Fishing Regs Delayed to 2008

FinS

MNR Press Release......New Fishing Regs Delayed to 2008

April 4, 2007

ONTARIO’S FISHING REGULATION CHANGES DELAYED

Anglers Should Continue to Use 2005-2006 Rules

TORONTO — The new Ontario Fishing Regulations will come into effect on January 1, 2008, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

“By implementing the new fishing regulations at the beginning of a new year we will be in keeping with tradition,” said Ramsay. “Most anglers are aware that this is typically when regulation changes are made so this timing allows for clarity and consistency.”

The regulation changes are part of the ministry’s new ecological framework for recreational fisheries management in Ontario. This includes managing fisheries on a zone basis rather than on an individual lake basis and replacing 37 fishing divisions with 20 fisheries management zones. To come into effect, these regulations must be approved by the federal government. The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans have been working closely to complete the approval process.

Anglers should continue to use the 2005-2006 regulations and current Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary throughout 2007, with the exception of the following changes that took effect January 1, 2007:

The walleye season is open year-round on all of Lake Erie. The catch and possession limit for walleye in the eastern basin of Lake Erie has increased to six fish from four.

On Lake Nipissing, the winter season for walleye and some other species has been extended by one week. This change, along with a longer fall season applies to the entire lake including the West Arm. There have also been some changes to walleye and pike catch limits in the West Arm to be consistent with the rest of Lake Nipissing.

On Golden Lake, the walleye fishery is re-opening after being closed for five years. There will be a 50 cm minimum size limit, and a catch and possession limit of two walleye (under a sport fishing licence) and one walleye (under a conservation fishing licence).

The province has extended the bass season across the province by moving the opening day from the last Saturday in June to the fourth Saturday in June.

The 2005-2006 regulations and current fishing summary are available at ServiceOntario/Government Information Centres outlets and from most licence issuers as well as on the ministry’s website at ontario.ca/mnr/. The updated fishing summary should be released later this year.

To fish, Ontario residents must have a valid Outdoors Card and fishing licence. Non-residents must have a valid fishing licence before they may fish in Ontario waters.

Man surprises the crap out of me ( cynical laugh intended ) Maybe with the October election it will be a party platform to have them out by 2008 if reelected!

Does this mean my 2006 fishing license will still be valid? I mean they put this out every year, it doesn't change that significantly, why can't they do it for this year. Our fees keep going up, yet the money given to our CO's is getting smaller. Where is all of our money going?

I suppose it's going to take something durastic to change our politician's viewpoints on where to spend our money. We all moan and groan, but to no avail. I suppose one of these days someone is going to go off the deep end and wake some of these people up.

cd.

Does this mean my 2006 fishing license will still be valid? I mean they put this out every year, it doesn't change that significantly, why can't they do it for this year. Our fees keep going up, yet the money given to our CO's is getting smaller. Where is all of our money going?

I suppose it's going to take something durastic to change our politician's viewpoints on where to spend our money. We all moan and groan, but to no avail. I suppose one of these days someone is going to go off the deep end and wake some of these people up.

cd.

Are you talking about the card or not? The card has an expiry date. If expiry says 06 ... then your card is no good. You need to get a new card.

Otherwise your ok. All you have to do is get a sticker for the 2007 season.

The fishing license is ONLY valid from Jan 1 to Dec 31 (inclusive).

What about if we don't have the regs from 2005-06? You can't get them anywhere anymore.

Most Tackle Shops still have lots of Regs ..maybe thats why the OFAH sent me a box od 05/06 Rehs last week they knew this was going to happen ..what a CROOK :rolleyes:

ONTARIO’S FISHING REGULATION CHANGES DELAYED

Anglers Should Continue to Use 2005-2006 Rules

TORONTO — The new Ontario Fishing Regulations will come into effect on January 1, 2008, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

Well, I have a word for minister Ramsey. It looks that after October 2007 his chances to implement this changes will be "DELAYED" for quite few years :angry:

Send your grievances to the Prime Minister's office in Ottawa. The province finished their end of it all long ago. The hold up is at the Federal level. But it is a better idea to wait till '08 at this point. Gives Harper and his crew time to actually read it.

beauty so the Ottawa river is open on the ONtario side until December 15th!

Finally...some one with the correct view of the delay! I'd prefer they get it right the first time...which is more likely the real cause for the delay...not the excuse being offered that the "norm" is bringing regs out on Jan 1st.

Send your grievances to the Prime Minister's office in Ottawa. The province finished their end of it all long ago. The hold up is at the Federal level. But it is a better idea to wait till '08 at this point. Gives Harper and his crew time to actually read it.

You can't put all of the blame on at the Federal level. The liberals knew, or ought of have known that they would need federal approval and should have taken this into consideration when setting up a time frame for the implentation.

Thanks for an advice :worthy: , I will. Hopefully I will have enough time tomorrow to call or send e-mail to my MP to ask what is the problem. At this time I'm not going to speculate who is to blame ( I do not know the facts), but my 7th sense :) is telling me that not everything is so obvious as in minister Ramsey's press release :dunno:

I understand the part about "where is our money going?" blah blah blah But seriously folks, is it going to affect your fishing season?

Affect fishing season ? no way :thumbsup_anim: But, if I may..... There are few changes in new regs that I like ( personal opinion ) and I would like to see them implemented ASAP to make fishing better now and in the future

One of the things in life we cannot loose is time, when it is gone, it is gone and there is no way to get it back :dunno:

You can't put all of the blame on at the Federal level. The liberals knew, or ought of have known that they would need federal approval and should have taken this into consideration when setting up a time frame for the implentation.

So the province should have known that the Fed's would be incapable of reading and okaying the new reg's? Perhaps you are right.

Of course they knew they needed Federal approval and the Fed's were involved in the process. The Fed's received the work within the timeframe that was set up.