A Gray Haired Hockey Opinion

bushart

Out of the gate--I'm a "Sens" fan but this has nothing to do with them.

I've watched a lot of hockey over the last 40 something years and seen lots come and go

But in my opinion---Martin St Louis is an awesome electrifying player and I think he's gonna miss out on a time tested franco hockey tradition.

We all remember the dynasty that was the Habs--who drafted rosters right out of the Quebec junior ranks and it kept them elite for a long time.

And...many stars for those Habs had a little title to put with their name for the hockey history books

Rocket Richard

Yvon "road runner"

Pocket Rocket

Big M

And so on

Now I think Vinnie is a fine hockey player but my years tell me St Louis is special

And doing all this with a smaller stature---that guy is 200% heart and drive---Really makes it worth watching the game.

I wish he had that title for his part in history

Me.

Edited by bushart

I've watched a lot of hockey over the last 40 something years and seen lots come and go

But in my opinion---Martin St Louis is an awesome electrifying player and I think he's gonna miss out on a time tested franco hockey tradition.

We all remember the dynasty that was the Habs--who drafted rosters right out of the Quebec junior ranks and it kept them elite for a long time.

And...many stars for those Habs had a little title to put with their name for the hockey history books

Rocket Richard

Yvon "road runner"

Pocket Rocket

Big M

And so on

Now I think Vinnie is a fine hockey player but my years tell me St Louis is special

And doing all this with a smaller stature---that guy is 200% heart and drive---Really makes it worth watching the game.

Me.

I watched Howe, Delviccio and Mahovolich when I was young living just outside of Detroit.I watched Langway,Hunter,Laughlin and Franceschetti(my favorite) in the eighties.I now watch Alex and Alex and Greenie.I would kill to have St Louis come join our Caps.Hate to play him,love his love for the game.

Joe

Daplumma---man I thought this was the year the Caps shook off the demons so I picked them in my pool.

Alex is the guy...but Semin and backstrom were playing like the fish were bitin in the old country :whistling:

he is a great player all heart just like theo fleury was. both are small and had tons of grit and heart.my fav all time player was/is wendel clark. he wasnt big but he hit and faught all the toughest guys in the league and could put up 30 goals a year. closest player to him in todays nhl would be iginla. if clark were starting i todays nhl he would be top 5 highest paid players in the league. miss the 80s/90's nhl

Edited by Lunatic

Daplumma---man I thought this was the year the Caps shook off the demons so I picked them in my pool.

Alex is the guy...but Semin and backstrom were playing like the fish were bitin in the old country :whistling:

Unfortunately, as good as the Caps are, and as good as Ove is, they will never win a cup with him leading that team.

When Ove becomes a much less selfish player, then he may be able to lead a team to a final. But with 2 minute shifts and he is only in it for the glory of himself, maybe the conference finals in the next few years.

Dont get me wrong, I love watching him play, and he is incredible, but he wont lead any team to a cup under his current mentality and style of play...

Unfortunately, as good as the Caps are, and as good as Ove is, they will never win a cup with him leading that team.

When Ove becomes a much less selfish player, then he may be able to lead a team to a final. But with 2 minute shifts and he is only in it for the glory of himself, maybe the conference finals in the next few years.

Dont get me wrong, I love watching him play, and he is incredible, but he wont lead any team to a cup under his current mentality and style of play...

I thought we roll thru the first two rounds at least.Very good observation about Ovi,he should not be a captain but not for the reason you say.He was playing a different scheme the second half of the season and was much less selfish.He is an animal out there and works his but off every minute he is on the ice.He sets a great example for the younger players.He can not motivate the guys ,they love him but some people are not leaders.He is one of them.I would like to see Jason Arnott become the captain and let Alex do what he does best.

Rocket Richard

Yvon "road runner"

Pocket Rocket

Big M

And so on

Me.

Spent a couple of hours with an "NHL Hall of Fame'r" and he pretty much agrees with ya.

Edited by nofish4me

In my early teens,I would always talk, hockey talk with Andy Bathgate. He owned the local driving range in Brampton. Some great stories and rounds of golf, where shared. :thumbsup_anim:

Another fired up player was Rocky Saganot (sp?)

Edited by Misfish

Thats cool Nofish4me

What I really like about him is he wants to win ---now lots of guys are paid like him or more and they do not show his intensity and he has a mean set of skills with that puck.

Wonder how Calgary feels for lettin him go years ago?