on Lake O for a year - they work great. I was also just watching the Dan Keating Video on Kings (he uses church boards by the way) and he has a slick trick with a #6 elastic . Does 3 half hitchees in the line, then double loops the end and puts this in the rear peg. When the board releases it stays where it is rather than travelling all the way to the swivel. The rubber band is small enough it wont interfere with reeling in the line ( or you can snap it off with a quick tugif your worried). For heavier spoons / rougher weather he also uses one around the clip. I was thinking of maybe expanding on this idea and using it as a method to secure lead core to the board without pinching the core if I want to put out a length different than the sectioned amount. I plan on trying this next time out to see how it works.

i have 4 sets of boards 3 offshores and one set of church boards and each perform great,i dont have a preference other than yes the church set is a bit cheaper for sure,but i think for big rough water the offshores have an advantage they seem to handle it better,and i use them in the fall on quinte,and on lake ontario for salmon....many years of pulling both around and they are awesome !!!!

For the Great Lakes I like my homemade planer boards.....

PlanerBoards001.jpg

PlanerBoards002.jpg

PlanerBoards006.jpg