Walleye Fishing Tuesday With An Old Time Original Rapala

rufus

I went Walleye fishing for a bit on Tuesday and reached deep into my tackle box for an old-timey lure - an original Rapala. It was hot and hazy from forest fire smoke and the fishing was slower than a week ago but I did catch a few. I tried out Simon's "stomach cam" view but think I will leave that for him in the future :)

<center><iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cdxDbCfN2yU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

</center>

Edited by NWO Fishing

How many ounces is that egg sinker? Looks like you are dropping it straight down then trolling with your electric? Does that big sinker ever get caught up in the structure?

I am using a 3 oz sinker. It is actually a modified bottom bouncer weight which slides up and down the line. I like 3 oz because I am usually fishing between 25 and 50 feet or if I am shallower there is current and that needs some weight too. The original Rapala is a floater so that keeps it from getting hung up when trolling.

Thanks everyone! There was actually two different lures used in the video. The lure used in the "stomach cam" shot had the modern finish on it and it is possible that lure was a HJ although it was just used for that one fish. The main lure used had the original bland finish on it and was definitely the original floater - I know because it was still in the original box :)

What didn't make it into the video were several sauger, a couple of pike, smallmouth bass, and even a perch and a rock bass smaller than the lure. They all liked the lure. I remember using a floating original Rapala back when that was the only Rapala lure they made back when I was a kid. Then there was a span of decades until I tried it again....