pickeral river / lower french

Freshtrax

Hey im headed up thurs. Night how are the bugs. And hows the fishing bin? Im putting in at the hwy. And headded west about 20km to ox bay. Its my girlfreinds first time to the area and first canoe in camping trip....we will see how it goes lol....but she does enjoy fishing.

Hey im headed up thurs. Night how are the bugs. And hows the fishing bin? Im putting in at the hwy. And headded west about 20km to ox bay. Its my girlfreinds first time to the area and first canoe in camping trip....we will see how it goes lol....but she does enjoy fishing.

Can only post from past experience, take plenty of bug spray and pic coils. A can of bear repellent might not be a bad thing to take along either if you are camping. Fishing will depend on conditions at the time. You can always catch something!

Big cliff the bears will leave ya alone as long as you dont sleep with your food!. Ive heard them on mysites before never bothered me but i guess theres always a chance. "The fishing was slow but we caught a bunch of eyes and a 46"muskie". Well thats pretty good "slow" fishing i would say"

Edited by Freshtrax

I've spent more than one Canada day long weekend camping at the Bad river delta downstream from where you're going.

Never in my life have I seen mosquitos that bad.

Not a nightfall thing either, they'd start early evening and swarm like you wouldn't believe.

A small compact screen tent from Canadian Tire might not be a bad idea.

The Ox bay area in general has good fishing. Being in a canoe you may be hamstrung somewhat though.

On the way down the Pickeral check your map and look for small lakes/back bays that feed into the river on your left side. If memory serves from the train bridge down to Ox bay. One in particular you had to pull over a beaver dam to get in...pretty good fishing.

In that area we'd always head up the main channel of the French to the train bridge then Flat Rapids just beyond for walleye. Not sure if that's out of reach for you.

In general if you want bigger walleye on that system troll the shorelines at night with floating Rapalas or something similar.

Hahah i know the exact back lake your talkin about... No bever dam but a lodge on the left...small channel that opens to a medium lake. Lots of rocks better have your tinniy in reverse if you want to make it in there the camsite i have bin goingto for years is within eyeshot of this small channel.