Lake Nipissing Summit

Nipfisher

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3210457

Nipissing First Nation, city host Lake Nipissing summit

<h3 class="npSubheadline"></h3>

By Press Release

Posted 7 hours ago

All leaders of municipalities and Nations that surround and touch Lake Nipissing will come together at Nipissing University on July 13th, for a day of shared learning and discussions. The intent is to develop a shared vision for the future of Lake Nipissing.

Nipissing First Nation and the City of North Bay are co-hosting a leadership summit to learn about the benefits and share the many growing concerns about the changes that are having negative effects on Lake Nipissing. The health of Lake Nipissing is vital to the economy and standard of living that all people in the Nipissing District enjoy. The lake's estimated economic value is more than $100 million per year. The livelihoods of people in every community surrounding the lake depend on the long term health of this important resource.

"We need to come together as Care Takers of this Lake to ensure we are providing what is needed for a healthy Lake for all to enjoy" says Chief Marianna Couchie

The day will begin with an opportunity to hear from experts about the environmental, health, economic and social impacts that are relevant to everyone who live around the lake. Experts and resource people will provide historical background, and analysis on the various economic, environmental and social impacts that are derived from Lake Nipissing.

The afternoon will provide the local leaders with time to discuss amongst themselves the common interests and possible actions that can be taken and explored to help ensure the continuing Health of the Lake. The day is meant to be a positive discussion about going forward.

Following this summit the intent is to bring together all stakeholders, associations, ministries, governments, interest groups, and surrounding municipalities for a larger gathering to discuss and plan on how we can work together to ensure a healthy Lake for the future. We are hopeful that this session will lay the foundation for additional collaborative work plans for the future vision for Lake Nipissing.

Nice to see they are taking the first step... I doubt any government agency would have attempted this. I'm sure Nipissing can handle a small commercial fishery, but everyone needs to know the facts.

Are you going Nipfisher? Wanna be our inside reporter?

Not sure it will result in any real action. I've fished the French River, at least twice a year, since the early 90's. The decline of the walleye is very real. I've seen nets on the French, and according to some folks I know, there is even spearing below the dams. Slot limits don't make any difference when you have netting, and even spearing, especially during the spawn.

Much as I love the French, and its ambience, my son and I are seriously considering seeking new water. It will certainly increase the travel time, but I expect at least to catch fish on a trip. It doesn't have to be great, even mediocre, with an occasional good day thrown in, will do.

Damn shame.

Edited by bigcreekdad

I'm sure something is going to come out of it. The area mayors were suprised that a lake bring in $100 million a year and the OMNR is budgeting $70,000 a year compared to Nip First nation putting in $300 000 a year and receive zero from the $100 million. I would suspect they are going to take a united approach to get more monies spent on this very important resource.

Just a side note. The First nation began their efforts in 2003, and every year the FWIN has shown a steady growth in numbers until 2009. Something "new" had to happen around this time. The netting has always been there (commercially and not)and the numbers of commercial fisherman have lowered since 2003. Previous to 2003 there were more fisherman, plus they were allowed to set as many nets as they wanted. Now they have a max number and there are less of them. If anything the population should be growing.

You can see some of this info on the OMNRs status of the fishery report. Have a great day all.

BTW the bite has been on around the mouth and in the french.

I'm sure something is going to come out of it. The area mayors were suprised that a lake bring in $100 million a year and the OMNR is budgeting $70,000 a year compared to Nip First nation putting in $300 000 a year and receive zero from the $100 million. I would suspect they are going to take a united approach to get more monies spent on this very important resource.

Just a side note. The First nation began their efforts in 2003, and every year the FWIN has shown a steady growth in numbers until 2009. Something "new" had to happen around this time. The netting has always been there (commercially and not)and the numbers of commercial fisherman have lowered since 2003. Previous to 2003 there were more fisherman, plus they were allowed to set as many nets as they wanted. Now they have a max number and there are less of them. If anything the population should be growing.

You can see some of this info on the OMNRs status of the fishery report. Have a great day all.

BTW the bite has been on around the mouth and in the french.

Hey we need to get out fishing together. I'll PM you.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

nothing will ever be accomplished on these issues as long as one side absolves itself of responsibility and points the finger at the other side.

nothing will ever be accomplished on these issues as long as one side absolves itself of responsibility and points the finger at the other side.

Those of us that buy licenses and observe the slot and don't fish with gill nets are clearly the problem. Clearly a gill net discriminates in the size and type of fish it kills, clearly gill nets are a sustainable method of fishing as has been proven in our healthy oceans. Gill nets can have no impact on the ecosystem of the lake, and being legally allowed to sell fish caught in a gill net surely would not result in increased fishing pressure, nor would government sponsored equipment and processing facilities. In fact, the experts will tell you that there should be more fish than ever. Yes that's right, commercial fishing should actually improve the fishery, and it is known the world over that commercial fishing brings much more economic benefit per fish than does sport fishing. The decline in fishing recently can only be due to sport fishing, it is after all something done by people who hate the environment and would prefer if there were no fish at all, they only take part in the sport in hopes that sooner or later all the fish will be gone. Thankfully the conservationists will be out there working hard to improve the walleye fishery with a blanketed application of gill nets, with any luck they will at the same time rid the lake of the musky and pike. The day i saw a couple dozen suckers being pulled out of one net I was extremely thankful to that fishermen, the sea gulls were hungry after all, and those fish, while seemingly harmless, were no doubt part of some nefarious plot, good riddance I say, the lake can only be the better for it.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

approaching the issue with a massive chip on your shoulder is never going to solve anything, nor will it get the nipissing band engaged in open dialogue.

i encourage those who are engaging in dialogue at this meeting. they will do far more for the fishery than stone throwers like blarg.

Maybe an approach to eliminate the gill nets like we did in NYS would work....

Back in the 80's NYS bought out all the gill netters including their equipment by issuing a Lake Erie Stamp for 3 years...so if you wanted to fish Lake Erie you needed this special stamp and the proceeds went directly to the commercial fishermen....but after only 2 years enough money was generated to accomplish the complete buy out and the stamp requirement was dropped for the third year of the program. Since then PA and Ohio did similar things to do away with gill netting on Lake Erie and the walleye and perch populations have rebound to great populations.

Something to think about and discuss with the natives in that area.

The commercial fishery on Nip isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. You can bring that to the bank. The legal netting only represents a small portion of the fish removed from the lake over a one year span and considering the money it puts back into research and care, it probably does just as much good for the lake. Like Crosshairs suggested, that is their lively hood and I don't think their plan is to fish out the lake, then move on to the next large lake.

If you dont' catch walleye in nipissing, what do you do? Well you move on to the next lake and tell everyone Nipissing is fished out and do nothing about it. The natives can't really do the same... i think that is one of the major points here.

The illegal netting, or non-business netting, well, is a completely different story. Just like we get slapped and shamed for keeping over our daily possession limit, the illegal netters should have to face consequences for their actions, and it should be made public so that everyone knows it.