Yesterday's storm in the Kawarthas

Big Cliff

Ok gang, I have to go over to Bean's on Sunday and try to get that tree off his shed, I have a chainsaw but could really use a bit of help. Anyone available for an hour or two? Ok, Ok, might take 3 but we have to get it off his shed before it causes any serious damage and I know Beans can't do it.

Hey Cliff,

thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

I hereby insist that you reward yourself for your outstanding efforts by consuming the balance of that fine Dalwhinnie.

I would come up to personally supervise you (and of course help out Beans) but as you know, we are moving Mom this weekend wallbash.gif .

to our house wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

for 3 weeks wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Cheers,

Simon

Simon, as I told you, that bottle will be saved for your next visit. It is far too special for one to enjoy without good company! It is a treasure I will enjoy with he that brought it!

Hmmmmmm................

Sent Beans an email last night asking if all was well.

It explains why I havent heard back from him yet.....

I cant make it up to the Manor until Saturday.......

Now I'm nervous after reading all the news reports.....

Meely

Just got off the phone from talking with both Meely and Cliff

Meely couldn't stand the not knowing so he and a friend took a run up last evening just before dark to find that the "Manor" was fine , no power so he lost stuff in the fridge and freezer but other than that "alls well"...

I thanked Cliff for his kind offer for the generator...at least we could alternate the power from the stand-up freezer and the other fridge in the garage so hopefully our food loss will be minimal...

Quite a 48 hours...cooking and boiling water for coffee on the bbq...watching some old dvds "The Best of Johnie Carson" and "The Best of The Beverly Hillbillies" on the TV...listening to the ball games and news on radio (battery powered)...

We don't realize how much we rely on electricity, cable and phones until they are not available...

See ya on Sunday Cliff...I threw a tarp over the generator as they are calling for rain tonight...

Ok gang, I have to go over to Bean's on Sunday and try to get that tree off his shed, I have a chainsaw but could really use a bit of help. Anyone available for an hour or two? Ok, Ok, might take 3 but we have to get it off his shed before it causes any serious damage and I know Beans can't do it.

I'm in Cliff. I'll see if I can round up Sean & Troy. I'll call you tomorrow afternoon to confirm details.

I'm in Cliff. I'll see if I can round up Sean & Troy. I'll call you tomorrow afternoon to confirm details.

Thanks Simon but that is a long way to come just for a couple of hours, you'd spend more time getting here than it will take to do the job. Young Brad, the fellow that apprentices with me has offered to come and help if I need him.

Thanks Simon but that is a long way to come just for a couple of hours, you'd spend more time getting here than it will take to do the job. Young Brad, the fellow that apprentices with me has offered to come and help if I need him.

But then I wouldn't get a chance to meet another legend. I'll call you this afternoon.

Any Mississauga members here have a chainsaw they can lend out for a day?

I have a chain saw Simon

I got a chainsaw also...only problem is it is electric and useless in a "blackout"...rolleyes.gif

Like Cliff sez..."it is a long way to come just to remove half of a very tall spruce tree" that snapped off and is sitting on top of my shed...Nice of you to offer...

Edited by Beans

I lost a 50' maple in the same storm Norm and just took the final load of it to the local dump this morning. The dumps have been really busy since Wednesday with all the clean-up, but at least their not charging to drop off anything storm related. Don't know if that'll apply to your area or not but I would think so :dunno:

I figured today would be very busy so I purposely arrived 30 minutes early and there were already a dozen trucks lined up ahead of me. By the time the gates opened at 9:00 there were probably another 15 or 20 behind me.

Edited by lew

I lost a 50' maple in the same storm Norm and just took the final load of it to the local dump this morning. The dumps have been really busy since Wednesday with all the clean-up, but at least their not charging to drop off anything storm related. Don't know if that'll apply to your area or not but I would think so :dunno:

I figured today would be very busy so I purposely arrived 30 minutes early and there were already a dozen trucks lined up ahead of me. By the time the gates opened at 9:00 there were probably another 15 or 20 behind me.

I was wonderin" how you survived the storm...

Lots of good firewood in a maple tree Lew...

Could hear several chainsaws buzzing when I was out taking the pictures...

I was wonderin" how you survived the storm...

We actually got lucky this time Norm cause it seems like the powers still out all around us and alot of folks won't get it back till maybe tomorrow morning. Ours flickered a few times but we never lost it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Good to hear your back up and running again now.

When the big storm came thru here last time we lost power for 50 hours but I'm wired for a generator so it wasn't a problem.

Nice work Cliff. :thumbsup_anim:

I think Beans was planning on posting the locations of all of his best walleye and crappie spots today on OFC.

Maybe you could help him out by doing that for him as well. :whistling:

Michael...In the eight years I have lived here I have yet to find a good pickerel spot and as far as our crappie honeyhole...I would have to suffer the wrath of Vinnie (The Chin) and Guido if I divulged it...

I had to take Cliff into it blindfolded and he was driving...good.gifgood.gifgood.gif