Adding weight to your lure

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know some guidelines on how much weight to add to your lure to get it deeper? I want to try this technique, but I have no idea what will work. If I add a 1/4 oz split shot to my line and I'm fishing a Husky jerk, any idea how deep the lure will run while casting? I realize there are some variables involved.....type of lure, lure weight, size, etc. But I'm hoping ther might be a "basic rule of thumb" for this topic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes adding wheight ahead of the bait will work,but there is other ways to,it can depend on your line diameter,as well as amount of line that you have out,to much line will actually bring your lure back up to the top,you can also use suspending-dots that are small dots made of lead and they work well,also there is now a product called sticky weight,and its soft and you can bend it and shape it to anysize...so check things out,like i said its just a few of the things that you can do,as well there is lead core line to....take care cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Try drilling small holes under the body of the bait,starting with one hole at a time, then push in a split shot,and put a dab of epoxy to keep in in the hole.

Trial and error with this method, I know the musky guys do this.

I like to add the stick-on weights to the bottom of the bait till you find the proper weight for what you want it to do, then you can do as misfish suggested, and open the bottom of the bait and put the weights in permanently. You just need to keep experimenting till you find the proper weight and position that works.

These are 10" wooden musky baits, but the same principle should work with smaller lures.

Cnv1649.jpg

Cnv1651.jpg

Lews got a great picture there, on the majority of baits the weight is right behind the first hook/ usually the thickest part of the body that's why. Anyway if you are using plastic lures or don't want to cut your wood lures until you know for sure or just want a temporary change, you can get those stick on weights like Lew said or hang a bell weight sinker on the front hook split ring.

Lew , awesome .

I also do the exact same ....almost.

I cut the heads off a couple lag bolts and sunk them into the belly.

I wrote an article for the MCI release journal about it and the success I had.

It was in march april 's edition

matts_baits_008_(Medium).jpg

matts_baits_007_(Medium).jpg