Short Fishing Story

Two of us left my house at 4:15 a.m. Thursday and made it to the airways in Red Lake at 2:30 p.m. Friday. The ride was exactly 1500 miles. Only 9 people are in camp this week for a little pike fishing. Weather turned good the day we arrived. We'll have plenty of sunshine & warm temps for the rest of the week. We'll be joined by the rest of our party Friday afternoon and will start eating walleyes Saturday.

If sleep is healing, I'm going to be cured. We're hitting the water around 10 a.m. and getting off around 7 p.m. Why fish pike when they're not active. Others are fishing with dead bait and with a lot of success. Most of our pike are eating Suicks and Johnson Silver Minnows. We've caught none under 35", but only a few over 40". They are out there and they're aggressive. We're boating our share of nice pike.

Friday night - slept 11 hours

Saturday night - slept 10 hours

Sunday night - slept 9 hours

Less sleep next week due to the evening walleye bite and 11 p.m. dinner hour.

We've been wanting a pike dinner, but can't run across a couple o 26 inchers for the fish cooker.

A Beaver just took 5 guys to town, which leaves us with only 4 guests in camp. We'll be full for the walleye opener and roads on the lake will be a little crowded, especially in the mouth of Rat House River. Ease through there and you'll have it made.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

Have the best time up there, Connie. You too Phil. I know how much you guys look forward to this trip every year. Get the cameras rolling and save up some stories for us!

Have the best time up there, Connie. You too Phil. I know how much you guys look forward to this trip every year. Get the cameras rolling and save up some stories for us!

Thanks Roy

Heck I may even be able to post a real fishing report when I return :lol:

Geez Connie, I just missed you by about 3 weeks this year. I've been in Red Lake for the better part of 14 months and just wrapped things up recently. I know how much you love that area, so enjoy it my friend. I hope that both you and Phil have the time of your lives.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Yesterday was a great fishing day with warm temps and calm water, but catching sucked. Rapids that produced a dozen good pike the first two days gave up only 3 or 4 yesterday. We gave several shallow bays a good chance to produce, but all we saw were little pike. Water in the bays was warming and would make great recovery areas for mother pike that had recently spent days in labor. It should happen soon.

In case we miss the good bite we should find pike feeding on walleyes, but we won't be able to locate walleyes until the Saturday opener. I know where they are and they'll soon be moving from spawning areas and will be bank to bank in certain parts of creeks and rivers. We'll get together.

Good thing I didn't beat on Dan's door like last year or some stranger who was serious about sleeping may have become upset.