Replacing a loose rivet in a boat ?

Bondar

I'm helping a friend do a little TLC on his boat and we found a couple loose rivets in the boat , now without pulling up the floor and putting in new solid rivets , what would be the best solution to replacing these loose rivets

my though was to drill out the loose rivet and replace them with sealed blind rivets but i'm not sure if these are strong enough for the job

If anyone has experience with this or a better way to fix this problem i'd love to hear it

thanks for any help you can give

Jeff

As a temporary fix(it actually holds for a long time)Cover the loose rivets with Marine Goop(available at CT in the boat dept.Wet your finger slightly and smooth it out.Allow 24 hours to dry before going out on the water.It is flexible and incredibly strong and will not peel off like silicone.

There is another product I used, can't think of the name though???? It was cheap too, like 5 or 6 sticks(enough to almost do a whole 18ft boat) for about $10, from Home Hardware.

Where you heat the area and add the product to the area, then let it sit over night and cure.

Worked well for me on my clunker anyways :thumbsup_anim:

If you can, its probably easiest just to rebuck the loose rivets

Edited by manitoubass2

I use These

Part# PTTD604H or PTTD606H depending on thickness of the metal where the rivet is going.

These are 20% stronger than aluminum rivets and are stainless rivet/mandrel so they won't corrode.

Put a dab of 3M 5200 sealer on before inserting the rivet and it will never leak again.

I use These

Part# PTTD604H or PTTD606H depending on thickness of the metal where the rivet is going.

These are 20% stronger than aluminum rivets and are stainless rivet/mandrel so they won't corrode.

Put a dab of 3M 5200 sealer on before inserting the rivet and it will never leak again.

exactly what im after Thank you !!!! thanks everyone else too for the putty ideas but its been down that road before so looking for a more permanent fix !!!

cheers

Aluminum buck rivots, some sealant, an air hammer and a peice of steel stock(or a hammer).

Thats all you need to it properly for a good tight fit. The rivots varies from 3/16 to 5/16nths for what you need.

Pm me if you need further assistance fixing the issue.

Edited by vinnimon

thanks guys , but i'm looking for a fix where i can only get at one side of the rivet , i'm going to give the closed blind rivets a go

They do sell waterproof rivots in 3/16 plus, an manual rivot gun and adding sealant in the hole should work for you.Contact transaxle or traction, they should have some in stock. If not, pm me and I will see what I can do for ya.whistling.gif

They do sell waterproof rivots in 3/16 plus, an manual rivot gun and adding sealant in the hole should work for you.Contact transaxle or traction, they should have some in stock. If not, pm me and I will see what I can do for ya.whistling.gif

wicked thanks !!