Just a really nice thing to do

This past weekend marked the 24th anniversary for the Dofasco Angling Club's annual fishing event in Hamilton. Each year these guys stock a swimming pool in Hamilton with trout and invite hundreds of challenged kids and people with special needs to come out and catch a fish. The Hamilton Rotary Sunshine Club funds the whole works.

This is a really, really nice thing that these volunteers do every year, and they should be applauded for it.

Next year is the 25th anniversary. Wouldn't it be nice if this kind of program could extend into other communities across Ontario? Perhaps its a project some OFC types might be interested in piking up ...... just thinking out loud.

Click here to watch a video of this year's event.

Seeing as how this event is just around the corner from me I took a walk over there to spend some time yesterday as well as see my friends from the Stelco Fishing Club who are also volunteering their time for a great event. The crowd was large and the fish were plenty, I did see a number caught while I was there but it wasn't fast and furious. smile.gif

Here's are own Fish Farmer who helped out for a few days.....

pooltrout1.JPG

My friend Tibor who's been there everyday.....

pooltrout2.JPG

and a couple of random shots, you can see the bottom of the pool is black with trout.

pooltrout3.JPG

pooltrout4.JPG

and a video link from the local news paper....

videozone

Kudos to the organizers of this event. It is nice to see individuals with special needs able to enjoy the thrill of catching a fish. The funny thing is my wife who is very involved in the care community that surrond this community has not heard very much of this event before.