Another BPS experience

pikehunter

On Monday I had to drive from Hamilton to an important interview in Woodbridge at 9:30 A.M knowing that I then had to get back home to pack a lunch and be at work for my 2 P.M shift.

Interview went great and it was for a traveling company rep postion that is right up my alley, still waiting though to meet with the head hauncho for a second bout of questions (fingers crossed)

So after that since I'm only blocks away from BPS I figure it's a perfect opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. I go right to the fishing dept of course, find the Mepps Brown Trout Dressed spinners that cannot be found in the Hammer and grab 6 of them with the intention of giving half of them away. Price on the rack was $6.29, an increase from 5 something last year. Then I turn around and find them alongside the next aisle's endcap at $5.99, catch a BPS staff member and tell him the situation. He says, old price, or it's wrong, maybe a differet size the price is 6.29. I say no I'm paying 5.99, it's only 30 cents but I don't care. Have to find a manager. Manager Todd says OK, pay 5.99, tell cash I said so. (Ya right, that will be an experience as in about 2 minutes he'll prob be on a break and then another round of proving the price will start) Thank you Todd but the guy on the floor could have handled it quicker and said that yes you should pay the lower price and not insist as he did that the pice is $6.29 and that's it!

Go over to another aisle and pick up a bunch of B.B swivels and then over to clothing and grab a deal on a couple of nice shirts. Realize I don't have my BPS point card so it's over to the service desk. Waited, waited, waited and waited. 2 are working but one is busy dealing with another staff member and the other is screwing around with the 'puter. Finally he gets up but not to serve me or the crowd lining up behind but to take off to do a different task or to go on break???

I say Screw it and leave my basket of about 70 bucks worth of merchandise on the floor.

Made it to home and then to Ancaster on time for work. It's a difficult shift. All of the managers are wound up as tight as a pregnant bride dressed in white on her wedding day 'cause the VP and a bunch of other hotshots are going to show up to walk our store later this week. Myself and another associate are to spend the evening helping out customers and clean up some out dated products, change displays, clean up that sort of stuff. Buddy is emptying out a large display and all product in it was marked down from 200 and 159 to $99...according to the label. 'Puter disagrees and says the one and only one left of $199 model is no longer $99 but reg. price....sounds like my BPS encounter in the morning doesn't it? I confirm this with the other products and the same with price. Not only that but the model they want is a taped up box and probably a returned item. Who knows if all the parts to this retractable screen are there?

I begin to get frustrated, not with the customer but the dumb system and the fact that not one of us working there caught the price change and I then remember the morning's trial with the Mepps and cover up my emotions. We open the box and do a parts list checkoff, all seems to be OK. Next step is to tape it back up and take the customer to the cash to get the front end manager, who I then had to find for a price markdown to $99. Customer leaves happy (at least till he tries to assemble this thing and gets frustrated) and I feel that I have in my own mind at least put BPS in their place and went a few steps further with Customer Service.

Moral: You better not try to rush into BPS, or actually any store as a fact and expect to get out of there in a hurry when time is short. Plus I must remember my own experience with that morning's incident of poor service and to do my best to make the public satisfied.

Not saying I'm better or where I currently work is the perfect service experience one may have, I'm only recounting what some others here have stated about their experience at BPS.

Let's all have a beer and go fishing!

Gonefishing.gif

Had some bad issues at BPS also Harry. I went to the electronics both to get some info on a new GPS-depth finder. 3 guys there behind the counter with those Pro shirts, shooting the crap looking at me like I had 3 heads. No help, I just walked away. That's why I shop local, little tackle shop on upper James :whistling: gets my business plus they'll price match on most. I still go to BPS if I'm driving by and have the time to look around for different things.

I have had bad service there, I like going there because most often they have things I need that other tackle shops don't but there service is truly horrible. It's full of a bunch of students that probably don't know there :asshat: for a hole in the ground. I don't mean every employee there doesn't know anything but I have ask plenty of workers where things are and they look at you first and with a dumb look on there face then, oh I think we are out of them. I continue to look and wow there they are lol. I will continue to go to my local tackle shops and when I'm near vaughan I just stop in and get some things that are hard to find. I agree big time pikehunter.

I have those experiences everywhere. Especially any large store. Honestly, the issues you ran into were created by yourself. Price adjustments and forgetting your card, that's a guaranteed wait almost anywhere. It's no excuse for lackluster customer service, but it's hard to expect much else these days.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

BPS is too big and impersonal and I get sick of the "pros" in tackle shops real easy.

Like Craig Ritchie, I shop online.

I have never had anything but positive experiences there. Its a big box store so you're not going to get specialty knowledge but that's fine with me.

A thought from the cheap seats -- the gas and time to drive there and shop was worth more than the 30 cents in savings or 7 cents in rewards points you would have received.

i love bps.... was there today on my lunch break, they had everything i needed and now im stocked and ready to rock for muskie opener. if you know who to look for you will get the info you need as well, definetely some idiots working there but many very friendly and helpful people as well.

as for forgetting your bps rewards card, you could have just bought your stuff and came back with the bill another time and redeemed your points. or even called customer service after the fact.

if you keep an eye on the sales bps has you will come out on top everytime.

Sorry Harry.. but I got screwed for numerous $2.25 pops today, $20 to park TWICE today and I won't mention all the other expenses that happen each day down here. I'd pay $10 right now for a single hook and worm if I could get out to use them!

I've said it before and will say it again. If you don't get the service you want shop else where. In todays economy everyone is competing for your dollar and after you give it to them they could care less about you. I learned my lesson and shop at a local shop Bills Bait and tackle. The deals and customer service I get there is top notch. One thing I would have done is complain to management about your issue. I know you had to go but to just drop things and leave no one knows that you were unhappy with the service. If everyone complains they will eventually have to do something about it.