Rare sight

taper

I was on my way to work yesterday and for the first time in my life I got to see a wild Bald Eagle soaring above. Had to stop and watch for a minute. What a beautiful bird. I know there has been a nesting pair in the area the last three or four years but this is the first time I managed to see one of them. I think I may take my son to their nesting area with the binoculars and see if we can see them this weekend.

First time I saw one was with my wife and kids on a trip to Newfoundland. Great sight amazing bird...Missed pics though I was driving.

It was a great thing for my kids to see, as I am sure yours will enjoy. We have a nesting pair of Osprey near our trailer and that was amazing, they had babies ( if that's the proper word ) last year, that was truly an amazing view the nest is about 6 feet round at the top of a power pole.

In our area of the South Bay of Lake Nipissing for the past 10 years there has been a nesting pair of bald eagles. Huge bird! There has been several nests of osprey as well and are a very common sight. Amazing to watch catching fish. Last summer watched a heron and an osprey duke it out over a freshly skinned out pickerel. The heron won the battle which did surprise me. Both have become aware of my fishing trips over the years and look for the remains to arrive.

I still don't get why they call them bald... I could see buzzards being called bald but not eagles.... away..

Watched a really good show not National Geo channel a week or so back about Raptors (eagles, owls etc) they show how the birds fly, locate prey etc... it was fascinating.. They are even trying to model planes after how the birds feathers are designed to cut the wind create stability etc... most learning show are neat, but this one was exceptional.

Glad you had the opportunity to see them taper, I myself see them every weekend usually, but that is because of where I live. Even saw an Osprey last weekend, although there was still 24 inches of ice up here, and they are fish hunters. Hope it survives the next couple of weeks of no fishing.

The bald eagles have nothing to worry about though. They are scavengers, and will eat anything, anytime, along with their fish hunting prowess.

I remember about 10 yrs. ago(or more), on a lake we went to, got to our location, and after a while, looked back up the lake, what is that black spot??????????????

After 3 hrs. I decided to pull my lines and check it out, flew up that direction, and a big bird takes off.

Got there, and.............there is a bunny, spread eagle, not much left of him. I looked around, and could see his path in the snow, straight as an arrow, until the quick hook to the right ending in his demise, :lol:

Bad career choice.

Why that bunny was way the heck out in the middle of the lake is another story. But, it didn't work out for him(her).

p.s. didn't catch much that day, lol.

I stayed at a resort in Uclulet, on Vancouver island. One night while sitting out on the deck a bald eagle soared just meters about my head and landed in a nest we had thought was abandoned. I have some really cool pictures of the mother eagle and the small ones learning to fly. Ill see if i can dig them up.

I had one 2 years ago land 20 feet from me while fishing on a river in Penna. and stand on the rocks watching the water for 20 min. till it lept in the air hit the water and took off with a 1lb carp, I just wish I had my camera. And last year on crotch lake one flew in the tree near us with what looked like a Rat in its talons I have the whole thing on an old 8mm video camera it was only 50 ft away.

Like TJSA mentioned, Bald Eagles are a dime a dozen up here. I've seen as many as 20 in a quarter mile stretch on a river during the fall Salmon run. But I never get tired of seeing them. They are an awesome bird.

Just got back fro B.C. and there as plentyful as seagulls out there. Awesome birds, had to see at least one eveyday I was there. And along highway 99, in the fields, there had to be about 40-50 of them.

I also saw one 2 weeks before going to B.C., it was on the way to Manitoulin Island.

As a kid we never seen the types of birds we see today. I realize that chemical bans have the most to do with it but are there other factors involved? Changes in climate allowing us to see more southern fowl? Why the explosion of population of cormorants for example. Never seen one before they started populating about 15 years ago. Were they this common before? Turkey vultures are as common as ravens here now. Many more examples of this as well.

grew up on the Margaree river in cape breton,try to sleep when they're squaking outside your bedroom window,

a dime a dozen down there,twenty years ago.....

saw one laying in the water flapping his wings headed for the sand bar....didnt want to let go of this monster atlantic salmon,pretty neat.........