My good deed for the day

mercman

Last summer while out fishing wit the wife, we met a young fellow out fishing in a beat up old tinnie, with an old 15hp evinrude on it.He had customized the little boat so that he could troll while fishing off a small casting deck in the center of the boat. He was full of enthusiasm, as he told us where he was catching some big pike, and what he was using as bait.He proudly showed us some beat up Rapala DT series lures that were so badly scraped up you could hardly tell what color they were. We saw him 5 or 6 times last year and he always came over to see us in his little boat.

This year we were docking the boat, and there was a beat up little tinnie there, and sure enough, our little buddy was again.He recognized us, and was awed by my new boat. Last year we had the 14ft fisherman. We talked for about half an hour and we started talking lures and stuff.I showed him my Koppers live target collection and his eyes got huge. 'Man you must be rich he said, I could never afford those lures, but i have seen them.' I was embarassed by that and said heck no, far from it.

He helped me trailer the boat, and left.We sat there on the dock for about an hour, and i heard a yell from out in the river. He was jumping up and down in his boat yelling WALLEYE !!! WALLEYE!!! Holding up what looked like a 24-30in walley for me to see. Signaling that i was impressed, be bent down and put it back in the water.

I was out to Sail on Saturday, and was looking at the Live Target lures, and i couldnt help but pick up a nice 5in perch one and put it in the boat. Tonite, sure enough, he was on the water. I signaled him to come over to my boat, and through him the lure, brand new in the box.He looked and said" WOW, really nice."He was about to throw it back over when i said, Its yours, keep it.

His jaw dropped, and i dont know how many times he said thank you.He promised to keep the first walleye he caught with it for me, and went about his fishing, leaving me feeling very satisfied inside.

Amazing how helping others can do you more good than them, eh?

(I was gonna give smartass comment about "What only one good deed today???but thought better of it, ............or did I?????????

Last summer while out fishing wit the wife, we met a young fellow out fishing in a beat up old tinnie, with an old 15hp evinrude on it.He had customized the little boat so that he could troll while fishing off a small casting deck in the center of the boat. He was full of enthusiasm, as he told us where he was catching some big pike, and what he was using as bait.He proudly showed us some beat up Rapala DT series lures that were so badly scraped up you could hardly tell what color they were. We saw him 5 or 6 times last year and he always came over to see us in his little boat.

This year we were docking the boat, and there was a beat up little tinnie there, and sure enough, our little buddy was again.He recognized us, and was awed by my new boat. Last year we had the 14ft fisherman. We talked for about half an hour and we started talking lures and stuff.I showed him my Koppers live target collection and his eyes got huge. 'Man you must be rich he said, I could never afford those lures, but i have seen them.' I was embarassed by that and said heck no, far from it.

He helped me trailer the boat, and left.We sat there on the dock for about an hour, and i heard a yell from out in the river. He was jumping up and down in his boat yelling WALLEYE !!! WALLEYE!!! Holding up what looked like a 24-30in walley for me to see. Signaling that i was impressed, be bent down and put it back in the water.

I was out to Sail on Saturday, and was looking at the Live Target lures, and i couldnt help but pick up a nice 5in perch one and put it in the boat. Tonite, sure enough, he was on the water. I signaled him to come over to my boat, and through him the lure, brand new in the box.He looked and said" WOW, really nice."He was about to throw it back over when i said, Its yours, keep it.

His jaw dropped, and i dont know how many times he said thank you.He promised to keep the first walleye he caught with it for me, and went about his fishing, leaving me feeling very satisfied inside.

Another thought has come to mind while reading this story......And yes it is having fun at our (your) expense.

It references a golf to fishing analogy I like to make: They are both sports wear one can spend an inordinate amount of money on equipment and it still does not make us better at the sport. I cannot hit a ball farther or putt more accuratley with an expensive driver and putter than I can with a cheap Amity special set of clubs.

So here is this young man, full of enthusiasm for the sport that we all enjoy, kicking your butt on the same water you fish with "sub-standard" equipment. GOOD for him!

end friendly poke at ourselves...

Another thought has come to mind while reading this story......And yes it is having fun at our (your) expense.

It references a golf to fishing analogy I like to make: They are both sports wear one can spend an inordinate amount of money on equipment and it still does not make us better at the sport. I cannot hit a ball farther or putt more accuratley with an expensive driver and putter than I can with a cheap Amity special set of clubs.

So here is this young man, full of enthusiasm for the sport that we all enjoy, kicking your butt on the same water you fish with "sub-standard" equipment. GOOD for him!

end friendly poke at ourselves...

Gonefishing.gif

Confidence goes a long way in catching fish.I guess he has been fishing these waters longer than me, so he is confident that he will catch. He shared his wealth of knowledge, i shared my good fortune.Its nice to see a young fellow so passionate about something.

Good on ya Paul! Did I mention what my 1975 Lund looks like... :whistling:

I too have to say, offer him a baot ride and see what you all can come up with. You never know what you can learn from him and vise-versa. :thumbsup_anim:

Just check him for anything that can hurt you before he get's on the boat; much like I do with Wayne and others... :rolleyes: