BRP 10 hour inspection

Anyone familar with the required BRP 10 hour inspection on new outboards.

Just like to know the time it takes ,cost and what is involved exactly and if it has to be exactly 10 hours or could it be a little less or a little more? thanks

I just purchased a new boat and motor and was told i had to bring in for a 20 hour inspection. I guess it is different from one place to the next. In my Merc manual it say 10hrs toodunno.gif AS long as its close to the hour it shouldnt be a problem.

Don't know what they're gonna see on a 2 stroke... but on a four stroke demand that they cut the oil filter open.. and then open the filter pleats and hand search for "metal". If they don't know what you're talking about, find a new mechanic.

Now if that BRP is an Etech.. so much for the bragging about no service before 300 hours!

Lower unit oil change is in order after the first 20 hours as well.. 2 stroke or 4 stroke.. again checking for "metal" in the drain bucket or signs of water from improperly installed/seated seals.

Spark plugs out for a look to see it's burning correctly and enjoy.

Anyone familar with the required BRP 10 hour inspection on new outboards.

Just like to know the time it takes ,cost and what is involved exactly and if it has to be exactly 10 hours or could it be a little less or a little more? thanks

Sounds like its just a 10hr inspection I don't think it would take long or cost anything. The only thing I recommend on the etec is do you lower gear oil in the 75-100hr range I just did mine it looks good(very small amount of metal on the magnets) but I think it would be a lot worse at 300hrs.

If anyones interested in an inexpensive way of keeping track of the hours on your motor and you don't already have an hourmeter on your boat, you can pick up one of these from most boat dealers.

It just velcro's to any convenient spot on your motor under the cowling

Cnv0642.jpg

Then run the wire back and wrap it around one of your spark plug wires.

Cnv0643.jpg

Makes a nice neat installation and is actually quite acurrate. I've checked it out several times before and after a long day of trolling and it's right on.

Cnv0644.jpg

Inspections are a "recommendation" and they can't void warrantee if you don't do them. Now if you already changed gear and motor oil.. what the hell are they inspecting? The 20 hour was the only inspection I let the dealer do.. and I had to show a Verada certified tech that there is indeed a drain plug on a Verada as he was trying to suck the oil out thru the dipstick hole (maybe that's why they call it that). After that I maintain it myself and in no way am I invalidating my warrantee. I buy my oil/filter/etc over the counter at the dealer for proof materials have been purchased, but even that isn't required.

A friend of mine blew the motor on his truck. He had done all the oil changes himself. They didn't want to warranty it due to lack of proof of service. He took in all his oil and filter reciepts and the records he keeps himself and they replaced his motor....Mike, he used to be on here.

Since outboards are still made by man, we must always allow for a bad lemon in the bunch. This bad lemon usually shows up within the first 20 hours of running time. It's just a pre-caution, same thing with breaking in an outboard. It gives all the moving parts time to meet and greet each other :)

the motor is a 4 stroke and the 10 hr inspection is a requirement for the warranty. I called a dealer and he says about 80 bucks without changing the gear and motor oil,which I did in the fall.

Are you sure that it is a four stroke? I wasn't aware that BRP made a four stroke outboard. I checked their web site and it only mentions E-Tec; nothing about four strokes.

Are you sure that it is a four stroke? I wasn't aware that BRP made a four stroke outboard. I checked their web site and it only mentions E-Tec; nothing about four strokes.

Yes it is a 4 stroke Johnson 70 hp. I bought it brand new last year. It came with the 3 year BRP warranty even though it was a left over model.