Items For Sale

Fishnwire

I notice in the classifieds section here, there will often be posts made by people selling many new or nearly new rods and reels, or unopened lures. These items will usually be top of the line merchandise. What I don't understand is this...when I buy expensive gear, I agonize over each purchase made. I make a half decent living...even so, when I do finally pick something up, I'm certain I want it and will use it for some time. I have bought a few items that I've been disappointed with, but I usually just hold on to them for use as spares, loaners, or whatever.

Why would someone buy a dozen or so expensive combos or bags full of cranks that they never/rarely use? I can see doing so if money is not an issue, but if that's the case...why bother selling them off? If there is anyone who "just needs the space"...I'll pay the shipping to Sudbury on any decent piece you want rid of. ;)

Also, I wonder if a guy has an ad with 10-20 rods for sale...how many does he actually own?

I understand it's really none of my business how many rods anyone chooses to purchase/sell...I'm just curious how people accumulate a lot of quality gear which they don't even want.

Not all, but some folks buy "lots" of lures off ebay and re-sell them. It is actually a half decent business. Buy from the States or Asia a few lures at a time and when you have a solid "lot" of them you sell them off here and on other site classifeids.

Others either have hook ups with distributors, reps and/or manufacturers themselves. Or buy at clubs/shows and resell. I have seen stuff I have sold show up in some classifieds before, right after purchase.

Doesn't really matter where they get them from as long as they are not stolen, if it's a good deal grab it!

Edited by Harrison

I for one buy a ton of crap. I buy it and if I dont like it ,it goes. I usually buy everything at a good deal so I dont lose on anything. I have had some guys from this board see what it is that I have and they usually tell me I need to be committed. I could probally start a tackle store if I wanted. My stuff isnt stolen and is always either brand new or just about. I never just buy any one of anything. I have issues. :rofl2: I have a full email list that goes out usually before posting stuff that my stuff rarely makes it to the net anymore. This is usually the site I sell most of the stuff on and Kijiji and thats it usually now. Just because its cheap or new means nothing to me if Im buying. You can always tell if something is stolen anyways. I went to buy 7 reels recently from a guy and when I showed up. They were all new without boxes and papers etc. Usually means they were stolen. I declined to buy them.

Others either have hook ups with distributors, reps and/or manufacturers themselves. Or buy at clubs/shows and resell. I have seen stuff I have sold show up in some classifieds before, right after purchase.

Doesn't really matter where they get them from as long as they are not stolen, if it's a good deal grab it!

Exactly. Some folks probably have sweet hookups with the above as well as tackle shops and have connections to a Pro that is sponsored. I'm not sure but I'm thinking there is a very generous margin from cost-retail for rods & reels.

For me I do a lot of buying online , be it Ebay , Kijiji or fishing forums like these `and when a good Deal comes up on Something i think i want i buy it . Sometimes its a combo i want buy but only want the Reel or the other way around , so i buy the combo and sell the reel or rod off and get myself an even beter deal on the item i want to keep

I'll give you an example

Last week i was on Kijiji Looking at gear and i came across a combo for sale it was a Shimano Ci4 2500 spinning reel on a fenwick HMX rod i had no itentions of using the fenwick but i knew what it was worth and figured i could sell it i bought the Combo for $170 sold the rod for $60 . So someone got a 6 month old fenwick for $30 under retail and still under warranty and i got a like new Ci4 reel for $110 win win for both of us

Also I see things i may like for myself so i buy them because they are a good deal just to try them, because i know i can get my money back out of them by just putting it back up for sale , I never make any Money selling the items i buy and resell , its more so i can just get it and hold it first hand , a lot of shops around here dont carry a lot of high end model rods and if they do you cant sit there for an hour making sure you like it , I'm also the guy that tackle shops dont like to see cause i never buy new rods or reels from a store they always come from an online selling site be it ebay or whatever .

Try it find a model of rod you like in a store just pick one , say a G loomis NRX look at the retail price in the store it'll be around $475 plus taxes and your travel time but i bet you if i look online you can find that rod for $350 no tax have it shipped to your door then if you dont like it you can post it back for sale again and someone else gets the deal and then you know for sure you dont like it or it wont suit your style and type of fishing

its kinda helps pass time for me too some people drink some people buy lots of clothes I buy lots of tackle :D

I am definitely more of a buyer. I now rarely purchase from the store but rarely sell anything because usually when its time to replace its resale value has been greatly diminished. I will be the first to admit I can be hard on my gear but I do keep it for many years.

Selling extra stuff you get at a great deal is fine. I realize some guys are also sponsored and sell of some of their "extra" stuff. I just hate it when they lie to you. Telling you that they only used it a couple of times and now need to sell off extra gear when in fact, they have never used it.

Why lie? Be honest and some of us may be more inclined to buy it. I have run into guys selling their own used boats but they are just a small time boat "dealer', buying and selling boats that may have come from the U.S.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Edited by motion

I agree with all the responses above. I think the OP may be referring to me. At one point, I had >20 items listed on the classified section. :) There are still quite a few left. I buy stuff when they are on sale, thinking that they are nice to have and the prices are right. But then after a while, I realize I don't really need all these things. So I'm really glad that there is a secondary market for them. I usually offer to sell at reasonably low prices so that it's a win win for everyone. Most are very high quality gears. And I try to be very clear about the condition if I have used it even just once or twice.

Impulse shopping is definitely a problem with me. :) The biggest joy for me is the time I bring home a new toy and play around with it. But then after a few weeks, the novelty wears off and the Visa bill comes. Of course I usually only buy stuff at good prices. So that if I need to sell them off, I can at least break even. But I would hardly call it a side business to make money, because the $10 or $20 you "earn" here and there (if there is) hardly justifies the effort. I view it as more of a hobby -- like collecting stamps!

When I was in Japan a few months ago, I encountered and bought a whole bunch of interesting reels (which would otherwise be inaccessible from here, or at least way more expensive). Obviously I bought way too many. As a result, I needed to sell off some of them, although I still kept most of the stuff I like for my personal enjoyment. :)

Now as far as how many rods I actually own, I'm sure there are many here who have way more. I try to balance the buy/sell activities so that I have about 60 at any time. Whether I use all of them is another matter. But hay it's just a hobby!

Most of my gear I have now, has come from guys that were sponsored and sell off . I have gotten some great deals this way. I stay incontact with them cuz it saves me money in the end. Selling them later is not an option with me. I just pass it off to my boys or pop.LOL

I recently have been buying lures from a good contact. He,s making a few coins and Im saving some. To me, it,s a win win for all. Buying new lucky crafts in the box for half the market price? You tell me. :clapping:

As far as OFC is concerned, there are rules to abide by. The seller must not be a commerce. A member (seller or buyer) must have a minimum of 20 posts to the discussion forum...that was put in place to lessen the chance of spammers accessing the community. It goes without saying that the sale or attempted sale of ill-gotten goods will be dealt with severely.

Otherwise, all is good and it really is a win win for both parties. Your (our) classified section is very popular and we'd like to keep it running as long as it's not abused.

Thanks for your responses. I can see how if you keep an eye out for really good deals and take your time selling it off, you could break even or maybe even do slightly better.

I never meant to imply that any of the sellers here on the OFC classifieds are doing anything they shouldn't. I don't suspect any of the merchandise featured there is stolen or in some way ill-gotten. Definitely (as some posters have said) when deals are struck it is a "win-win" for both parties. I just know that when I buy fishing equipment...I don't plan on getting rid of it until I lose or break it. Different strokes though, right?

Too be honest I'm a little jealous I don't still live down south so I could get in on some of the deals I see posted here. There is almost never quality used gear for sale up here in Sudbury. I guess a lot of Northerners have the same attitude as me when it comes to selling off their stuff.

I'm going to camp for 6 days...see you folks when I get back.

Edited by fishNwire

Thanks for your responses. I can see how if you keep an eye out for really good deals and take your time selling it off, you could break even or maybe even do slightly better.

I never meant to imply that any of the sellers here on the OFC classifieds are doing anything they shouldn't. I don't suspect any of the merchandise featured there is stolen or in some way ill-gotten. Definitely (as some posters have said) when deals are struck it is a "win-win" for both parties. I just know that when I buy fishing equipment...I don't plan on getting rid of it until I lose or break it. Different strokes though, right?

Too be honest I'm a little jealous I don't still live down south so I could get in on some of the deals I see posted here. There is almost never quality used gear for sale up here in Sudbury. I guess a lot of Northerners have the same attitude as me when it comes to selling off their stuff.

I'm going to camp for 6 days...see you folks when I get back.

See now we are jealous of what you have. Free time to enjoy nature in your own backyard is some thing we can not buy . We have to make due with a few new trinkets to keep us going. Sometimes the grass is really greener on your side of the fence.

Art