My first King!

alphaalpha

Well after doing tons of research and practicing (washing lures) this spring I finally hooked into my first king!

Being day one of the GOSD there were a ton of boats out there first thing in the morning. I am not one to enjoy being surrounded by others so my father-inlaw and I went out to the fringe of the pack and started trolling away from them. Within 45minutes of trolling the dipsy rod fired and began to peel out drag. It took about 400feet of line before stopping. I was able to gain about 50feet of line back before it came off.

Upon reeling in the line I found this

straightenedhook.jpg

An exciting start to say the least and figure that it would have been quite the large fish to straighten out the hook. I cut the weak barb off and sent the rig back out.

Continuing on we had two more hits on my stepfathers old rod which snapped the line both times. I thought he ran 20lb test on it but I may have been mistaken so I put that rod away for the day.

About an hour after starting one of the riggers fires and line starts peeling. He took 300' of line before I was able to turn him. 15min and a pair of burning arms later we get him in the boat and weigh him at an even 20lbs. My first king and biggest fish to date!

FirstKing20lbjuly9.jpg

The day wouldn't end there. we kept on our original depth of 165' of water and landed a couple more; a ten a 5 and a couple decent 'bows. At one point my father-in-law was up when the rigger fired and he actually had two rainbow on! One on the main and one on the slider, both of which looked about 4-5lbs. He had them both about 50' back from the boat when one came off but we managed to get in the other. They must've hit at pretty much the exact same time, quite a cool experience.

After that things died down and we didn't get a sniff for about 2hrs. We then trolled out deeper and started hitting fish in 190-200fow. Immediately after dropping one line back down after a knock off the dipsy goes off and starts peeling line. It was my father-in-laws turn but he said he wanted me to take it so he could watch me land a big one. After a brief argument I start to work the fish. not 10secondds later the rigger on the other side fires and starts peeling as well. DOUBLE HEADER! Unfortunately he didn't get to watch me battle the fish like he wanted as he had to pull in an 18lb'er of his own while mine was a measely 16 ;) both fish were landed and the high fives commenced. :thumbsup_anim:

All in all it was an amazing day out there with a very nice first. for those that are interested riggers were set 35 and 45 feet down and dipsy was set 150' back on #2 setting with a green flasher and fly that took 3 fish. We ended up 9/14 (including the lost one that was on the two on one :whistling: ) hot lure was the watermelon NK mag which took 4. Trolling speed on GPS was always around 3mph and surface temps were 65F.

Cheers,

-AA.

Thanks all!

I launch out of Pickering and the knees were knocking pretty good but had a good 15minutes of fighting to settle them down and get everything in the boat ready to land him ;)

Did a fair amount of bass fishing last year, I think the little green fish will get a bit of a break from me this summer B)

-AA.