New Weedless Crankbaits Coming This Summer

An American company called Bites Back Lures says it will introduce a new line of weedless crankbaits at the ICAST show, held this July in Las Vegas.

From what I can gather, these baits use stainless steel spring hooks that remain hidden in a cavity in the body until a fish hits. The hooks then “self deploy in a rearward direction into the mouth of the fish.” The line apparently attaches directly to the hook and not to the body of the lure, sort of like it does on a J-Plug.

I have no idea if these things catch fish or not, but I'm willing to take a look. Click here for more info and pics.

And here I thought that ICAST was above that kind of gimmick. :) I have a feeling that IF they are legal in Ontario, you'll find a few more fishermen in the walk-in clinics on the weekends. :)

I don't think these would be allowed in ontario under the spring powered setting of hooks rules in the regs.... Sounds almost like a spring loades gaf on the end of your line.

I was going to say the same thing

I'm not clear on how MNR would view the spring-loaded hooks either. If it's just a matter of springing them out from their little pockets, that's one thing. But if the mechanism actively drives the hook point into the fish, that's quite another. I've never held one of these things in my hand, so I have no idea how it actually works.

I think Roy hit it on the head - we'll see a lot more people (like me) with one of these things stuck in their hand!

yep, I bet I could "self-deploy" one of those hooks into my hand within the first 15 seconds of handling it.

During a staff meating on how to properly use an epipen, I managed to inject myself with a live pen through my thumb. Fastest way to end a staff meeting.

Here is what my son got a few years ago (Right after the Sponge Bob rod).

There have the hook up inside the lure and when you pull on the eye of the hook it spins out the bottom. I was thinking that they would be effective if they wern't toys.

Safety Lures

Rattling Safety Lures

They also have a lite up safety lure.

In my experience it isn't the hooks that catch the majority of the weeds, it is the line draping across the weeds then the bait running into the weed and getting wrapped around the bait itself, not the hook.

No way that will be weedless, but people will probably buy it anyway.