New Boater - Boat Launch Advice and Etiquette

On the trailer coupler, when you push the latch down, you will see a hole that you can put a padlock through, do it! Then depending what type of hitch you have on your car/truck, the 2" x 2" draw bar and ball has a 1/2" or 5/8" pin that goes through it, there are models available you can replace with a locking version. At least it will keep the slow crooks from stealing the trailer from you when your on the water or at home. Cehck eith at Princess Auto or CTC for the type of locks you need. At least if some unscroupulous cretin takes it, you can tell the insurance thugs you went and put forth the extra effort.

Another launching tip on top of the many good ones already mentioned.

If there is designated in & out ramps never use the wrong one just because no one else is, unless directed by a staff member. It's tempting when your 6th in line & the other ramp is empty but sure enough as soon as you block the ramp, another boater will pull up wanting to use the proper ramp that you are wrongly blocking. Instant ramp rage. Also even if there is no problem others will see it & follow your lead. I spent one year as a lake patrol officer at a busy conservation area and have seen this problem blow up at the ramp many times.

Also observe all no wake areas. This includes near the ramps, within 30 metres of the shore or any other marked areas. Nothing will upset other boaters who are launching or recovering thier boats quicker than the jerk that pulls away from the ramp at full throttle.

Best Wishes: Rick

Love2Fish:

The only time my trailer coupler IS NOT locked, it when it is sitting in my garage. Whether trailering, parked at a launch, parked for an overnight stay at a motel, or even sitting around at camp, I always keep it locked. It would be wise to pick one up. I have two keys with mine, I keep one on the ring with my boat keys (probably not the best idea) and a spare that does not leave the truck.

This is not a 100% guarantee that someone won't try to make off with it ..... it did happen near one of the camps I was staying at in Eastern Ontario. Big bass fishing tournament going on. Right across the street from where we stay, were a number of trailers being stored for the day. Even though one of the trailers was locked, somebody tied a rope to the trailer and tried to haul it away. The theory didn't work too well, as the trailer was found in a ditch a km or two up the road.

That brings up something else I do and that is to have a spare key for the boat ignition. I always have a spare in the truck and a spare in my tackle box (the one I have with me). I'm debating on getting another one made and hide it in the boat. I got a couple key rings with little buoys that float ... just in case of an accidental drop in the drink. You may want to consider getting a spare or two. My father also has a spare key that he keeps in his wallet.

As someone else already mentioned, this is a great thread you started and there are a lot of tips and sound advise by the members here. I'm sure we can all pick up something from this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Edited by Rich Clemens

A spare tire for your trailer is an ABSOLUTE must have item.

You'll have to check the tire size on the tires already on the trailer and then match them up, and also be sure the wheel has the same number of lugs as already installed.

Another thing is to check the wheel wrench for your car to see if it'll fit the lugs on your trailer wheels as their not all the same size and you may have to buy a seperate one but their not expensive.

Spares are not universal the size on my trailer is 175/80-13 5 bolt pattern which is a very common size.

I would think BPS should carry them they usually have lots of trailer parts if not any tire dealer can order these,and like I mentioned before buy a locking device so you can lock the tire to the trailer because someone will steal it,I have situations in the past were dirt bags used my trailer as ther own personal parts supply store.

Make sure you check your tire wrench the one in your vehicle might not work on your trailer.

And one last point when your storing your trailer try to cover the tires the UV rays of the sun will break down the rubber.

This is what happens if you don't properely follow all the steps.

IM000469.jpg

IM000470.jpg

LOL-I was rollerblading there yesterday; how come I don't get to see that-and how did it not make the Spec??

In terms of helpful suggestions, the "hand at the bottom of the wheel" is a good one. There were lots of references about practicing in a parking lot etc. One of the most important things is to get a sense of how quickly your rig will respond. I've got 2 tow vehicles and it's quite different between them even with the same trailer on the back. When I'm with the family, it's the mini-van and I find it helpful to have the back hatch open for better visibility. Also, adjusting your mirrors downwards can get you a better view of the ramp edges, especially when your trailer is on the incline but your vehicle isn't that far back yet.

Thanks again for all of the usefull advice, I never would have gotten this much detail from the marina where i purchased the boat. When i picked up the boat and trailer i forgot to ask about a spare tire. Are trailer tires universal? Would bass pro shops cary spares for all types of trailers? Is this a must item?

You can check with Princess Auto near you. They usually have an excellent selection of wheels and tires. I don't know what was put on your trailer, but I'll wager it was not the best tire.

While your there picking up your coupler lock and receiver locks look at there tire selection. Look for a 13" radial tire and rim, usually about $79. and replace your exsiting tires/rims. Your trailering will go a lot smoother.

Also pick up a good set of bearing buddies. This will keep the wheel bearings well lubricated, and will save you the unnecssary repairs of a seized bearing somewhere out in the out of the way, on the way to somewhere.

Take you time and go through these steps, and other steps mentioned by the group, and you will be fine.

John

You can check with Princess Auto near you. They usually have an excellent selection of wheels and tires. I don't know what was put on your trailer, but I'll wager it was not the best tire.

While your there picking up your coupler lock and receiver locks look at there tire selection. Look for a 13" radial tire and rim, usually about $79. and replace your exsiting tires/rims. Your trailering will go a lot smoother.

Also pick up a good set of bearing buddies. This will keep the wheel bearings well lubricated, and will save you the unnecssary repairs of a seized bearing somewhere out in the out of the way, on the way to somewhere.

Take you time and go through these steps, and other steps mentioned by the group, and you will be fine.

John

What's the easiest way to determine the proper sized bearing buddies? I don't have a set of calipers at home.

During take-out, I think the biggest factors are trailer setup and placement in the water.

With the package you have, I expect you have a good trailer with GUIDES so you should have no problems. There is no reason why it shouldn't take more than 1 minute to pull a boat out of the water, regardless of how windy it is, provided you have guides on the trailer and the trailer is sitting properly in the water.

One thing you will want to experiment with is the amount of the "bunk" you put in the water relative to the angle of the trailer in the water (from front to back). I usually back in until about 60-75% of the bunk is covered in water and my trailer guides are still able to do their job. Once you are comfortable with the amount of bunk you put in the water, for the given trailer angle, with the trailer guides you should be laughing. A key thing to watch for, is keeping the trailer axle horizontal. If one wheel is down lower than the other, you can have challenges getting the boat positioned properly.

In summary, you can easily get a 1 minute exit with the following:

- Guides are a must

- Keep the trailer axle horizontal (parralel) with the water surface

- Experiment with the amount of bunk you need to put in the water given the trailer angle into the water and the amount of effort you want to expend if you are manually winching. For me on a typical ramp, it is about 60-75% provided the trailer guides are still effective. For steep ramps, I make sure the guides still do their job.

You are so lucky to have a new rig. I remember when I first got mine, I was listening to the hockey games in the garage waiting for the season to open. Inspecting my tackle of course.

Regards... Guidedog