Last weekend in Nosbonsing

g_clot

After a fruitful May 2-4 with the finacee’s family three of us decided to make our first fishing trip north of Parry Sound. My best friend, best fishing friend (and future brother-in-law) and I booked an artificial long weekend at Birch Hill Camp on Nosbonsing.

We left Mississauga at 4:45am on Sat (May 28), and hit the highway after a well needed Timmy’s run. Man do the trees get bigger north of Huntsville.

We arrived at Camp before 9am and were greeted by an energetic and very friendly Henry (and family). After a quick stop to unload at the tent house we hit the docks.

Against Henry’s recommendation we used lures instead of his minnows. wallbash.gif Well…. after 4 hours on the water at our pre-planned destinations we got skunked.

We took a quick ride back to the dock, ate some lunch and took a nap with the intentions of doing some evening fishing. Well, I open my eyes, check my clock and see 9:30pm on the dial. sleeping_02.gif No night fishing for us! We resorted to plan B, big fires, junk food and litres of beer!

We got up on Sunday by 7am and headed straight to the boat. We picked up a few dozen of Henry’s minnows and went to his recommended spots. Within 10 minutes… FISH ON!

My buddy caught his first ever pike! clapping.gif

iPhone4124.jpg

iPhone4129.jpg

30 more minutes go by with nothing so we move. Spot #2 delivers. Within a few casts the rod tips slowly bend. FISH ON! My buddy caught his first ever walter! thumbsup_anim.gif

iPhone4125.jpg

After an hour we had a few more boated and a few missed. Included is my PB perch, pinched tail at 10”.

iPhone4121.jpg

iPhone4126.jpg

iPhone4123.jpg

iPhone4122.jpg

iPhone4128.jpg

Our last spot of the morning produced what may be my personal best smallie (sorry for the OOS pic, I’m proud and it went back real fast).

iPhone4120.jpg

We went back to the Camp for sandwiches, beer and a nap.

That evening we fished the doc and added 3 new species, making it our first 7 species day (pike, walleye, SM, channel cat, crayfish, rock bass and perch).

iPhone4133.jpg

iPhone4134.jpg

iPhone4130.jpg

iPhone4135.jpg

iPhone4131.jpg

On day 3 we fished a few early hours with only a pike caught.

iPhone4132.jpg

We’ll be back someday for sure. It was by far my favorite trip and I’m already planning next year’s. biggrin.gif

Thanks Henry for a fantastic weekend. cool.gif

Oh... forgot to mention... the OPP were out strong and, well, us respectful and productive citizens did get a ticket for having a beer on our way back to the dock (just the passengers of course, though they did breathalize the driver who blew a zero of course). oops.gif We're glad they were doing their job and respect them whole-heartedly. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Very nice report and the look on your buddies face with his new firsts said it all.

Thanks Mike. When the pike hit his lure was 3 ft from the boat and his legs instantly buckled...lol. He was shaking for at least 20 minutes after the pics. I think I just converted him to the dark side rolleyes.gif

Oh... forgot to mention... the OPP were out strong and, well, us respectful and productive citizens did get a ticket for having a beer on our way back to the dock (just the passengers of course, though they did breathalize the driver who blew a zero of course)

...been there done that! Nice fine isn't it!!!! wow!

Oh... forgot to mention... the OPP were out strong and, well, us respectful and productive citizens did get a ticket for having a beer on our way back to the dock (just the passengers of course, though they did breathalize the driver who blew a zero of course)

...been there done that! Nice fine isn't it!!!! wow!

Ya, $150 each. That ended up nearly doubling the trip's cost for the two of us. They were good officers though. AND, next time (and every thereafter), we'll save the celebratory tall can for dry land.

Wow...Lake Nosi and Henry...some good old memories there.

We went up to Henzel's (that's what we knew him as) back in 1993 and had a weeklong commraderie with him...and his brother John, I might add. At that time his parents still owned the camp, but he was running it for the most part. Good guy...and very, uh, energetic as you put it. We still talk about him today amongst us that went up that year. The stories he would tell were great, and we partied with him everyday for a week...even went up to his pad in the woods one evening about 6-8 miles from camp for some more partying.

Looks like the fishing is about the same on Nosi. Small 'eyes, smallish pike, and healthy smallies. We fished mostly for pike and smallies...always had trouble getting those pesky 'eyes.

Great report...and I thank you for bringing back some good old memories.