portable rod holders with clamps

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/bait-caster-spinning-rod-holder.htm

However, if you own the boat, i use this, the number 300, extended power lock.The base attaches to a seat, and the extension brings the holder above the side of the boat. They remove for storage, leaving only the small mounting bracket behind.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/powerlock.htm

They sell for about 25 bucks at sail or BPS.

If your using a smaller aluminum that doesnt have wide enough sides to attach the scottys that Mercman is talking about the clamps can be found for them but are a pain another solution for them is get a 2x6 long enough to go across the boat and 2 clamps to each side of the wood, clamp the wood to the boat and attach the rod holders to the wood probably the cheapest and most durable way for a smaller aluminum. If you got any more questions let me know I can try and find a pic for you, I have used them up north with my uncle and not a problem with them and then you can also take it off no problem.

Plastic holders are OK if your pulling small baits but if your baits are large with alot drag you want something strong like the metal DownEasters.

This one is clamped to the side rail of my boat but you can also get them that clamp right onto your gunnels.

Cnv0608.jpg

The down easter's are really great....and you won't end up getting a quality rod holder with base for less than $40 anyway. I use a Canon very similar to the Scotty baitcaster/spinning rod holder...except my Canon has the plastic cuff that the SCotty "powerlock" model has.

I originally just bolted mine onto a piece of wood, and clamped that to the boat with a c-clamp....but this year I ordered the Scotty 449 clamping base....totally worth it. Way more secure, and goes on with far less hassle. I paid $20 for the holder last year at LeBaron, and $25 for the clamp-on base this year. Had the guy at Shortwave, who is a Scotty dealer, order the base for me.

here's a home made rod holder solution we've used for fly-ins. 1 1/4 inch pipe wired to the seats as shown. the pipes and wire role up with your bedroll and not much weight at all.

phish

Hey ofners ,

I am in the market to buy a portable rod holder for an aluminum boat. I troll for walleye and pike . Any suggestions on brands I should be looking for . I want to buy one that I won't have to worry about breaking or getting ripped off the boat

Thanks for your help

bow lake 2006 020small.jpg

bow lake 2006 021small.jpg