cottage suggestions

hi09

Hey folks, wanted to get some input from you folks.

I want to plan a small get away trip with my mom and dad. They are fairly old, and i am thinking the whole camping via tents wont work out. I live in mississauga, and want to get to a decent place where i can rent a cabin or cottage for a couple days. I have the kids with me 4 & 2 so 3 hour drives up north wont work. Anyone been to a cottage or cabin 1 -2 around toronto that they can recommend?

any input as always is much appreciated...thanks

I want to plan a small get away trip with my mom and dad. They are fairly old, and i am thinking the whole camping via tents wont work out. I live in mississauga, and want to get to a decent place where i can rent a cabin or cottage for a couple days. I have the kids with me 4 & 2 so 3 hour drives up north wont work. Anyone been to a cottage or cabin 1 -2 around toronto that they can recommend?

Don't limit yourself to 1-2 hours cuz the kids are young...you'd be amazed what they can handle and they'll appreciate it later! Maybe a drive to Tobermory and a boat ride to Manitoulin?

I know a guy I used to chum with (40 or so years ago) has a tourist resort called Fees Landing near the kawartha lakes, guess you could google it, he has had Charlie Wray up doing shows with him so the fishing must be ok,. I have seen the web site and it looks like a decent place but I don't know the travel time involved from your area. But take a look, it might be worth your while.

Edited by grt1

I know it's not up north or anything but there is always Port Dover you can rent cabins or cottages along the beach and they are nice the beach is great and always things to do plus the fishing is always great on Lake Erie there is even Turkey Point another nice spot. Like I said though it's nothing like up north but it's a cool town and good fishing down there you can even catch plenty of good perch of the pier. Kids will love it and as well the parents nice resturaunts for a night plus anything you may need for a nice dinner.

From Missisauga Kawartha lakes is probably the safest bet with your driving restrictions. I'm sure some of the guys who live up there can chime in with a cottage recommendation.

Bay of Quinte and the Honey Harbour area of georgian bay are two other destination options.

I've been hauling my kids 7 hours up to our camp since they were born so you may indeed be limiting yourself. You may be surprised what they can endure.

don't worry about the kids. I've driven with mine at that age to Myrtle Beach and the kids are fine for the first 10 hours. It's the last 6 that are a bugger! Pop in "Barnie" and you're good to go (although you will want to kill someone after 5 minutes)

Green Acres, Camp Astabula, Fees Landing, Pigeon Lake Resort are a few on Pigeon Lake (Kawarthas) that are worth checking out. Most have swimming, but probably not the greatest beaches.

You have to go to Haliburton, Muskoka or Georgian Bay for better swimming.

Rice Lake has many resorts around the lake.

Other Lakes in the Kawarthas that you can check online are Buckhorn, Sturgeon, Stoney and Balsam.

I'd also recommend Rice Lake.

Muskie Bay Resort - Nice place, well maintained, good prices, great rental boats, small restaurant on site, outdoor pool.

Elmhirst's Resort - Very nice cottages, restaurants on site, a bit expensive, mediocre rental boats, indoor and outdoor pool.

Golden Beach Resort - Large resort, many families, rental boats are ok, price is average, the more expensive cottages are much nicer, outdoor pool.

Rice lake has many other places as well.

So far, I have found that most of the resorts at the other Kawartha lakes aren't as nice as those on Rice Lake, but obviously I haven't been to them all.

Edited by FishLogic

I am also going to recommend the Kawarthas Lake area but will go one step better....get a HOUSE BOAT for the long weekend....when my boys were 2 and 3 years old we took them and my in-laws on a week long house boat vacation...everyone still talks about that to this day (more then 20 years later)... here a just two place to rent them...

http://www.happydayshouseboats.com/contact.htm

http://www.houseboat.on.ca/

THIS WILL BE A VACATION EVERYONE WILL ENJOY.... :D

Bob

The houseboat idea would be great. All depends on cost. As for Georgian Bay, I can direct you to a couple of options in the Honey Harbour area. Depends on what you want and availability. HH is decent because you don't need to leave the town to get anything, there is a liquor store and the Town Centre has groceries, bait, hardware, etc... The Delawana Inn would be great but it is kinda pricey but includes all meals. Lots to do there for the kiddies.

Try coles point resort on the Trent river. Just west of the mouth of Rice lake. The fishing is fantastac and there is a TON of kids activiies on the weekends. They generally do somthing every saturday for the kids. The best part is they are only an hour and a half from Toronto! They rent cottages and boats. They have a store and an onsite laundry! www.colespoint.ca Ask for Scott...Tell him the Ritchie family sent ya! Yes we camp there and do get a credit for referals...lol

I want to plan a small get away trip with my mom and dad. They are fairly old, and i am thinking the whole camping via tents wont work out. I live in mississauga, and want to get to a decent place where i can rent a cabin or cottage for a couple days.

You have not stated what time of the year your looking at.

If it's July or August you will be very hard pressed to find anyplace that rents a cottage for a couple of days. Weekly rentals are the norm.

Hi this link is to a great place close to you http://fourinfo.cioc.ca/record/SHA1409 fishing is great and prices great.

Good Fishing.

wow... folks seriously THANKS Alot, i think i have good info above to get a good plan set up...from what i see in and around kawartha lakes seems to be my best bet, and i am thinking what you folks are saying is true, perhaps limiting my self to just 2 hours is no good.. but let me research a bit more and i will defo keep you posted..thanks again folks!

Try coles point resort on the Trent river. Just west of the mouth of Rice lake. The fishing is fantastac and there is a TON of kids activiies on the weekends. They generally do somthing every saturday for the kids. The best part is they are only an hour and a half from Toronto! They rent cottages and boats. They have a store and an onsite laundry! www.colespoint.ca Ask for Scott...Tell him the Ritchie family sent ya! Yes we camp there and do get a credit for referals...lol

just got off the phone with Earla....i am really liking this place!

The houseboat idea would be great. All depends on cost. As for Georgian Bay, I can direct you to a couple of options in the Honey Harbour area. Depends on what you want and availability. HH is decent because you don't need to leave the town to get anything, there is a liquor store and the Town Centre has groceries, bait, hardware, etc... The Delawana Inn would be great but it is kinda pricey but includes all meals. Lots to do there for the kiddies.

well really i just want a place where the grand parents can hang out with the grand kids, litte camp fire at night type thing. Something close to a lake for fishing would be ideal...can you suggest anything around HH