Casting Deck on the Deep V boat

ra95

Any one knows why all Deep V boat has a low casting deck? I only know my dream boat Tracker Touranament V18, which is a deep V with high casting deck but unfortunately it is discontinued.

So my question is, OFNers, serious anglers:

1. Do you feel it is bugging you a lot while fishing (especially bass) on a casting deck not high enough?

2. Is there a reason that few boat maker provides deep V with a high deck?

3. Any replacement choice for Touranament V18?

Thanks

I have a semi-deep V on my Grumman with what you would consider a low platform but not as low as some....although I'm not a bass chaser I don't find it impeding while fishing up front running my trolling motor.

But now back to the original question....I believe the reason Deep V Boats manufactures don't build a high platform is two fold.

#1 Deep V boats are much less stable because of their Deep V design which by the way it built that way to break high waves.

#2 Most buyers of Deep V boats are more walleye chasers then bass men.

Bob

Thanks for replies, they help me to understand the reason.

But the fact upsets me that I can afford to fishing bass or walleye with different rod while apparently it is out of rage if I have to do them with different boat ...

My original purpose to have a deep V is for Simcoe fishing 20% and bass fishing 80% ... :(

Don't let that deter you James. Can you fish Bass in a Deep V..sure you can. Is it easier out of a bass boat....yes.

Mostly becasue there is less draft in a bass boat, no sides, and you do not get blown around as much.

If you are fishing big water often the Deep V is a no brainer especailly for the multi-species angler.

good Luck

Edited by Harrison

buy a 621 ranger problem solved

Yeah, buy a new 621 and just live it in. What are they at now, $65,000+ ? My deam ride. One day.

Edited by Harrison

BASS BOAT! Never will understand why people but a 12' then a 16' then a 18fiberglass then once there old and through a dozen they get the perfect rig....wait, I wont but a boat for 3...4...6 more years and when I do it will be a boat that will last me 10+ years...sure they are expensive to have and maintain but I would rather make 1 investment then well 4 or 5 ;) Just me personal opinion, I like the princecraft boat on Fish'n Canada, seems to be 6-10inches above the deck...not sure the model but it's a nice deep boat with "bass like" casting deck.

BASS BOAT! Never will understand why people but a 12' then a 16' then a 18fiberglass then once there old and through a dozen they get the perfect rig....wait, I wont but a boat for 3...4...6 more years and when I do it will be a boat that will last me 10+ years...sure they are expensive to have and maintain but I would rather make 1 investment then well 4 or 5 ;) Just me personal opinion, I like the princecraft boat on Fish'n Canada, seems to be 6-10inches above the deck...not sure the model but it's a nice deep boat with "bass like" casting deck.

Pete came into Le Baron one time while I was still working there.

He was trailering that boat so it was sitting in the parking lot.

Let me tell you, that thing is a MONSTER.

Edited by ADB

Same reason you don't walk to work for 5 years until you can afford your dream car. I would rather have something for now until I can afford my dream boat, wait... I have my dream boat! Until my dreams change in a few years.

I started off with an 18 foot '89 Springbok Tournament Pro, fairly rare boat that was aluminum with a high casting deck rated for a 150HP motor. I liked the versatility of the aluminum, but man, did it get blown around the lake. Also, being my first boat, aluminum was way more forgiving when beaching, loading and docking.

When I went to upgrade, I also looked at the V18 and liked what I saw. For me again, it came back to the wind factor.

I ended up with a Triton glass boat and I don't think I'd go back to aluminum unless I started fishing bigger water in more inclement weather. The boat I have now suits my fishing style and that is what is most important.

Tracker also has the avalanche and tundra type boats that are bass-like, aluminum boats. They are expensive up here, but can be had real cheap in the states. You may also be able to find a V18 down there. Check out boattraderonline. With the dollar as strong as it is now, hard not to buy in the states.

Same reason you don't walk to work for 5 years until you can afford your dream car. I would rather have something for now until I can afford my dream boat, wait... I have my dream boat! Until my dreams change in a few years.

Lol, I see your point but it's as easy as dealing with your old boat for a few more years....to spend 15 or 20k on a boat you feel will be upgraded to and sold for 60% less is not a way to save money in my eyes, and through financing and a strong strong down payment makes it a rig you love to pay little for little for while not worrying about the flaw's and "i wishes" that are inconvenient about the craft...I'll be at the OFC get togethers in mr 12' i have and although the smallest boat you will see come a decade or 6 years later I'll be running the biggest sexiest boat...some don't need it and thats fine but as a bass angler I'm chasing the perfect boat for the job...that is when my education is complete ;)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

My lund has a low casting deck and I don't see it being a problem for flippin and pitchin but it was the closest to the gunnels that I saw other than the predator line only 10" of gunnel above the deck my lund is also pretty low in the water so it doesn't get blown around that bad and I have been out while it was howling out already, drift socks slow her right down when it's real bad

Lol, I see your point but it's as easy as dealing with your old boat for a few more years....to spend 15 or 20k on a boat you feel will be upgraded to and sold for 60% less

Boats don't depreciate that badly I just paid more than the 15-20k for my lund knowing full well that I will be buying a fully rigged bass boat with all the toys down the road but untill my son is older and I have a full size 4x4 truck the lund is the way to go for me .BTW it's called 2 footitis and every boat owner will suffer from it at one time :whistling:

James no offence buddy but there have been too many rants on this board about Tracker boats poor quality.Also known as Cracker.

Some board members have had issues with these boats and getting service from Tracker has been hell to be served properly.

I would look at a new boat company if I was you.

Boats don't depreciate that badly I just paid more than the 15-20k for my lund knowing full well that I will be buying a fully rigged bass boat with all the toys down the road but untill my son is older and I have a full size 4x4 truck the lund is the way to go for me .BTW it's called 2 footitis and every boat owner will suffer from it at one time :whistling:

Your right, it's not a fact but a 20k boat after 5 or so years could only resell for 11-15k at the most...I just think why not go big and anjoy it...after all to sell a big rig for 30k down from 50+ to sell if you need to downsize seems like a better option...use the money to pay the un affordable debt and to get yourself that 10k small craft that is more reasonable. Ugh it's too early to talk bad about boats :P

A couple thoughts came to mind regarding low/high casting decks;

1) Many deep-v are constructed to accomodate passenger seating in the bow; like a modified bowrider. In the tin boat industry they're often referred to as "Fish-N-Ski". In family mode, insert the cushions.

2) A deep-v may require bracing at a lower point to prevent collapsing. A high deck would leave the hull unsupported where the bow meets the water during wave hits. On shallow hulls, less an issue.

Well your bass boats got their start in southern waters, granted that some of the lakes there are very large, but most are man made and better sheltered than most of the great lakes. Just usually not the amount of rough water you see farther north. As I recall the early Rangers were a tri-hull? an OK boat for calm waters, heck they still use a lot of jon boat style boats in the south.

Casting decks on deep v`s deeper in the boat? A drier fishing experience, lower center of gravity in rough water, less chance of going swimming.

A bass boat with lower sides catches less wind, will usually get into shallower water, a stable platform to fish from.

The deep v`s with a lower casting deck do pose challenges in tournaments, but they can be compensated for.

You are right. It is time to shopping around, e.g. Lund...

thanks,

James no offence buddy but there have been too many rants on this board about Tracker boats poor quality.Also known as Cracker.

Some board members have had issues with these boats and getting service from Tracker has been hell to be served properly.

I would look at a new boat company if I was you.

You are right. It is time to shopping around, e.g. Lund...

thanks,

Now you're on the right track if you want to fish for some big walleyes and trout/salmon on the big waters...if you only want to chase those LITTLE bass then you only need a small gunnel boat to catch those tiny fish... :whistling: